Metro Help!

Nov 17th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Metro Help!

Planning on visiting the George Washington Masonic National Memorial on Nov 23, and then we want to take the Metro into DC to the Washington Monunment and then the Smithsonian and back to our car at the GWMNM. How do we do this? I'm map illiterate and am having a tough time with the Metro map.
Nov 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM

The King Street metro stop is immediately across the street from the GW Masonic Memorial. It's on the yellow line where you can catch both yellow and blue line trains. If you grab a yellow line train, take it to the L'Enfant Plaza stop and transfer to the red line. The Smithsonian station is one stop away. If you get a blue line train, ride it until you get to the Smithsonian stop. Reverse to get back to Alexandria. Perhaps that sounds more complicated than it is. View a station map here and you see it's pretty simple.
Nov 17th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! We're from NH and don't have alot of Metro experience! What line is the Washington Monument on? We are going there first and then spending the rest of the day at the Smithsonian.

Mary
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:09 PM

The closest metro stop to the Wash monument is the Smithsonian one. Very short walk. You'll see it when you come out of the station. The monument is on one end of the mall and the Capitol building at the opposite end. In between are many of the Smithsonian and National Gallery buildings. You could easily spend a week going through them all.

Have fun!

Nov 17th, 2003, 03:16 PM

The Wash Monument really doesn't have a metro stop close by. The closest one is actually the "Smithsonian" stop. So... 1) From GWMNM take a blue train toward Addison Rd and get off at the Smithsonian metro stop 2) Walk to Wash Monument then walk back to the Smithsonian museums (about 5-10 min each way) 3) Reboard a blue train at the Smithsonian stop toward Franconian-Springfield and get off the King Street stop where your car is.
Note: You could also take a yellow train and then transfer to a blue or orange train at L'enfant Plaza stop. A few less stops but it could still take longer to transfer since trains don't run as often on Sundays. Simpler to take the blue line all the way around
Nov 17th, 2003, 03:33 PM
LN

Have to compliment you OBX - you sure do give good directions.
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help and excellent directions!!!
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM

Thanks much, LN
Nov 17th, 2003, 04:39 PM

If you take the Yellow line, and it's a nice day, you could exit the system at L'Enfant Plaza, which is located easy walking distance, about a block south of "The Castle" (Smithsonian Visitor Center). If it's cold outside, just get on the first train to arrive at King Street, as it's an outdoor station.

The red line crosses the other lines at Gallery Place and Metro Center, but not L'Enfant Plaza (sorry Obxgirl), and for GREAT directions to and from most places in the DC area, go to

http://rideguide.wmata.com

It even lists things like "walk .3 miles S.E. on Connecticut Ave" when you seek directions. Gives approx times and prices. www.wmata.com will give you system maps and parking info. Remember that unlike other cities, EACH passenger on Metro must have his OWN ticket (purchased from vending machines in the station) and you must insert it in the turnstiles both entering and leaving the station. There are two different fares between stations, peak and off-peak, and a sign will be posted at the security/info booth with the prices to each station. There is no change given by the personel ... have some $5 and $1 bills handy. Or just buy a $5 visitor pass, good all day (but not until 9:30am on weekdays) unlimited Metro usage. Enjoy your trip, and you'll find Metro easy & safe to navigate ... it just seems complicated until you're there.
Nov 17th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Sorry to jump on this post, but since I'm going to Dc on Thursday, just wondering if the Metro takes dollar bills. Here in NYC they don't. I know you have to have exact change and was planning on getting a weekly pass, but not sure if the weekly pass is good before 9:30am?
Nov 17th, 2003, 07:15 PM

missjanna, The metro farecard machines take $ bills. Don't know about the weekly passes but I'm sure someone will chime in with the info.
Nov 17th, 2003, 07:29 PM

As far as I know, you can buy a metro ticket with any legal tender. YOu don't hand it to a person or enter the train area without a ticket. You have to buy a ticket to use to get through the turnstiles. You buy them from machines and I think you can stick any kind of money in those machines, bills or coins. I use dollar bills all the time in them, usually ten or twenty dollar bills, but I think they take anything. You do not need exact change, the machine returns change if you want an amount less than you put in. If you are buying a small amount, you have to put in small bills because it won't return more than $5 in change.

The weekly $30 metro pass is a better deal than daily ones and is good any time of day. The daily pass is $6, I believe, not $5 and isn't just for visitors, anyone can buy one.

I have only taken the subway a few times in NYC and it was when they had tokens and I bought them from a clerk, but I thought a single ticket only cost $2, so why won't they accept two dollar bills? What's that all about.
Nov 17th, 2003, 09:17 PM

What I meant was you have to exchange legal tender for either tokens or a MetroCard in NYC. And the buses here do not take dollar bills, they only take coins.

Seems like the DC Metro runs similar to NYC where you purchase the card from a machine and then run the card through the turnstile. But $30 for a weekly pass and $6 for a daily? We only pay $21 for a weekly unlimited here but $7 for a daily pass.
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:53 AM

The "Visitor's Pass" (yes, anyone can use one) is indeed now $6 (wonder what I do with my unused $5 ones).

http://www.wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm

shows other fare options. I've also used the "7-Day Short Trip Pass" ($20)
Valid for seven consecutive days for Metrorail trips costing up to $2 between 5:30-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. on weekdays. Pass is valid for any rail trip at other times. If trip costs more than $2, you must use the Exitfare machine to pay any additional fare. We never had to pay the extra for any of our trips during those "peak" travel times during our 5 days in DC. Of course, you can also buy farecards that you pay "per trip" too, similar to NYC's Metrocards, except no bus/subway transfers.

The DC Metrobuses will accept paper money, but return no change.

Nov 21st, 2003, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

One more question...we're staying in Falls Church the first night....and would like to take the Metro in to see the Vietnam memorial, Lincoln's Memorial. I know there is a station in Falls Church, but what stop would we get off at?
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:12 AM
Doh

FYI, the metro has a pretty useful service on its website, which will figure out the best way to get from an address to an address (or a site such as "vietnam veterans memorial"). Go to http://www.wmata.com/ and look along the right hand side for the "ride guide." You can ask it for "rail only" or "rail and bus" etc...

As the ride guide will tell you, there isn't really any metro stop near the Lincoln Memorial/Veteran Memorial. I suppose one option would be to go to Arlington Cemetary and walk back across Memorial bridge, but I'm not sure that's a good route for pedestrians. The other option might be Farragut West, but I think that's a decent walk. You might be best off just taking a cab (or metrobus could get you closer).
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:12 AM

There are a number of Metrobus routes in DC area. On the WMATA website, you can purchase maps of either MD/DC or VA/DC bus routes for $1.50 (I don't have mine with me right now)

Altho I seldom take a bus, by habit I always get a bus transfer from the dispensor as a enter a Metro station, as I can board a bus for only $.25 with the pass. There are a number of buses that travel Constitution Ave. Find schedules/routes for buses serving a station at the security desk of most stations.
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:19 AM

Here's directions I just got at rideguide.wmata.com using criteria of

Take ORANGE LINE Towards NEW CARROLLTON
Depart: EAST FALLS CHURCH METRO STATION At 12:33 PM
Arrive: FOGGY BOTTOM METRO STATION At 12:48 PM
Walk 0.1 mile S to NW H ST & NW 23RD ST

Take bus #80 FORT TOTTEN Depart: NW H ST & NW 23RD ST At 01:04 PM

Arrive: NW VIRGINIA AVE & NW 21ST ST At 01:10 PM

Walk Walk 0.5 mile SW to LINCOLN MEMORIAL

Ain't technology grand!
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:13 PM

just a word of caution--there's an East Falls Church and West Falls Church metro station--both on the orange line. But don't assume you'll be within easy walk of either. For a small "village", Falls Church seems to cover a lot of ground.
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:42 AM

luvflamingos, your plan for the first night is an excellent one. You can just go to the Smithsonian stop and head to the Washington Monument as directed previously. From there, as you face the Lincoln Memorial, walk down to the right to find the VV Memorial then walk on to Lincoln.

From there find a taxi to the Rosslyn Metro station and return on the Orange Line to EFC or WFC. Another option would be to take the taxi down Constitution Ave, to 14th St, then cross 14th St bridge into VA. Ride up the GW Parkway with great views of Potomace and D.C. to the metro station. The more inexpensive options are to walk back to Smithsonian station via the reflecting pool (or longer walk, via FDR and/or Jefferson).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO