Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic Coast Trip: We leave in one month!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mom and I travel together every other year, so two years in planning, we leave one month from today for Asheville NC and then up the Atlantic Coast to the Jersey shore. Will go to the OBX and the most ocean side points we can find. After Asheville we are winging it.
SO....Need a good crab cake restaurant, nice beach to walk on, and good place to view a sunrise. Any suggestions welcome. Thanx.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:03 PM

When you get up into MD, might want to stop at Chincoteague. As you come off the bridge into town, to the right, across the road, is Bill's Restaurant. Great crabcakes! And the beach at Chincoteague is fine, wide and with very few people this time of year.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Actually Chincoteague is in Virginia -- it's on what is called the DelMarVa Peninsula (because it comprises parts of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia) And I agree that Bill's is a good spot in Chincoteague (we always have breakfasts there). For dinner, our current favorite is AJ's which is on the Beach Road headed to the beach on Assateague. Really lovely menu and they make some great dishes veal, crab, flounder, ohhhhhh I think it's time to head back. Chincoteague is only about an hour past Ocean City Maryland (which has horrible restaurants and way too much honky tonk for my taste.).
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 08:02 AM

As I remember you posted question about lighthouses..I am visiting "eastern shore" of MD mid Oct. and plan to stay in St. Michaels. Main reason is to visit maritime museum. It has a "screw-pile" lighthouse on the premises. Apparently moved there to preserve the structure.
Not far from there is Tilghman Island
which has lighthouse off shore and the town is supposed to be very picturesque.(has drawbridge to get into town!!)
Note: all this 2ndhand info as I have not actually been to these places.
I found most of info on these town's web site via "Google" AND from Fodor posters.
I am curious --did you decide to "brave it" and cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge???
Enjoy your Mom's company--
Retire Caiifornia RN
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

California RN, yes ma'am I had a brochure of the Chesapeake Bridge sent to myself and Mom, she lives 350 miles from me. We talked over the phone, she doesn't do computers, but I have a great LD plan. We added a day so we could leisurely cross the bridge, making a day of it. Since someone mentioned there was a restaurant along the bridge that will definitely happen too. Since it was a day added we will cross from top to bottom, on the way home so we will have all the time we need, and be able to plan around the weather sshould it not cooperate. The other day the Weather Channel was suggesting not to cross the bridge as winds were gusting to 40 mph. Praying for a clear gorgeous fall day, everyday of the trip, to much to ask for 16 straight days right? Thanks for asking. Will definitely post a trip report. How's your Mother, by the way?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Your plans sound great!!!
Unfortunately my Mom died a year ago. However, the last few years of her life we "burned up" the road so I have some great memories.
Just enjoy the trip to the fullest...
California RN
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM
LN

Hey Arkansas:

Are you taking the bridge tunnel from Norfolk up Rt 13 through Maryland that you talked about earlier? Or are you taking the Ches Bay Bridge from Annapolis to Kent Island and eastern shore?

If you're heading up Rt 13 from Norfolk there's a great fried chicken place in a little town near Wachepreague - we always stop and get some if we're over that way.

Also if you're planning on heading up the coast you might consider taking the ferry from Lewes, delaware over to Cape May, NJ - it's a really nice ferry trip and saves a lot of time on the shore. Then Cape May is a truly beautiful old Victorian seaside town.

As far as crab cakes go, let us (hubby & me) know your direction and we'll try to find you some good crab cakes.

Are you going to try some hard shell crabs too?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM

I also highly recommend Chincoteague. My family and I have vacationed there at least 4 or 5 times. My daughters are now 22 and 20 and they still love it. We have always stayed at the Waterside Motor Inn (after you cross the bridge, take a right, travel for a mile or so and the Inn is on your right). It is located on Chincoteague Channel, with a dock, and outdoor heated pool. We have eaten at Bill's, AJ's (I think the full name is AJ's on the Creek)right next to the causeway going over to Assateague. Assateague is a National Seashore so the beach is beautiful and unspoiled. We have always seen the ponies, too! There are flat hiking and biking trails.
We have also eaten at the Chincoteague Inn, not too far from the Waterside Motor Inn. There is a great ice cream place on the road that leads to Assateague (can't remember the name of it). Fabulous sundaes! We have also driven across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel many times, and loved it every time. The restaurant there is called the Seagull Pier and Gift Shop. Also has a long fishing dock. I hope you decide to stop at Chincoteague! We love it!
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

LN Ferry from Lewes is on agenda, however trip may not happen, hit something in the road coming home in a rainstorm and didn't know oil pan was broken until lights all came on at once and car chugged to a stop, thank God for cell phones. Now new car or new engine? California RN, sorry about your Mom, we discussed Mom's on this forum before Mom and I traveled last (2001) and you mentioned she was ill. I really needed this vacation, been pulling 60 hour weeks.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:33 PM

ARKANSASNURSE, I don't know if this would particularly interest you, but I spent today in downtown Asheville more or less just wandering around. While walking up Haywood Street I happened to notice a banner hung in the window of John Henry's, a restaurant that features Charleston-style Low Country cuisine. According to the banner, John Henry's has the best crabcakes in Asheville, as determined by a readers poll in the Asheville Citizen-Times.

Seeing as you're on the hunt for good crabcakes while on vacation, I thought you might be interested. John Henry's is on Haywood Street next door to the Malaprop's Bookstore. The restaurant is closed Mondays.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:10 AM
LN

Hi again Arkansas

Hope everything is resolved by now and that you're NOT heading to Maryland at this moment. We're in the process of getting ready for this impending hurricane - I know - I know - it's early yet but when you have a boat on the Chesapeake - you have to get ready early cause there's nothing at the last minute.

Hope your trip goes well and that you get to see all and get a really get relaxing visit