Fun things to do in Indianapolis

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its that time of year again, rather than sending useless gifts across the country, I would like to send a family gift. Any ideas for a gift certificate for a family (2 adults 2 kids) who live in Fishers. A great restaurant? or a great membership?
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM

There is a wonderful children's museum in Indianapolis. I visited with my then 4 / 6 year olds and was blown away. I would imagine that it caters to children maybe up to age 8. Hope that is helpful!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:09 AM

conner prairie outdoor museum. if they live in fishers, they have probably been to the place but there is a very nice restaurant inside this museum. maybe they sell gift cards good for this museum that can aslo be used in the restaurant.

cracker barrell restaurant is also good, they have something for everyone in their menu. has multiple locations in IN and other states. fun restaurant/old fashioned store in one.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 08:46 AM

If the children are young, I'd absolutely recommend the Children's Museum. My in-laws live near Indy, and we took our kids several times when they were little. They LOVED it!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:31 AM

There is also the world-class Indy Zoo; you could get a membership, or for something less pricy, admission to the Butterfly Museum (on the premises).

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 09:47 AM

All of the above are great suggestions. If you think they'd like to attend a play or a concert, check out the newspaper website:

http://www.indy.com/events

There's a lot of talent in Indianapolis that bears watching!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone, I am pretty sure they may have a membership to the Childrens musuem, but that got me thinking what about the Imax, and I am also wondering about the two theatres I saw on the website, that mermaid listed. One is the Beef and Board dinner theatre, the other is the Civic theatre, are those recommended?

Thanks Again
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 06:39 PM

How old are the kids?

We've been to Beef and Boards and enjoyed it. It's a standard dinner theater - not tremendous - but OK.

If they like theater, you could buy tickets for the Broadway series. My sister has season tickets for that and enjoys it. I can't think of the name of the theater (they might vary).

http://www.broadwayacrossamerica.com/index.aspx

My favorite restaurant is the Old Spaghetti Factory - reasonable prices, kid friendly, neat buildings.

There's a hotel in Indy now that has an indoor water park area.

http://www.caribbeancovewaterpark.com/

I see that it is near the Pyramids - that's the general area of Beef and Boards too. You have to stay at the hotel to use the water park. (I haven't been there.)

The IMAX used to be in the children's museum - it's now in the Indiana State Museum.

The Indianapolis 500 has a museum too. They also have tours.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway...?story_id=7890

There's a nice little amusement park in southern Indiana called Holiday World. It's in Santa Claus IN. It offers FREE soft drinks and FREE sunscreen - pretty unusual. It's much smaller than Six Flags and the like - but it does have some coasters that are well rated (according to their signs).

Debbie

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:31 PM

This former Hoosier seconds the motion for Children's Museum, Conner's Prarie, and Indy Zoo. Zoo has some special holiday/seasonal programs throughout year that are very nice. Check their website. Depending on ages of recipients, their interests, and your pocketbook, there's also professional sports (that boy might go "nuts" over a professional basketball game ticket) and I hear they have a little race track in Indy!
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Not knowing the interests of those receiving the gift, another suggestion is Jillian's in downtown Indy. It has a restaurant and many arcade games, virtual bowling, air hockey, etc.... A fun family destination if you're into that type of thing