Message for Cathy re: St. Petersburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cathy, have you noticed how messed up all the right column listings of posts are? That's because you did a long title without using a single empty space. That made the title stay on one line and as a result everything is messed up and impossible to read. Whatever you do, don't add on to that post, and hopefully no one else will either, so it can at least get off the first page (most recent 50 posts).

I'm just curious. Why would anyone type such a thing without using a space?? Is your space bar broken on your keyboard?
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Ah. the Fodors editors are on the ball. I see they've already removed the "offending" post, so now all is back to normal. Cathy, I suggest you repost your question, this time appropriately using spaces.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:29 PM

Patrick, I suggest you have to much time on your hands.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Well apparently not as much as you. My post was posted to try to help someone learn how to do a post when there was a serious problem with the site -- making it impossible to read the topics. Since I posted it, the offending post is gone so this thread no longer makes much sense to you.

At least my post was meant to help someone. What was your post meant to do?
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:40 PM

I didn't see the post, but am pretty sure that Cathy did a copy/paste of the URL from a browser into the message (she didn't type it in).

With spaces entered into the URL, we wouldn't be able to copy from the message and paste it into a web browser to go to the page (i.e. without removing the spaces that we wouldn't know needed removed).

Usually, the best thing to do when you want to paste a URL into a post is to go to a previous page with a shorter URL that links to the page you want to see.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

No that wasn't the case. I forget the exact title but it was something like -- "I need a hotel in St. Petersburg. Does anybody have any suggestions for one as soon as possible". In fact there was no message below it, just a long sentence done as the title itself.

All that was done without a single space making one great big line which meant that all the other titles on this page wouldn't fit at all.
I'm not saying she did it intentionally, but I'm sure she wasn't aware how much confusion it would cause. I'm just glad it was deleted so quickly so that the board could go back and operate. Incidentally a couple of people posted slams to her on her thread. I chose to politely inform her on a separate thread. I'm sorry that "some people" got so bent out of shape about it.

By the way, mrwunrfl's comment is worthwhile too, but I suppose some will be offended that he also chose to offer a suggestion how to improve this forum.

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:52 PM

Patrick, you are a gentleman and a scholar. If you have time on your hands, we are the lucky ones.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:57 PM

WELL! I'm offended by my post! I answered a question but not the right one! I did not even get the point that it was about the mesage title! Space bars do break pretty often! I am now trying to see if I can break my exclamation point "!" key! I hope this helps!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM

!! <--bang, bang, as in ditto; what she said!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:24 AM

Two words: full moon. That's got to be it.
Have any of you ever felt like the space bar in your head is broken? Can't stop those rapid fire thoughts from coming, and can't get a word in edgewise w/yourself? Maybe that's what happened to Cathy. Or the full moon.