Michigan Summer Vaca w/ kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning next summers vacation...Looking for Traverse City area...Any suggestions to find great cabin rental on/ near beach. Things to do and see?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM

I would try vrbo.com for rentals. Last time I checked, there were quite a few.

Also, check out http://www.visittraversecity.com/ for information on the area. And if you do a search here on Fodor's, you'll find lots of good info too.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM

Hey, take a peek at the Torch Lake area. Voted the 3rd most beautiful lake in the world by national geo.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 07:19 PM

Mawmaw, that is actually an 'urban legend' about National Geo and Torch Lake, although it is certainly a nice lake.

I work in local tourism in TC and all I can say is book early! Especially if you are coming in July or August. The CVB doesn't work with much at all in the way of cabins or cottages although they do deal with a few. How many people in your party? Do you have young kids? When are you thinking about coming? I assume you will be here for a week if you are looking for a cabin or cottage. If not, you might have to think about a condo or suite instead. Call the CVB 1-800-872-8377 for some ideas as well as an area guide and really good map of the area.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 03:15 AM

Our family enjoyed the Homestead in Glen Arbor.

We also found a "resort" east of Torch Lake. I can't recall the name of it right now but we did stop and take a tour and recvd pricing for a future vacation.
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM

One thing to decide is whether you want a a more laid back place or you fine with the more corporate style resort. There are many really wonderfull family resort places along Northern Michigan, some offer meal plans some have their own kitchenettes where you do your own cooking.Their are also many VRBO places but the best ones book up far ahead. Then there are the more corporate resorts. You'd be staying in more of a condo type room and most have a restaurant( which never seems to be special).
Traverse City Beach Hotels are all line up along the base of Traverse Bay and back up to the beach but front a busy 4 lane road, lined with putt putt golf and fast food restaurants. decide what you want and look accordingly.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM

I agree with the post that recommended the Homestead in Glen Arbor. A great place and so much to do. It is one of the only accommodations right on Lake Michigan. Some of the reasons we love the Homestead - a pool overlooking Lake Michigan, resturants, a kids club, tennis, close to the charming town of Glen Arbor & Glen Lake, climb the Sleeping Bear Dunes & explore the park, canoe the crystal river, 1/2 hour drive to Traverse City. We go up for the 4th of July and there are always fireworks on the beach (not offical) in the late night sky (it doesn't get dark until around 10:30 at that time of year). My kids have been going since they were toddlers and we consider it our yearly tradition. Traverse City is nice if you want more of a "city" feel to your trip.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Sleeping Bear Dunes is a short drive to the west of TC.

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/

If you feel adventurous a drive across the big bridge to the north is always fun and you could visit Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.

http://www.nps.gov/piro/