miami or vegas??

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miami or vegas??

Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I have a credit with expedia to use up by end of May and we must travel with Us Airways ( so we were told). We'd like to do a 4 day trip (hopefully a package deal) to either Vegas or miami, south beach for April or May. It must be purchased through Expedia. My boyfriend has been to vegas before but i was hoping we could go somewhere neither have us have been but i'm still open to suggestions. My questions are:
1) Is weather in miami good in april or better in may? is the water warm?
2) We'd like to have nice evening meals without spending alot. Will this be hard in Miami? Pice range for dinner meals 15-30 US each? from the research i have done on this site it seems it may be very expensive in south beach. is it easier in Vegas to find such places?
3) we are in our late twenties and would like to know what else there is to do beside clubbing in the evening in miami?? know of any live latin bands we could go to? anything else?
4) has anyone been to the Radison Deauville? good Location? any feedback is great. I understand its in north beach??Expedia has good package deals with this hotel.
looking forward to hearing from anybody....
Renata
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:16 AM
GoTravel

Wow! Talk about night and day.

Where are you coming from? If it is the east coast, I wouldn't want to make that long plane ride to Vegas for 3 nights (I'm assuming since you said four days). If you are on the West coast, I would not want to make that long ride to Miami for three nights.

What do you want to do? Gamble in the desert or vacation on a South Florida beach?

Weather will be good in both places and warm ocean temps are relative to what you are used to. Miami ocean temps should be upper 70s in April and around 80 in May.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:33 AM

GoTravel is right-- you couldn't have picked two more contrasting destinations in the US. I'd enjoy either place, so it does come down to the choice between (1) beach relaxatino (South Beach) or (2) desert sun, fun, shows and gambling (Vegas). You ask a lot of questions, so let's go down in order:

1. Weather in Miami in April and May should be just fine. It won't be as oppressively muggy as in later in the summer. Las Vegas, in all probability, will be sunny, dry and very hot. One trip I made there in late March, they already were going through daytime highs in the upper 90s. If you have never been to the desert (make no mistake, it IS desert), be prepared for over-100 degree days.

2. You can find reasonably-priced good meals in South Beach, if you're willing to stray from the big names and chi-chi hotels. Some no-atmosphere places are some of your best eating choices (La Sandwichérie is on an alley, behind a gas station, but has the best sandwiches in the District; Puerto Sagua is a diner serving awesome home-style Cuban food). Sit-down places like News Café, Café Cardozo and Front Porch Café will fill you up for not much green. Do plan to have one "splurge" dinner, however.

Vegas has pricey, it has cheap, it goes all over the map. There are good middle-of-the-road places, including some regional chains like P.F. Chang and Chin-Chin (both quite good). If you're concerned, a good website to investigate is cheapovegas.com.

3. Miami Beach has stuff going on besides clubbing-- cultural events, concerts, and yes, Latin dancing. However, the club scene IS a lot of fun; you should plan on checking out a couple of the nicer clubs.

4. The Radisson Deauville is an OK place (nothing spectacular, but quite nice), but it's out of South Beach. I'd go ahead and book a place in South Beach and not spend all my time schlepping in cabs or a rental car (and trying to find parking). What Vegas properties are you looking at?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:35 AM

I invented a new word!! "Relaxatino" is how those hip young kids are saying "relaxation" nowadays....

What, you don't believe me?!

Stop laughing, GoTravel!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:39 AM
GoTravel

How'd you know I was laughing? I just thought it was Italian for relax...

You can find better resorts than the Radisson and ones closer to South Beach.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone1 I know the two places are very different..we are interested in just exploring both options- you should have seen the list before!! As a canadian I think by the time april comes aroud i would LOVE the beach. Money is a factor for us and we are hoping to find a good package deal (hotel and flight for under CAD 1000 each)...so I will just keep searching. I've noted some of the recommended hotels within my price range and will look further: Lowes, cardoza, essex house, fountainbleu...
thank you!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Well, of those other properties:

The Fountainbleu is outside of South Beach. Fifties-style resort, nice pool area, not much fun around it.

The Loews is a Big City Hotel plopped on Collins in South Beach. The main tower is a mid-90s construction (built where an architectural treasure, the New Yorker, used to stand), large and impressive. It gets a steady business-travel crowd, and it's quite nice, with all the Big City Hotel amenities. It doesn't feel that "South Beach"-y to me, however. It has an annex, the St. Moritz, that does date from the Deco era, and is much more charming (but the rooms are smaller and more Spartan).

The Essex House is quite nice, but not beachfront. It's an old Deco property, but well-maintained and comfy.

The Cardozo is my personal favorite in South Beach. It's oceanfront (across the street from the beach), small, stylish, with a sexy vibe. If you can get the Honeymoon Suite, it's a stunner. The regular guest rooms are comfortable and cozy. Hardwood floors make them a bit noisy. The bathrooms are very small in the regular rooms, no question about that. Note also that the lighting is dim-- they want you to relax completely, I think.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:22 AM
GoTravel

If you wait until the begining of May, you will find much better deals for Miami. April is a huge travel time in the US. The weeks directly before and after Easter are big with families and the rest of the month is big for conferences.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:36 AM

My husband would jump at any chance to go to Vegas...always his first pick...not me...i'm always for florida or somewhere where there is a beach or the sun..or my son.