Michigan for a long weekend???

Old Apr 4th, 1999, 11:19 PM
John

Michigan for a long weekend???

I have never been to Detroit or anywhere in Michigan for that matter. I enjoyed reading the post about Mackinac Island very much and would like to plan a trip. There are great fares right now from Atlanta to Detroit of $138 RT.
1. What would you suggest in Detroit?
2. How far is it to drive to Northern Michigan where would you go?
3. when is the best time to go?
4. Would you go into Canada?
It may take a couple of trips but as long as Delta,Airtran and Northwest keep slugging it out I can make the trip.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 03:18 AM
cedar

I don't know about Detroit....it is so large and sprawling...ofcourse, there is always Greenfield Village. Depends on your interests.

Mackinac Island is a good5 hours north of Detroit. Summers are crowded. I would say June would be less crowded. They have a lilac festival around the middle of June.

There is a lot to see "up north". The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park is beautiful and just exploring the Great Lakes area is an adventure.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 07:53 AM
Michelle

John,
I'm so glad you want to come to Michigan! It's a wonderful state. Check into flying into Lansing (the capital). I'm flying out to New Orleans this month (and live in Lansing) and found out that it was actually cheaper to fly out here instead of Detroit. As far as your trip, I'm not a great fan of Detroit but that's just my personal opinion. It is a huge city with lots to do (like Atlanta). Mackinac Island is a lot of fun-you can rent a bike or a horse to ride around the island or take your own bike over. If you actually want to be able to enjoy swimming in the Big Lakes (Huron or Michigan), I'd come sometime in August. The water is warmer then (note I didn't say "warm", just "warmer"! :^) Hope you come! I wish everyone could discover how much fun MI is!! Feel free to e-mail me if you want!

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 11:42 AM
Diane

Look into visiting Saugatuck -- it is a very neat little town with a terrific beach, lots of sand dunes, a cool harbor, and a great place for a long weekend.

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 04:28 PM
Leslie

I would suggest visiting Petosky/Charlevoix/Harbor Springs area. Its easy to get to Mackinaw Island from there too. The towns are quaint with nice shopping and great waterfront views. Lots of B&B's and small hotels. Great dining too. Have
fun!

Old Apr 7th, 1999, 07:45 PM
John

Thanks for the information. I am excited about the possibility of going to northern Michigan. I am investigating how I can fly from Atlanta to Traverse City or other than Detroit from Atlanta without a 3 connections and somewhat inexpensive.
Thanks again
John

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 02:22 PM
Isabel

Hi John! I am Spanish and I have visited detroit several times on business. As a foreigner, I would say that there is nothing special to see in Detroit downtown, maybe only Greektown (the waterfall inside the restaurant Fishbones is worth seeing). I like the suburbs very much. There is an area, I think it is called Gross Point, where you can see lots of incredibly nice mansions, I guess all people who live there must be billionaires. The Ford museum in Dearborn is also worth seeing. If you have not decided on transportation from the airport to downtown yet, I usually hire the services of a company called NET. They are very kind and I'm sure they will give you many recommendations about what to do in Detroit, same as they did with me. They will charge you as much as a normal cab but instead they will take you in a clean, comfortable Lincoln town car. Their phone number is 248 356 8900. Have fun in Detroit! By the way, I forgot, I do not think it is so scary as some people say.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 02:23 PM
Isabel

Hi John! I am Spanish and I have visited detroit several times on business. As a foreigner, I would say that there is nothing special to see in Detroit downtown, maybe only Greektown (the waterfall inside the restaurant Fishbones is worth seeing). I like the suburbs very much. There is an area, I think it is called Gross Point, where you can see lots of incredibly nice mansions, I guess all people who live there must be billionaires. The Ford museum in Dearborn is also worth seeing. If you have not decided on transportation from the airport to downtown yet, I usually hire the services of a company called NET. They are very kind and I'm sure they will give you many recommendations about what to do in Detroit, same as they did with me. They will charge you as much as a normal cab but instead they will take you in a clean, comfortable Lincoln town car. Their phone number is 248 356 8900. Have fun in Detroit! By the way, I forgot, I do not think it is so scary as some people say.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 12:53 PM
Melanie

My husband flies non-stop on Northwest Airlines Atlanta to Traverse City. Last summer $138.00 RT. They have the only "big jets" that fly into that city. We love the end of July in mackinac, when the Port Huron to Mackinac Yacht race is ending. Very fun!