Search

Atlanta Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlanta Restaurants

I will be in Atlanta at the end of the month on business and am looking for some restaurant reccomendations. I'll be traveling alone so would prefer a place that I can sit at the bar and eat.

I'll be in the Cobb Galleria area.

I plan drive down to eat in the Buckhead area at least once..possibly at the Atlanta Fish Market.

I would also kind of like to go to the Varsity since I've never been there in all the times I've been to Atlanta.

Prefer "good" food as opposed to "fine dining" (although the two afre not always mutually exclusive)

Love seafood, soul, and ethnic.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:19 PM

Just north of the Galleria on Cobb Parkway is a great Chinese restaurant -House of Chan. I have eaten there numerous times, and I don't think they have a bar, but if you like Chinese, it is worth a visit.

Another recommendation is La Paz. It is a Mexican restaurant in Vinings just across from the Vinings Jubilee shopping area. La Paz would only be about a 5 - 10 minute drive from the Galleria area as it is only one exit down 285. La Paz has a bar and very good Mexican food.

Also in Vinings Jubilee is Garrison's Broiler and Tap. They have a bar that you could eat at, a very relaxing atmosphere, and good steaks.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:13 AM

There is a new restaurant that has gotten rave reviews. I've eaten there 2 times myself. It is without a doubt the best Thai food anywhere. In fact it was written up in the New York Times as one of the best new restaurants in the US. It's called Nan and its located at the new bridge on 17th street in Midtown. Call to make a reservation even for lunch. The prices are very reasonable, the place is a showplace and the service is impecable. If you want great food you'll have a hard time finding it in Cobb County!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:11 AM
GoTravel

The Varsity is downtown and good but I'd don't know if I'd make a specific trip just to eat there.

If you do go, if you have a car, use the drive in. Those guys have been there something like 40 years. It is more of an experience than the food.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:04 AM

Rays on the River is pretty good (www.raysontheriver.com) and there is a Pappadeaux and a Pappasitos right off of Windy Hill Rd right beside each other. Canoe is another good choice. http://www.canoe-atl.com/.

If you want a quick bite while you are at the Galleria, you could eat at Jocks and Jills. It is pretty good. Here is the link to the mall at the Galleria.
http://www.galleriaspecialtymall.com/index_home.html
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links...and all the suggestiosn from everyone

The Rays on the River looks great for seafood
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Three of us attended a 3-day convention this past summer at the Cobb Galleria area. We stayed in the Midtown area. After driving around the convention area to see if we should have stayed there instead of Midtown, we were happy to have been in Midtown. We all commented on all of the mostly chain restaurants around Cobb. It appeared rather boring compared to the great restaurants we ate at in Midtown. One after another!

BTW - landed the Wyndom in Midtown through Priceline for $50/night. It was a great hotel and again, we loved the area.