Michigan Lakes recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 03:15 AM
linda

Someone told me to rent a cabin on a lake in
Michigan this summer, and I'm wondering where? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 07:11 AM
linda

Anyone? Thanks.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Jan

We used to rent a cabin on Devil's Lake years ago and it was quite nice. Another Lake is Houghton Lake.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:46 AM
csn

You need to get a little more specific - Michigan has quite a few lakes, including, of course, two of the great lakes on either side of it. I live in Southwest Michigan (Irish Hills area) and there are over 10 lakes with rentals available just in this area alone. My favorite part of the state to stay is the western part on Lake Michigan - there are several b&b's to stay at all along the lake - if you are a tad more specific we can help you out a bit more........

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 05:19 PM
linda

Hi-
Unfortunately, I can't be specific, because I know nothing about Michigan!
I do love the outdoors and natural beauty. I love a quiet vacation.
We like the water. The kids love to swim. Boating would be nice. Pretty scenery. What part seems to be the prettiest? Clean water? Nice scenery? Anything close to Mackinac
Island, so we can take it in, too?
Thanks!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 08:26 AM
Jen

If you want to be close to Mackinaw I suggest the Petoskey/Harbor Springs area. No cabins per se but there are nice hotels and b&b's. The area is very scenic.

Here is a link to Michigan's Tourism Dept. Hope this helps.

www.michigan.org

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Keith

The closest small lake to Mackinac with rental cabins is Paradise Lake (Carp Lake) about 6 miles south of Mackinaw City on US 31.

There are also several places with rental cabins along the shore of the Straits of Mackinac along US 23 between Mackinaw City and Cheboygan.

There are so many possibilities beyound that, it is hard to know where to start.

Keith

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:58 AM
linda

Thanks for the info! I guess I shouldn't focus on Mackinac Island, but mostly on the best lake areas to swim & boat, and neat little towns? I guess pretty scenery is the most important thing. Thanks.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Ginny

Some of my favorite towns in MI include: Petoskey/Harbor Springs, Saugatuck and Ludington. I am addicted to a show on PBS called "Great Lakes Port of Calls." It starts airing again in Feb. The show airs a different great lakes port each week. Click on ports and you will find tons of info. The website is:
http://www.greatlakesportsocall.com/index.html

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 05:20 PM
linda

THANKS!!!
Linda

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
judith

favorite big lakes: walloon, near petoskey, summer home to the hemingways; torch lake north of traverse city; interlaken south of t.c. with famous music camp and concerts; glen lake west of t.c. all have rentals, look at the michigan web site. also many nice small lakes in those areas. the good rentals are gone by summer.