Midwest worries about NOLA safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I are traveling to NO this week, staying in Le Pavillion Hotel, at the edge of the FQ. We're now hearing that it's unsafe to walk anywhere in NO at night. Anyone have recommendations for us?

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Walking around in most parts of the FQ, you should be fine - follow the standard precautions about not walking alone, be aware of your surroundings, etc. Your hotel is in the central business district, so the streets around it are likely to be pretty quiet at night, so you might consider taking a cab back to the hotel at night.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Agree with Nov....beautiful hotel but somewhat isolated at night.

Not really "the edge" of the FQ, you are sort of an "Island" in between the galleries and museums of the Wharehouse Dist, and the FQ...don't get me wrong...it's not that bad of a location.

During the day no prob walking to the FQ or into the W.D., but at night, it could be pretty sparse and dark the few blocks you need to travel through. Take a cab for a few $ and at least you will save time walking to spend exploring in the FQ.

Overall stick where there are lots of people, and don't wander off in dark streets and you will be fine.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM

You should be fine. Just make sure your concealed weapon permit is up to date and you might want to hit the shooting range before your trip just to knock of the "rust"...
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:18 PM

I've posted this before, but just in case you missed it- the doorways are recessed, so an empty looking street may not be empty. It's best to avoid those at night when possible.

Just be aware of your surroundings, don't flash cash or jewelry, stay where the people are, and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Not true. My husband & I were there very recently and walked almost exclusively. I would stay in the French Quarter or another tourist friendly district, but you should be fine. There is plenty of police presence. Do not believe the hype that is being perpetuated. New Orleans is a safe city. Most violence is criminal on criminal violence. I was there at an "undesirable time" and still had absolutely no problems. It was my 3rd visit to the city.
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM

I would have let Cancan go....if it were not for the word "hype".

There is no hiding from the FBI stats that N.O.is one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S.

It is unfortunate that many are in a state of denial and live in the same world as Peter Pan.

Crime is rampant and while it is not waiting on every corner to beat you over the head, it is widespread and statistically it is a sad situation. The problem for tourist is being in the wrong place at the wrong time...stumbling upon a drug deal or a botched robbery.

I often walk through the quiter parts of the FQ at night to get to my car from meetings or dinner....but I always know where I am and "carry". I have encountered many times "deals" but I quickly change paths and look the other way to avoid conflict. These are in areas that you will not find yourself in if you follow the advice of most posters....that is stay out of areas that are not well traveled.

Like others have indicated, keep to well traveled and patrolled areas to keep safe....but to DENY that crime is a problem is just plain wrong.

Only when the crime in N.O. is fully acknowledged, will there be enough pressure on local officials to finally address the multitude of issues that perpetuate it.

To cmnation...to reiterate you will be fine, have a great time and enjoy yourself.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:02 PM

Take it from a local - people who stay at Le Pavillon take cabs. You should too.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Le Pavillion is a great hotel in a great location. I've walked from the FQ to there on many occasions. It all depends on your comfort level, but that is really not a dangerous part of town.

Cab it if it will make you feel safer.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I've got to comment on cancan's overly rosey picture of safety in NOLA as well. I have been there 3 times, spent about a week each time, and while nothing happened to me either, I would never use that scant experience to declare the city safe. Yes, the threat of crime for tourists is exagerated by a lot of folks, but that doesn't mean the threat does not exist. People just have to be aware, that's all.

I have seen a few drug deals in the FQ and once I saw a fight where someone go thrown into a window on Bourbon street - spectacular shattering of glass and some superficial cuts, but no one seriously hurt. Fortunately no one involved was armed so the fight stopped there.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM

As a frequent visitor to NOLA (probably 15-20 times over the years & twice since Katrina) I've never had the 1st problem. I think being aware & knowing where you are going (or at least acting like it) does much to keep me out of harms way. In addition, I tend to walk pretty fast, so most of the druggies just can't keep up ! On a more serious note, it IS a city, prepare & act accordingly.