Four Dinners in New York City.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting NYC in mid August and would like some restaurant tips. We have a booking at La Cote Basque which is presently being refurbished and another dinner at Pampano - a Mexican Seafood Theme restaurant. For the other two nights please help us find what is new and good or better than ever! Thank your for your advice.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Steve,

Well, I'll just start recommending restaurants to you all over the globe then. But it would be easier if I had a better idea of your preferences in regards to price/cuisine/neighborhood. Are you looking for casual local hangouts? Foodie experiences? For casual, a burger at Molly's, Old Town, or Corner Bistro is a must. For foodie, Marcus Samuelson's (I know I spelled that wrong) new place Riingo has stayed strangely under the radar, but I had a fabulous meal there (stick with the fusion side of the menu) even if the decor is strangely off-proportion. Classics include Gramercy Tavern, Peter Luger's, JG. Danny Meyer restaurants (GT, Tabla, Blue Smoke, US Cafe) have excellent service; I love the Jimmy Bradley places (Harrison, Red Cat, Mermaid Inn). Spice Market is the hot table of the moment (call NOW for a rezzie).

Provide more details and I am happy to provide more specific recs... Kiki
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Steve -- as you know, La Cote Basque is presently closed for renovations. I wouldn't say it's being "refurbished" as the owners intend to open it as a much different restaurant. It won't be a classical French seafood restaurant, but will be a much more casual, bistro-type restaurant. Someone else may have more details.

As for other suggestions, give us some details about what you'd like -- type of food, cost, neighborhood, etc.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice on Cote Basque lisettemac. That is disappointing ! I guess we know many of the great names in NYC restaurants. We lived there 20 years ago and many of course are still there. I used to enjoy Perigord, Pen and Wig, La Cote Basque and Le Veau d'Or for instance. The big steakhouses like Mortons and Smith and Wollensky are a bit heavy for me nowadays. More a lunch venue with plenty of excercise needed thereafter ! We are very interested in food and wine. Maybe we are foodies.
Kiki, Riingo sounds very good. Location does not matter greatly whether Midtown, Upper East or West, the Village, Soho or even on Tenth Avenue. When I was there on a business trip recently I came across an interesting looking place called Pampano (Midtown East and formerly known as Domingo) - part owned by Placido Domingo. So far it is the only booking I have made. Thanks again.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Here's a mixture of places at different price levels and different food types.

La Mangeoire - Provencal food in a very nicely decorated space. Reasonable prices and a great value. 3rd and 54th.

Rene Pujol - More of a classic French. But, very reasonable for what it is - about 1/2 the cost of some more well known places. 51st and 8th.

Calle Ocho - Pan Latino. Caters to perhaps a youngish crowd. Excellant food and cocktails. Expensive but reasonable. Columbus and 84th.

Felidia - Fantastic Italian. Tends more towards Northern Italian. Run by PBS tv Chef Linda Bastianni (sp?) Pricey.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Ryan - you have given me four places I have not heard of before. I will start doing my research. Thanks again.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 04:02 AM

Hi SydneySteve. In case you didn't know, Perigord is still open. Don't know if they're closed in Aug. though. Friends who live right near there go often. While I gather the clientele is a bit long in the tooth #39;)they say the food's still great.

If you want classic French seafood, Le Bernardin is superb. Again, don't know if they take August off.

One of the biggest things that's happened in NYC recently is the opening of the new Time Warner building at Colomus Circle. It houses the new Mandarin Oriental hotel which has at least one rest. that's gotten rave reviews (the views there are awesome). There's also a bunch of rest. in the building. Per Se is the top spot. Fodorite bugswife1 wrote a recent review here if you do a text search. Very pricey though.

Some other newish hot spots
Lever House
L'Impero (Italian-this is a must IMO)
Django

I recently tried (at the suggestion of bugswife) David Burke & Donatella. Very good, very fashionable. I think it might even be in the old Veau D'Or location. It's 61 just west of Lexington. They have a few signature dishes like a cheese cake lollipop tree.

Pacific Grill just opened on June 30th at 89 South Street Seaport in the Pier 17 Mall. Pan Asian cuisine. Would be a good destination spot for a hot summer night but haven't read any reviews yet.

Have fun.

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 04:52 AM

My most memorable meal in nyc was at a place called Butter.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 04:55 AM

I am really interested in this thread! We are going to NYC for 35th anniversary this Dec, I am taking copious notes about good restaurants. We used to live in N. Jersey, but have not been to NYC in years. PLEASE keep the recs coming . Judy
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Here's a review of Butter from the current NY Mag
http://www.newyorkmetro.com/content/02/wk27/review.htm
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:10 AM

When deciding among restaurants, I find this resource helpful. I lists the menus for over 4000 Manhattan restaurants.
www.menupages.com
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Rosa Mexicano for good Mexican!!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Emily, is Rosa mexicano an authentic/traditional Mexican or Tex-Mex style ? The restaurant I found on the East side of Midtown called Pampano is far from being Tex-Mex - very innovative seafood focused and their cocktails are interesting - like blood orange margheritas.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

We are leaving on the 7th of August and still have two nights undecided. While New York Metro web site report what is trendy, hot etc., we would be very interested in comments about restaurants that you have been to recently that were top. Thank again.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Il Mulino (italian) in the Village! Pricy but worth it (IMHO).
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 04:09 AM

Pumpy,
I'm curious, do you get called "a friend of ours" by your associates? If not, then I think it'd be very difficult for someone coming to NYC to get a reservation last minutes at Il Mulino. Getting a table a month or two ahead of time is difficult enough.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:00 AM

Hello SydneySteve,
A few less expensive options:
l'Ecole @ the French Culinary Institute on Lower Broadway - interesting "local" wine list (LI and VA in particular) - last time there, the 4 course meal was $26.(US).
L'Acajou - kind of low end FR Bistro with great food and lots of Alsatian and Rhone wines priced near retail.
The Tasting Room in Baja Manhattan - muticourse extravaganza - well done with good Pinot Noirs on the wine list.
M
Enjoy!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Steve,

Went to Son Cubano in the Meatpacking District this weekend - good food, live band, and a procession of beautiful people. Fun to sit and watch (while enjoying a delicious watermelon martini).

My current fave is Casa Mono - Mario Batali's newish Spanish - tiny, open kitchen, well priced with great food - adore the wild boar, scallions, and manchengo tasting...
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:31 AM

Mikemo I always like your suggestions.
KikiLee yours sound great too.
SydneySteve have you checked your email?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM

I tried Cafe Boulud, on mclaurie's suggestion, earlier this month, and thought it was delicious! It's on the Upper East Side - 76th street, and there are travel reviews you can read on trip advisor (links you to Fodor's & Frommer's comments, as well as one I wrote after trying it . Have a great trip - we did!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -