Milwaukee hotel for business trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all...from Italy to Milwaukee...my travels have changed in recent years. I am going on a business trip this week and need to find a nice, safe, yet fairly affordable place to stay in Milwaukee for one night. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:11 PM

A few months ago, we wound up getting a room at the downtown Hilton on Priceline for $35. The hotel staff were very nice and helpful and the hotel location was central for getting around downtown. Only downside was the overnight parking charge of $20.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Depends where your Business Meeting is. There are some nice, safe hotels in the Suburb of Brookfield, also the Hyatt, and Holiday Inn Downtown are nice places
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks very much for the quick responses. I really appreciate your help!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Is it too late to respond? Are you business meetings going to be in downtown Milwaukee or the suburbs? For downtown Milwaukee, there are many nice hotels...InterContinental (formerly the Wyndham), Hilton, Pfister Hotel, as well as lovely smaller "boutique" hotels such as the Ambassador Hotel, Hotel Metro, County Clare Hotel, and others. Too bad you can only stay for one night! Enjoy your visit.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 04:49 AM

Just for the benefit of folks who may pull up this thread sometime as a Milwaukee reference...there is an on-street parking lot directly across from the Hilton that charges waaay less than $20. (And we were able to keep an eye on our car from our hotel room window). The Hilton, however, is not someplace I'd choose to stay again (we got it on P'line), but that's just me. I don't like huge hotels. And our room, though large, was a bit tired.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:51 AM

I live here, I can't believe no body indicated the Airport Hotels! Cheaper safer good enough and 20-30 minutes to downtown
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 01:58 PM

I live in Milwaukee, too, and I certainly would recommend downtown over the airport area.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:03 AM

with all due respect of abram's opionin here is a copy of waht I posted for a Marquette visitor:

Author: sobolik
Date: 02/06/2007, 10:31 pm
I live in South Milwaukee (near Air port) and work at 10th and State (about 10 blocks fron "Down Town" center)a few blocks from Marquette. - West, South and North of Marquette are not real good neighborhoods so be cautious. No 20th and North Ave. after dark on foot sight seeing etc. Even daytime might be risky. Sandwich delivery college student recently murdered , search news stories. We have about 1 murder every 3 days average. But funny true story -acquaintance told to get out of Chicago or else by Police - took bus to Milwaukee Downtown - decided he would rob the first person he saw - the intended victim robbed him! It is not that universally bad or fearful I am just letting you know.
I think the Air Port Hotels are a lot safer. - Consider the airport hotels, good enough, eats and stuff nearby. Downtown can be like a ghost town on Sunday and maybe some Saturdays are light. Takes away from some of the charm of a downtown “ghost town” hotel
You can get downtown from the airport no problem in 30 minutes or less via the Lake Parkway Hwy 794 almost center north edge of the airport (Layton Ave.) Terminus at the Marquette Interchange in downtown Milwaukee, where Interstate 94 and Interstate 43 meet. The highway loses its interstate designation but continues south as WIS 794 and Lake Parkway to the intersection of Pennsylvania and Grange Avenues on Cudahy's west side, paralleling the east side of Mitchell Airport. A weekday might give the edge to a Down Town Hotel if it is next to where the business trip is conducting business.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM

I still disagree. There are not particularly good restaurants by the airport, and certainly nothing to do.

I do not think that the heart of downtown area is unsafe--but I wouldn't consider 10th and State, Marquette, or 20th and North to be the heart of DT. With lots of restaurants and theaters, DT certainbly does not become a ghost town on Sundays. Staying at the Hilton, the Pfister, the Metro, the Intercontinentalwould be in perfectly safe areas.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:22 AM

FYI - The Sheraton at the airport is such a dump that even if we are flying out of MKE, I no longer will bid for a 2.5* in that area on Priceline, just for fear of being 'upgraded' to it. It's old, tired, sprawling and poorly kept up. Last year, on an 85 degree evening, we were checked into a dingy room where the temperature was about 82 and a pathetic excuse for an air conditioner was churning out a weak stream of muggy, lukewarm air. A call to the desk did get us upgraded to a room with working a/c, but it is still someplace I would go to pains to avoid.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Avoid the Astor. It was a bad experience.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I'd go with

Hotel Metro
The Intercontinental

And Marquette is quite a bit west of downtown. It is not a nice area, but it is NOT downtown.

The airport area has a couple of good restaurants, but you'd be missing out on downtown, the Third Ward and Walker's Point.