Miami/ South Beach/hip hop weeekend May 25th

Apr 1st, 2006, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Miami/ South Beach/hip hop weeekend May 25th

We were planning a anniversary week in Miami, but I just heard there is Hip Hop convention that weekend. We are not Hip Hop fans and I was wondering if anyone has expierence Miami during that weekend.

Thanks
Apr 1st, 2006, 08:19 AM
Neopolitan

UH-OH, be ready to be accused of being racist. Someone asked a similar innocent question about Gay Days at Disney and was attacked for being a homophobe!!

Apr 1st, 2006, 09:50 AM

Here I go sticking my neck out; hopefully, no one will accuse me of racism (FYI - I'm a white lady with a black husband). Lets just say, we wouldn't venture into Miami during the Hip Hop Convention. It's unbelieveably insane (i.e. crowded, noisy) and if you're not into that culture, I don't think it would be enjoyable for you on that special occasion. In the alternative, why don't you come to our town, Fort Lauderdale?? IMHO just as cool, beautiful, and much less hectic.
Apr 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, no racism intended. We have no bjections to Hip Hop, or Country Western, we all have our own taste in music. We are looking for a second area to stay as well, as we had Key Largo booked. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale and are looking for a great hotel/resort, to relax.
The SOBE stay was to go to see the city, night life and all, but did not know how crowded it would get.

Any suggestions?

L
Apr 2nd, 2006, 08:05 AM

If want to stay in the city of Fort Lauderdale, I would recommend staying at the historice Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd.(our most beautiful street)www.riversidehotel.com as it's a nice change from the beach area, and fun to walk to shops, King Tut exhibit at the art museum and good restaurants. If you're looking for a resort on the beach, I love the Pelican Beach Resort www.pelicanbeach.com. What's especially nice about this place is that it is situated right on the ocean and you can wake up to an amazing view of the beautiful beach. Many of the hotels here are located across the street from the beach and you must walk across A1A to get there. It has always been the place that my friends and family stay when they come to Fort Lauderdale.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. The Pelican looks great and great prices as well. Is it within walking distance of the shopping, restaurants and we would like to take a water taxi around.

Thanks
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:08 PM

I live in the Fort Lauderdale area. The Hip Hop Weekend has calmed down quite a bit from years ago--there were no major incidents last year and a heavy police presence. I am white and went there last year with white friends and nobody hassled us. However, the traffic is abominable. It took us almost one hour to cross the causeway into Miami Beach/South Beach (it's seven miles) because of all the visiting cars. The streets of South Beach were jammed as well. The fact that most people didn't know where they were going and were confused by ongoing construction and erratic signs didn't help. I'd suggest Fort Lauderale--it's only a half hour farther than Miami is.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM
GoTravel

I have been to South Beach by accident for the Hip Hop/Urban Beach Week and would never go again.

It is all college aged kids wanting to hookup, get drunk, party, and listen to music.

This doesn't have squat to do with color and EVERYTHING to do with age.

Nor would I think about going to Cancun or South Padre Island during spring break.

For more information go to www.BlackBeachWeek.com

Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks budget4me, we are in our 30's want to see the SOBE scene, visit a couple of clubs and restaurants on Friday and Saturday night, we are used to crowded, but do not want to hear just hip hop all night. I do not know if the clubs change their format because of the convention. So strolling around during the day will probably be extra crowded? We also want to hang by the beach and pool a couple of days, so we were thinking, Sunday and Monday would be better for that. Still debating will we see enough of SOBE on Friday and Saturday, and head out to Ft. Lauderdale or stay in SOBE. Your thoughts?

Thanks
Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
GoTravel

Yes, strolling around by day will be very crowded and the clubs will be packed at night.

It is 350,000 people in South Beach which is a relatively compact area. I highly suggest you click on the link I added for accurate information.

Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks goTravel, so I am safe to assume the hotels down in SOBE going to be crazy as well? We really wanted to experience a regular SOBE scene, maybe next time. We are flying into Ft.Lauderdale and would like a resort/hotel with a huge pool and on the beach. I think we have Ft. Lauderdale covered, how about just north or in between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale?

Thanks everyone
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:34 AM
GoTravel

Yes, the whole area is crazy and all the hotels are packed. It isn't limited to certain areas.

I'd save South Beach for another weekend unless you want to party will college age kids.

The Westin Diplomat on Hollywood Beach is between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is a gorgeous hotel with the coolest pool I've ever seen. I'd check it out.

Apr 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

We would love to be able to reschedule, but all the plans have been made. I am really dissapointed as I wanted to expierence the real SOBE without all the distractions.
I will look into the Westin.

You have been a great help.

Apr 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I would echo GoTravel's recommendation of the Hollywood area and the Westin Diplomat.

One thing about SoBe though: There is rarely a "regular" time to go there. One weekend is Art Deco Weekend, another is Hip Hop Weekend, another is the Auto Show Weekend, another is Winter Music Conference, etc., etc. Part of its charm seems to be its hecticness, so keep in mind that there may be another "event" on another weekend that you select.
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We just booked at Trump Sonesta in Sunny Isle. Has anyone stayed there before, it looks great. Any suggestion for that area. I know it all is still within a short drive.

Thanks
May 14th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Hi NorCals, Thanks for the heads up about the convention! We will be in South FL the week of the 21st. In planning an itinerary, we were thinking of checking out Miami at the end of that week. Now I'm going to re-think this, and maybe visit Miami and SoBe earlier in the week. I just don't want to get caught up in the crowds, traffic, etc. Does anyone know how far north the crowds go? budget4me, do you get any of it in the lauderdale area?

We're in our early 30s and are more jazz fans... If it were the jazz festival, we'd definitely be in there with the crowds!

PS: I'm from NorCal too!
May 14th, 2006, 08:09 PM

Does everything settle back to normal by Monday. I was thinking of staying in South Beach Monday night and hanging there for the day on monday and tuesday?
May 16th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

A Jazz festival would be great!! We have decided to stay at the Trump Sonesta in Sunny Isle and drive in a couple of nights. Do any of the clubs play anything but Hip Hop that weekend?
This is a good link to SOBE that I have been using with some usefull info..
http://www.southbeach-usa.com/hotels...ach-hotels.htm.
Hey jnettes13, what part of the Bay Area are you from? We are out in the EBay in Brentwood.
Yes, does evry thing settle down on Monday?
Jun 12th, 2006, 12:23 PM

Sorry I didn't get to this in time, but Monday is a part of the weekend--it's Memorial Day so everyone is off, so things are still hectic Monday and Monday night. On Tuesday things are back to normal. For the most part Ft. Lauderdale is unaffected by any of this, being 35 miles away from it.