Miami Beach or Naples

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 12:50 PM
chris

Miami Beach or Naples

My wife and I live in the northeast and want to do a long weekend in Florida (June/July timeframe, maybe 4 nights).

I want to go to Miami Beach, she wants to go to Naples. We're both 34. I think of Naples as an old person's place. Don't get me wrong, I love golf, but I want sun and sizzle.

Which of the two do you prefer and why? Having been to neither, how can I convince her that Miami Beach is better? or is it?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:38 PM
abc

ttt

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Susan

Hey, Chris I hate to be the one to break it to ya, darlin' but 34 ain't all that young! So....don't be so hard on the 'old people' in Naples! You want golf, sun & 'sizzle' If you are going w/ your wife you will have sizzle wherever you go! Both Naples & Miami have sun & golf. Personally, I prefer Naples/Marco Island for my golf, sun & sizzle simply b/c I hate MIA whereas Ft.Myers airport is a lot easier to land, rent cars, return cars etc. (I am assuming you will be flying) That said, I prefer Ft. Lauderdale over both Miami & Naples! Small airport & lots of opportunity for sun, golf & sizzle! Let us know what you decide!

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:44 AM
Chris

Susan - OUCH!! OK, so maybe 34 isn't all that young, but Naples? Please. The only people I know who've been have been 50+. Actually, that's not true, a couple I'm friends with goes there. I just dont have much interest.

My wife and I will need a vacation. And I mean really need it. I want a bit of decadence, good people watching, fun beach scene. I have no illusions that I am a club goer or South Beach hipster, but I want a fun atmosphere (and I want to be able to enjoy South Beach at least once before I am waaayyy too old).

Any other takers?

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Linda

My parents lived in Marco and Ft.Myers, I've spent lots of time in both areas- as well as in Miami.I really don't like Miami, except for a few places on South Beach. Seems English is rarely spoken there!Not very safe at night.Frankly,I think the best area for you two to vacation is Tampa/St Pete. (It's a nice airport, too)There's great night life in Tampa (Ybor city, etc) great shopping in the area and lovely beaches.I like the beaches on the Gulf side much better. A trolley runs up the coast from Clearwater to St Pete, so for a few bucks you can go everywhere and see everything. Driving is easy there. We found so many things to do and good places to eat. Any of you Fodorites agree with me?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:45 PM
terrapin

ttt for Chris

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
OliveOyl

I'll agree with Susan's assessment on MIA!! Hands down, the worst airport--unattractive, customer UNfriendly--I've ever flown through.

Whereas I love Naples and it's far, far more beautiful than Miami Beach, I have to reluctantly agree, South Beach is more the younger scene, great people watching--but then I'm one of those waaaay over the hill 50+ people so... Thanks for the good laugh Chris. Must say though, many of the 60 somethings I met last week skiing in CO, could run circles around plenty of 30 somethings. It's all in how you maintain the vehicle!!

Clearwater/St. Pete does have a lot of what you are looking for--younger crowd, not as affluent as Naples but also not as with it as SoBeach. I hate Ybor, but then, remember my age group. LOL TIA has been voted one of the best airports in the country--physically attractive, easy to get around in and very accessible. Lastly, west coast beaches really do beat east coast for natural beauty--both sand and water quality, IMO.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:14 PM
charles

Naples is for old people. That entire stretch of florida is known as god's waiting room for a reason. Go to South Beach. From the way you talk, it will be a much better fit.

And no, Miami isn't particularly unsafe. No more so than any other US city to the average traveler.

That said, don't go anywhere in Florida in June/July. It is too hot to be endured.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:22 PM
John

i would recommend miami! there's more to do in and around that area, and im not sure what theyre talking a/b with the beaches, but the water on the southeast coast is much clearer than that of the west, the part a/b not many people speaking english is somewhat true, but that makes miami even more exotic and exciting for the both of you......go to miami!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:51 PM
noel

I've been in Florida all my life, and lived in all three of the places previously mentioned: Naples, Miami, and the Tampa Bay Area, I can comment on them with as much authority as anyone.

Naples is relaxing and upscale, with beautiful sand beaches and scenery. Beaches are more secluded, and spending the days lazily tanning and shell finding is appealing. However, I would agree that the population is a bit older and more sedate, and one would have difficulty in finding much nightlife to fill more than one night.

Tampa/St. Pete is also a beautiful area, but I don't think the beaches in general are on par with those in Naples or Miami. Aside from a couple of them in St. Pete, the water isn't as blue or as clear. The sand is pretty nice though.
The Bay Area is growing and there is plenty of things to do when not on the beach. St. Pete has some interesting musuems, Salvador Dali etc. Tampa has the Florida Aquarium, good shopping, and decent nightlife in YBor. But IMHO, it is like being in almost any mid level American city. Take away the bay and the beaches and you could be in Cleveland or Charlotte.

If you want sizzle then head south to Miami Beach. Aside from Hawaii, its the most exotic destination you can go to in the United States. Although you will hear a lot of Spanish, you'll hear Italian, French, German, and Portuguese as well as English. Don't go with our common American crab mentality because its truly an international city with "salsa".

Miami nightlife is legendary and world classed. There's a club for all tastes.
Try Nikki Beach Club, Level, Rain and Tantra. (I'm 34 too!) Ask around for what's happening on a particular night people will point you the way.

The city has an unbelievable outdoor cafe culture. Definitely plant yourself at a table on Lincoln Road and/or Ocean Drive... Have fun, watch the parade! You'll see some of the world's most gorgeous people, and some of the weirdest. Warning: you will be compelled to start a diet and hit the gym. Make sure to visit the Delano and have a martini in the afternoon. Have a margarita by the Raliegh pool.

The beaches are aqua blue beautiful... if less secluded. People watching is great. You might even get a glimpse of some topless women on the beaches between 2nd and 12th streets. For more private beaches go to Key Biscayne.

One thing about Miami is that it is very expensive...lodging, food, drinks, etc. Cover charges are comparable to New York. Before you know it you've spent a mint... but if you go down with an open attitude you'll have a great time doing it.

Fort Lauderdale is only 20 miles up the road but feels like another world. More American but also a lot of fun.

Love and career has moved me to Orlando. I miss South Florida, and I find time every couple of weeks to go down and play. I just came back from a winter music dance conference and the city was hopping! But this is March ... you said you were going in June or July. It will be HUMID HOT, it will rain like clockwork every afternoon, and the pace will be slower all over the state.

Hope I've been some help...Have a great time!

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:14 PM
LR

Apparently, non of the people telling you that Naples is an old people's place have not been there or at least not in the last 5 years! I just got back from there last night and I can tell you there is definitely nightlife and a young population. ( I am 30) There are tons of young families moving there ( it is the 2nd fastest growing city in America) so they are being catered to with all kinds of fun , new places. The 5th Ave. area (downtown Naples) has Tommy Bahamas bar, Yabbas rest. and bar, McCabe's Irich pub, there is also a wine bar and much more. This area is a lot of fun. Also, in the Registry hotel is Club Zanzabar which is a 3 floor dance club that is packed on the weekend. There are tons of new restaurants and great golf courses. As for Miami Beach, I personally think it's overrated, dangerous and dirty. The have dance clubs w/huge cover charges and techno music and the other bars/restaurants prefer to play salsa all day and night. I would listen to your wife on this one and you won't be dissapointed- Naples has great golf, restaurants, nightlife and most importantly it HAS NO disguting areas, vagrants, people asking for money, gangs, car jackings, homeless sleeping on the beach, men groping men in public,$20 parking lots....get the picture? Good Luck , Chris and have a great time in Naples!!!

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM
Patrick

Ok, I've lived in Naples since 1977. I just returned from having dinner on 5th Avenue South at Corks. It is 11:45 PM. We arrived at 10:30 and left just after 11:30. Fifth Avenue South was still surprisingly busy -- and not a person over 60 -- most in their 30's. The old days of Naples being an old person's place are gone. There are actually many young "yuppies" in Ft. Lauderdale and Miami who zip over to Naples for the weekend. Don't expect late night nightclubs or dance clubs -- they don't exist here (other than Zanzibar at the Registry as mentioned above), but fine restaurants, YES! And the beaches are wonderful.

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:43 PM
Dave

I love to read the posts here of the small town people that insist on saying Miami is crime ridden and nobody speaks english. If you are from a small, quiet, boring place go to Naples and experience what you have at home. Miami does not have a crime rate higher than other major US cities, including Orlando. And most of us, contrary to the people scared to death of Miami, we do speak English. If you like NY or LA you will like Miami. If you like Des Moines or Topeka you will like Naples. Seeing that the poster is from the Northeast he will be right at home here in South Florida.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:39 AM
Susan

So....Chris, what's the verdict???
East or West? Either way, how about a 'trip report' when you get back?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:08 AM
xxxoooo

Wow, Dave, name another small town in this country that has what Naples has!
I've been to Naples and there sure isn't anything there to remind me of Topeka or Des Moines! Maybe Carmel or Palm Springs.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:08 AM
chris/Liam

Our decision was Miami Beach. Naples is beautiful (don't get me wrong), but we were looking for a vacation that is a little over the top - at least I was. So, we agreed on South beach (the Delano) and Key West (Artist House) for 5 days in July.

Susan - yes, I will post a trip report when we get back. Actually, I have a confession, I did not use my real name on this thread. I always use my real name, "Liam," on the boards, but each time I post under my real name some of the caring Fodorites who know my story ask about my wife's health (she recently underwent chemo/radiation and then stem cell transplant to fight a rather persistent cancer). I appreciate the questions about her health (they remind me that the board is full of nice folks, even amid the trolls), but I really wanted to get info on the destinations and not inundated with the kind thoughts of well-wishers. I hope you understand. I will certainly post a trip report when we return.

xxxoooo - maybe I misread Dave's post, but I didn't take it the same way you did. I think what he was saying was that someone who is used to the slower pace of a small town might be more comfortable with Naples' relatively slower speed than with South Beach's party scene. As it is, we're from a pretty busy big city (Boston) and would feel at home in either setting. We'll make it to Naples some day, but we really wanted to live it up on this vacation.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Theresa

I used to live in South Beach and am going there on a business trip next week. My uncle lives in Naples. We frequently drove over to visit him (Alligator Alley) for a day or two.
I love South Beach and think it has much to offer. There's great shopping, fabulous restaurants - many knockoffs from New York. The beach is clean and nice and the water is blue (as someone else mentioned). While living there I frequently walked Ocean Drive (where I lived) by myself. I was never afraid. I also never locked my car. Naples is more laid back than South Beach. I'd say, try to visit both (you'll have time). I love to get a good book and go to the beach and people watch and read! Lincoln Road Mall, Jackie Gleason theatre, Astere Italian Restaurant, The Grillfish, the Delano bar, Smith and Wolensky to watch the ships go out - all things I enjoyed doing.
Theresa