Miami vs. Las Vegas

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Eriel

Miami vs. Las Vegas

Hello,

I'm planning a surprise getaway for my fiance. We're in our mid 20's (23 and 25)and I had scheduled a vacation for July 25th. However, I have hard time deciding between Miami, South Beach or Las Vegas.

We're both very active people and don't want to spend entire vacation just laying on the beach. We love siteseeing and almost all sports. Any suggestion would be really great.

Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Lenore

I've been to Vegas many times and love it, but it's a totally different type of vacation than Miami. I live in South Florida but almost never go to South Beach because it's too "clubby" for me. Both places will be extremely hot in July (Vegas 105-115, Miami 90-95 but with high humidity). Also, don't forget that summer is our rainy, hurricane season. It may be nice and sunny one minute, then cloud up and be pouring the next! Miami has a lively bar scene and some good restaurants. You can enjoy almost any water sport here. Vegas, of course, has gambling and shows and that town NEVER sleeps. You don't need a car in Vegas, but you will probably want one in Miami.

Daytrips from Vegas include Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire State Park, (both good for hiking, but not in 110 degree weather!) Lake Mead, Hoover Dam and/or helicopter ride to the Grand Canyon. From Miami, you could go to the Keys, the Everglades, tour Viscaya, take a gambling cruise for the day etc. Good luck and have fun!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Mike

Without having more information about you, this is a difficult question to answer. But, based upon my experiences, if you're super hip, physically fit and/or love to dance, you'd probably prefer South Beach. If you're into gambling, hedonism and/or all hours insanity, you'd probably rather go to Vegas. If none of the above apply to you, it really doesn't matter. You'll have a great time at either destination.

Personally, I prefer Vegas, in part, because of the hedonism and, in part, because of its proximity to great hiking in the nearby Mojave desert and Red Rocks Canyon.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Eriel

Thanks for all the responses. I think Miami is going to be the destination. We don't like to gamble and love to be outside more than inside, so it feels like better choice.

Any suggestions on hotels in Miami? Preferably not directly in South Beach?

Thanks.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Theresa

I just came back two weeks ago and I used to live at South Beach. For this trip, since it was a week long, we stayed at the Mercury Hotel. It's a Kerry boutique hotel. It was a two room suite and our room also had a small kitchen and dining area open to the living space. July is low season and you should be able to get great rates. Try www.southbeach.com

Do be careful in booking rooms - some of these places are dumpy on the inside. The Richmond Hotel is a good option to be on the beach but away from the noise of Ocean Drive. The Sagamore is also a great option. The new Palm Hotel is very nice and at the end of Ocean Drive. Let me know before you go, I'll give you some good "locals" restaurant ideas.

Theresa

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Eriel

Thank you!!

Also, after doing some research on that website that you, Theresa, had recommended, I fould these following hotels that are best priced for us. Any suggestions/reviews?

Radisson Deauville Resort
Dezerland
Casablanca
Ramada Miami Beach

Thank you!!