Milwaukee hotel with/near spa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Milwaukee in June and want to stay in a nice hotel and treat myself to a day spa massage/body wrap/manicure etc. Does anyone have a recommendation for hotels, spas, etc., also restaurants nearby. I'm attending a convention and this is also a getaway, four nights without the dh and kiddies, so I'm looking to maximize my girl stuff time. Thanks.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Downtown is most fun. The Pfister is the nicest. It is close to the lakeshore and there is lots to do there, especially in summer. It doesn't have a spa in-house but if you search "day spa" in Yahoo's yellow pages you will find lots of choices. Sorry I don't have a recommendation for any of them because I've never been but my b-day is coming and I plan to treat myself soon.
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 12:00 PM

beeper,

Do you need to be downtown for your convention. If so, the Milwaukee Hilton is across the street from the Convention Center. It is a large grand scale hotel that has recently been refurbished. Plus there is a great restaurant there called the Milwaukee Chop House. The Wyndham is also a good choice and you may want to consider the Hotel Metro if you are looking for a smaller boutique type accomodation.

JoeG
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi. Thanks for the recs so far. Yes, the convention is at the Midwest Express center. The Hilton is one of the "official" hotels; the Pfister is not. I don't mind walking a few blocks, though. Between Joe and SaraLou you mentioned the four places I was considering. If you were going to stay in one of the four, which would you pick? Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:02 PM

beeper:

With all of your criteria considered, I think that you would do well staying at the Wyndham although any of the four mentioned would be good. It is a very classy hotel with a good location near theaters, restaurants, night spots etc. By the way - what does "dh" stand for?
JoeG
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM

The 2 best spas downtown are Neroli Salon & Spa (Aveda salon) and Spa Roma Urban Day Spa - both are wonderful - enjoy!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:29 PM
JES

The Pfister is the nicest hotel in Milwaukee. It has the most character. Whatever you do, make sure you go to Blu--the bar at the top of the Pfister with a view of the city. If you're lucky they will have live music there as well.
Will you have a car, take a cab, or do you need something within walking distance? A 5 minute drive would be to the Lake Park Bistro--one of the most popular restaurants in Milwaukee--romantic and fun. Coquette Cafe is a charming french bistro somewhat closer to the hotel. It surprisingly inexpensive for great food. Celia's in the Pfister is supposed to be excellent and it's a really nice and cozy setting, but I have not eaten there.
Elsa's is a great trendy restaurant and bar with very cool atmosphere, people watching, and the best burgers (especially the au poivre burger) I have ever had--and I'm not a burger person. It's walking distance from the Pfister.
Hope this helps.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:32 PM
JES

One more note...since you are going in June you will have longer days, so I would make reservations now at the Lake Park Bistro I mentioned above and ask for a table by the window. It's one of the few restaurants that has a gorgeous hilltop view of Lake Michigan. You can dine during sunset.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm booking reservations today. I sure am looking forward to my visit! BTW, "dh" stands for darling husband.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Enjoy your stay here. Milwaukee in the summer is SOOO much fun. In Feb....well.... we keep thinking about how fun it will be when summer comes.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Try Sanford's for dinner. Excellent.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 02:40 PM

I'm with the recommendations for the Pfister or the Hilton. You're talking to a Milwaukee girl here! Even though I don't live there anymore!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 07:48 AM

beeper,

Thanks for clarifying what "dh" means. I've seen it on other posts and am relieved to know it doesn't mean something else.

JoeG
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Just a suggestion, but if you feel like driving for an hour, why not a day or overnight in Kohler, Wisconsin. It's only 60 miles straight north. The American Club (AAA 5 Diamond resort) has one of the best spas in the world according to Conde Nast Traveler.
Here is the link:
http://www.destinationkohler.com/kws/kws.html
Have a great trip!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:11 AM

beeper,
My "dw" just recommended a spa that in June would be a pleasant five or ten minute walk from your hotel - Neroli Salon & Spa - 325 E. Chicago Ave. 414/227-2888.
JoeG