Advice for Santa Barbara to LAX?

Old May 21st, 2002, 11:05 AM
Daniel

Advice for Santa Barbara to LAX?

I'm planning on spending a week driving Highway 1 between San Fransisco and LA, and I think I've got everything figured out except for one thing - Santa Barbara to LAX...

I've got an 11 AM flight out of LAX on a Monday. Anyone got a good feeling for the best route to take between Santa Barbara and LAX, and how much time I might need? Right now I'm figuring I gotta leave 6 AM, and I'm just using the directions Mapquest gives.

I'd appreciate any advice...

Old May 21st, 2002, 04:23 PM
Susan

Daniel, I think you are probably right to leave at 6am. Considering you need to get to the airport at 9am (two hours before your flight), three hours to travel from Santa Barbara to LAX during morning rush hour should be safe.

Which way to go? I'm thinking you will hit commuter traffic if you approach LAX from PCH through Malibu, and you will hit terrible traffic going over the Sepulveda Pass if you take 101 to the 405. Will you have a passenger to take advantage of the HOV lanes? That might answer this question.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:07 PM
joesorce

I'd definitely make the drive late Sunday night and stay near LAX. No hassle on Monday morning before the flight, return the rental car and then rely on the hotel shuttle in the morning. So much easier.

On weekends the L.A. hotels have some great rates. Recently through Hotwire we got the Hilton for $58, and didn't have to pay the $12 parking fee since we returned the rental car then took the shuttle to the Hilton.

Santa Barbara to Lax is also trafficky on Sunday afternoon with everyone returning from the beaches. I would wait it out and leave Santa Barbara around 8pm if I were you, getting to LAX at 10pm. A beautiful drive at sundown by the way.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:00 AM
Daniel

I wish I could stay overnight in LA, but alas, I booked my hotels before my flights - so I'm pretty much stuck driving from Santa Barbara in the morning.

I do have a passenger though - so I can take the HOV safely.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Susan

Daniel, if you have a passenger then follow the mapquest suggestions to take 101 south to 405 south to LAX. You will have the advantage of using the HOV lanes over the Sepulveda Pass and through West Los Angeles, which will make travel easier. You will probably make it in less than three hours but better safe than sorry! Good luck.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
Daniel

Thanks for all your help!