Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving time and distance from Jackson Hole to Cody

Notices

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 02:43 PM
Adam

My family is planning to go on a trip to Wyoming this summer. We are staying in Driggs,Idaho (about 35 miles west of Jackson Hole). I want to take a day trip to Cody, but my Mom said it was too far for a day trip. Can anyone tell me just how far it is and how long it takes to get there from Jackson Hole. Mom said that she had heard anywhere from 3 1/2 hours to 7 hours.

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Dave

Mom is right. It's a LOOONG day trip. We lived in Cody and did the trip to Jackson several times. I couldn't do it through the park in much less than 4 hours, so figure 7-8 hours driving time alone !!!! Plus, now there is construction between Fishing Bridge and Sylvan pass (and also out of the park toward Cody !!!) Go to Cody, but spend a night or 2 !!!!

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 04:46 PM
Bob Brown

According to the Rand McNally Atlas, it is 178 miles from Cody to Jackson, but the route, as the above poster says, goes right through Yellowstone.
Even if traffic is flowing freely the whole way, I can't see you averaging much over 45 mph. Besides, why fly through Yellowstone?? If you are coming from Driggs, you must negotiate the Teton Pass, which is not exactly a 70 mph road.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 09:44 AM
Howard

May I recommend the website www.freetrip.com. You can find out driving times and distances between any two points.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 06:35 PM
dave

Freetrip.com has the following:

ORIGINATION: Jackson, WY
DESTINATION: Cody, WY
THIS ROUTE DISTANCE: 179 mi. THIS ROUTE DRIVING TIME: 3:16

Thats garbage. There's no way to average 55 on that route in the summer. I'd still plan on AT LEAST 4 hours each way, and thats with no animal traffic jams or construction delays. I say make the trip, but take your time and do at least one overnite !! Good luck....