Reload this Page >

MICHIGAN BEST PLACE TO VISIT

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:53 AM
susan

Any recommendations for a vacation in the first week of July in Michigan? Somewhere on the water? My husband and myself only...no kids yet!

Thanks

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Kelly

Try the Traverse City/Petoskey area. Right on Lake Michigan, cool little towns with art galleries, shops, restaurants & pubs. I was there a few years ago and stayed at the Bar Harbour, which is a fabulous New England style resort right on the lake.
There is a yatch club down the road and you can view the beautiful mansions (Madonna and Oprah, among others are the owners). The hotel is expensive, but the service is great!

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:08 AM
xxx

I'll second the vote for the Traverse Bay area. Don't miss the sleeping bear dunes national park. Drive up to Leland, Northport and Omena for some quaint small towns. Take a boat ride and watch the sunset on Lake Michigan.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:41 AM
sjsj

I don't know where you are coming from, but if you are driving up (going North)on the Lake Michigan side, be sure to stop in Saugatuck and Holland. I live in Holland and both have very nice little downtowns to shop and enjoy.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:43 AM
sjsj

I also forgot, I agree with the Traverse City area, it is quite busy though. If you feel like a side trip while up there, check out Charlevoux and Petosky.

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:53 AM
DB

Susan,

The first week of July in Michigan will be busy busy for the popular tourist areas especially if you find yourself on I-75.

Where you travel in Michigan will depend on where you are coming from and how much time you have.

Traverse City, Suttons Bay, Grand Traverse Bay and Petoskey are all beautiful if you have time to drive, so is the upper U.P.

Houghton Lake and Cadillac are popular vacations spots too.

If you would like to experience beautiful Lake Michigan - Grand Haven, Holland, Pentwater, Ludington, and Manistee are all great cities. You can take a ride on the dunes at Silver Lake too, which is only a 1/4 mile from Lake Michigan.

If you are flying into DTW and want to stay locally - visit the quaint town of Northville or Plymouth or the college town of Ann Arbor - Go Blue!

Michigan is really a beautiful state and I would personally recommend visiting at least one of the great lakes.

Have fun!

DB

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Sarah

I live in Michigan. I would HIGHLY reccomend Traverse City or Petoskey, MI. I also work for the City of Petoskey. Petoskey has a great fire works display right on Little Traverse Bay off Lake Michigan. At that time you watch both the Petoskey fireworks and Harbor Springs fireworks at the same time. THere are lots of events planned for that weekend as well. IF you would like more information on the area email me back.

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Sarah

Oh I forgot! Charlevoix is also very nice. Both Petoskey and Charlevoix are just north of Traverse City. However, there are not quite as busy as TC will be at that time. Or even visit Cheboygan it is right on the shore of Lake Huron. Or if you want to go far far north, Sault Ste. Marie is nice as well right off of Lake Superior. It is bordered by Sault Ste. Marie, ON.

Old May 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM
x

Second Sagatuck and Petoskey area.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Gail

2nd Ann Arbor. GO BLUE!!

Actually Leland was my 1st choice on the west coast but Ann Arbor would be my 1st choice on the east/south side.

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
Lucky

The beauty of the landscape in the northwestern area of lower Michigan- Petoskey, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Cross Village can't be rivaled by ANYWHERE in the southern areas of Michigan. The Tecumseh, Concord area is a beautiful area (yes, in the south) but, there is no lake... throwing the vote back up north.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:41 PM
judith

lucky, i can't believe i saw concord mentioned on this forum. since i grew up in concord (population 600) i am trying to think of something there and in tecumseh that would draw tourists. i guess i missed something.

although concord has swain's lake.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 03:12 PM
suzanne

I spent a totally serene week with a few friends in a cabin in the Cross Village area. The wilderness, water, and remoteness were wonderful! Cross Village is 1/2 hour or so from Petoskey and maybe a little further(?) from Traverse City. It felt like the middle of nowhere for this city girl...I loved it...