What do we do now in K.C.

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

What do we do now in K.C.

Hi all. My husband and I spend one weekend every month in Kansas City for visitation with his now 11 yo daughter, we have two other children a girl,13, and a son, 8, we feel we've done just about everything there is to entertain them for these trips(again and again). It's a wonderful time for us to be a whole family, but, we feel we may be boring the kids.
Does anyone have any ideas what to do in the K.C. or St. Jo area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:17 PM

It might help if you'd let us know what you HAVE done, so we don't just suggest those things again.

That said, I would say one of my top things to do here would be Union Station/Science City. The good thing about this is that they have changing exhibits, so you may see something when you go back that you didn't see before.

How about the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art? It may be a little heavy for kids, but the grounds are fun to visit--the large shuttlecock sculptures are great!

As far as something unusual...I know there is a Harley Davidson factory here that will give tours. Kids love to see how things are made!

You could take them to an authentic KC Barbecue place like Gates or Arthur Bryant's. They might get a kick out of the "rude" service.

That's all I can think of for now...let us know what you HAVE done and that will help!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:26 PM

We go to K.C. fairly often too, and I don't think it has the greatest options for kids as cities go. You've probably done the usual, such as the zoo and Worlds/Oceans of Fun and Royals games.

How about finding one of those places with go-karts, mini-golf, batting cages, etc.?

Also, on the Kansas side, check out Great Wolf Lodge, a new hotel with indoor waterpark. I've heard good things about it, although I haven't been there. It looks like tons of fun for kids, although a bit expensive maybe.

I agree that the art museum is a good choice.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Slw

I live in St. Joe and there really isn't enough to do to warrant the trip here. There is the Pony Express museum, a doll museum and the exhibit of old methods of treating the mentally ill. In KC there is often a good children's theatre offering, Powell Gardens - they have a nice butterfly conservatory. My granddaughter enjoys ice skating (she lives in area where there is none). An ordinary thing my grandchildren enjoy are the kids workshops at Home Depot & Lowes.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Have you heard of Geocaching? Here is a short description from the website:

Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

All you need a hand held GPS receiver that you can get for about $150. This is a great family activity that we all enjoy (we have a 14 year old son and 11 year old daughter). We have been places we never would have gone if not for geocaching.

Check it out at www.geocaching.com
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:01 AM

In addition to things mentioned. H

A carriage ride on the Country Club Plaza.
The Toy and Minature museum
Bicycling or hiking on the KATY trail (about 90 mintues away)
The Jazz Museum and Negro Leagues Baseball museum at 18th & Vine
The Hallmark Visitors Center is very good and there is Kaleidoscope for kids next door
While you are at Crown Center, try The Coterie Theatre (children's and family shows)
Worlds of Fun & Oceans of Fun theme parks
Come September - there is a major Rennisance Festival
KC Royals Baseball
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:14 PM

Try going to Lawrence for a day. Basketball games are a BLAST for all ages, football games are fun too (you can go up, tailgate, and watch the game on the hill for free). It's about 45 minutes away and the campus is beautiful. Right on campus is a small Natural History museum with another museum accross the street that has traveling exhibits. Be sure to eat at "The Wheel"--the epitome of a college bar and grill, if you go anytime around game-time it'll be packed, but fun and wholesome enough for the kids.