Miami Lunch and Home Tour I'm on the Hot Seat Planning a Women's Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and four former college roomies (we are in our late 40's) are having our annual get together first weekend in March. We are staying in Pompano Beach, but, as we've done this for four consecutive years staying in this area of FL, we want to have lunch in MIA (nice view, great food) and maybe do a tour.

I read on other threads about Baleen on Key Biscayne and Smith and Wollensky. Are these the locations we want, do they offer lunch? Any other choices?

What is the best historic tour? Vizcaya Home or maybe Spanish Monastary Cloisters? Any others?

Any other input on must do's. We also enjoy shopping, galleries, etc.

I'm located s. of Sarasota and I've been given the assignment to pull the options together for the gang. Thanks in advance Fodorites.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:41 AM

I'm going to suggest you focus on South Beach. The Miami Design Preservation League (www.mdpl.org) has both self-guided audio and tour guide tours of the art deco buildings. I've done (and enjoyed) the guided tour. Smith and Wollenski is at the southern tip of South Beach and would be one lunch option. I'm sure the Fodor foodies will jump in with other South Beach dining choices!
Also- Baleen's isn't on Key Biscayne. It's on Grove Isle (between downtown and Coconut Grove).
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 11:25 AM

If you've not visited Vizcaya, it is really a fabulous place and you must go. If you have, then the Deco audio guides mentioned by Keysmom sound great, although I've never done that.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Keysmom and Tandoori.

It turns out that a few of the group have already done the South Beach thing, so I think we are looking at visiting the Vizcaya house. That being said, any ideas on how to build the day around that, i.e. a lunch spot and maybe some other activities, shopping, galleries, interesting areas nearby.

Thanks everyone.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
PVB

A suggestion for before or after touring Vizcaya would be to go through The Barnacle, which is nearby in the center of Coconut Grove. It was the home of pioneer Ralph Middleton Monroe and is a REAL old Florida house...rough and rustic, whereas Vizcaya is glamorous and European (it was built there, purchased by James Deering, taken apart piece by piece and reassembled in Miami). The two would make an interesting contrast.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:18 AM

Well, PVB's idea is great, and since the Barnacle is right in Coconut Grove- there is about 4-5 hours worth of strolling shopping right there! Baleen is right on the way between Viscaya and the Grove. To give you an idea of the distance involved, it would take only about 5 minutes to get from Viscaya to Baleen, and another 5 minutes to get from Baleen to Coconut Grove.
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Hi Jaye,
The Barnacle sounds like a go. 3 out of 4 of us "did" the Coconut Grove thing. They don't sell above a size 2 there anyway.
But I think there is a driving tour around coconut grove in one of my guides. Smith & Wollensky is a chain or franchise. Very good food in Las Vegas though.
Anyone know about this Lincoln Park shopping area?
Also still trying to get a recommendation on a great Art Museum. Preferrably not all contemporary art. We are willing to drive to Palm Beach if necessary for a good collection.
Just went to Tai Spicy in Ft. Lauderdale. That will be on our list of places to eat for dinner!
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM

A lovely shopping area near the grove is the new Village of Merrick Park. This mall is in Coral Gables (about 10 min from Vizcaya) and is anchored by Nordstroms and Nieman Marcus. Lots of very upscale shops (or museums, depending on your view of the prices).
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 05:41 AM

IMO the Norton museum in Palm Beach is a fantastic small gem.

http://www.norton.org/

There are also several old homes in Palm Beach that can be toured but none will compare to Vizcaya which is fantastic.

If you go to Palm Beach, my favorite place for lunch (good Italian & great people watching) is Renato's on Via Mizner (a courtyard off Worth Ave.) Taboo is more well known & right ON Worth Ave.

I warn you bring comfy shoes if you intend on seeing the gardens at Vizcaya. They're fabulous & BIG Do take the docent tour (every half hour or so) as the info imparted is interesting & fun.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:07 AM

At the risk of showing how cursory my knowledge of Miami is, I pose this question: What's that gorgeous old hotel in Miami (near the Venetian pool maybe?) with the huge swimming pool and the wonderful vast grounds around it? I sat on its lawn and watched fireworks one July 4th. That would be a great place for lunch for this group, no? Anybody know the name? They could also check out the Venetian pool which is so unusual -- to see not to swim, unless they'd like to, of course.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM
OliveOyl

Venetian pool is in Coral Gables, so are you referring to the Biltmore, also there? Vast grounds, old historic hotel.

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Hey Trisch and Others,
Wow, I haven't been to the board in a couple of days and here's all this great new food for thought.

I just read again about the Norton Museum and yes that is the one that I was hoping for for the group. Obviously, this would have to be on a different day than the Vizcaya/Barnacle/Baleen day, which was the orginal subject of the post.

I am the contemporary art fan, but Fodorites, the Norton museum should have something for all tastes, right?? Thanks in advance for the lunch recommendations should we make the trip to Norton.

Trish, your thoughts or any questions or follow-up on the shopping areas near Vizcaya/Barnacle/Baleen?

Thanks everyone, keep it coming.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Yes the Norton museum should have something for all tastes. Their permanent collection leans toward the more traditional but they usually have a special exhibit that's more contemporary.

As to shopping near Vizcaya, the new mall mentioned sounds good. Similar stores (Neiman's, Saks etc.) in Bal Harbour shops further north.
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Just looked at the Fodor's FL 2003 and they made a sort of derogatory remark about the guided tour at the Vizcaya home. They said it's too bad the tour didn't match up to the surroundings or something like that.

mclaurie, I'm glad you had a good experience with the tour. I'm assuming there is only one tour and not a separate one for the gardens?
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:46 PM

When I went last, the gardens was a self-guided tour. The tour of Vizcaya was sort of stodgy but this isn't Disney. Volunteer docents. It's no highlight but there's no other way to do it.

You might want to check into going to the Biltmore for lunch, unless you've already got something in mind. Or try chowhound.com for food recs in Miami.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:16 PM

I guess the quality of the tour depends upon the docent you get since they're volunteers. I got a great one & enjoyed her patter. The tour covers the main floor of the palazzo. She also tells you about the upstairs & then you proceed on your own up there & outside. If you find you're not enjoying the tour, just wander off on your own.

BTW, last time I went, I had a late lunch in Coconut Grove in the pedestrian mall area at a nice Italian place. We sat outside but it could have been anywhere-nothing special.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:48 PM
GoTravel

How about either lunch at The Bitlmore and then Vizcaya?

Day two the Jewish Museum, The Rascal House and then the Bal Harbour Shops?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Norton Museum way up in West Palm? Or did they open a branch in Miami?

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Yes GoTravel. Norton is in West Palm.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM
GoTravel

thanks mclaurie, I thought I was loosing it.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Go Travel,
Would The Biltmore for lunch plus The Barnacle and Vizcaya be far too much for one day??

The Rascal House?? I'm not familiar. Please tell us more.

By the way, we would be considering The Norton as another day and build the day around that museum visit.

Thanks in advance. Jaye