Reload this Page >

Midwest Baseball Trip

Search

Midwest Baseball Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM
gapper

Midwest Baseball Trip

I need some help planning an itinerary for a summer midwest baseball trip. We are traveling with our two boys ages 13 and 10. I would like to know the must see attractions and some fun restaurants in each city.

Minneapolis (Marquette Hotel)- 2 days w/night game
Kansas City - (Raphael Hotel) - 1 full day w/night game
St. Louis - (westin) - 2 days w/night game
Chicago - (Omni)- 5 days w/one night game/one day game
Milwaukee - (Pfister) - 1 full day w/one day game

Thank you for any help. We want to get the most out of each city with the small amount of time that we will have.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That sounds like a GREAT TRIP and you and the kids will really get alot out of seeing all those cities side by side.

In Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry is a must as well as the Field Museum of Natural History, Navy Pier and the Shedd Aquarium.

In Milwaukee, a dinner at The Safe House" will be a huge hit for the kids. Ask at the hotel for directions. You have to know the password to get into the restaurant, so don't tell the kids, they will have to do a trick of some kind which is shown on TV in the restaurant. The password is.....(safehouse). Have a great time.

Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:26 PM

In Kansas City I suggest you visit the Steamboat Arabia Museum, the Negro Leagues Baseball Musuem, and Kansas City Jazz Museum. Have BBQ at Arhur Bryant's.

Keith
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Definitely see the Negro Leagues Museum but personally I prefer Gates to Arthur Bryant's, and I've heard amazing things about a bbq place near the stadium. I didn't make it there; we ate fried chicken at Stroud's instead, but maybe you can google it, or someone here can help.

In St. Louis in August you can see the Rams training camp; we went last year and it was fun. Again, you'd have to do some research for the details. I really like going to O'Connell's Pub. Nothing fancy; in fact it's really a pub with great roast beef sandwiches and burgers. I'm jealous; I'm a huge Cardinals fan and can't wait to see the new stadium.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:38 PM

One other thought: Have you tried mapping out a stop at the Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa? We had a fun time there last year, but then, we were going to a Kernels game in Cedar Rapids (Angels Class A farm team) and had some time to kill.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM

I was going to suggest Field of Dreams too! We went there when we lived in Chicago and it was a 500 mile round trip so maybe not do-able for you this time. Really think kids would enjoy it, but only after watching the film. People actually just play ball on the field and you meet folks from all around the world. Great suggestions for the Chicago leg from wantsomesun but make room for pizza (my favorite is Giordano's)! Have a great time!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 05:08 PM
amaclise

For Chicago I suggest the following:

Harry Carey's restaurant (where they exploded the infamous "Bartman Ball")

Deep dish pizza

Walk around Millennium Park

Walk part of the Lake Michigan bike path. Hang out at North Ave Beach and eat on the roof of the boat house there

Hang out in Wrigleyville around Wrigley Field - get burgers or buffalo wings at Yakzees

Go on a speedboat tour of Lake Michigan and ride the ferris wheel at Navy Pier

Go to the top of the Sears Tower or Hancock Building

Get popcorn at Garrett's popcorn on Michigan Ave. See if there's a store the boys (or you!) want to go to, like Abercrombie & Fitch

Go to Ed Debevics for diner food and milkshakes

Take the Architectural River Cruise on the Chicago River - a must do

Take the red line "L" train to both parks for easiest travel