Memorial Day Weekend in New Orleans - must sees/eats

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are going to New Orleans from the 24th - 28th for a "girls weekend." We are staying at Harrah's (because I could get comped there) and we need meal suggestions. We will not have a car, but heard we can take the trolley almost everywhere.

I plan on taking my mom out for a belated Mother's Day restaurant to a nice restaurant one night - I was thinking NOLA.

Other than that I think we're going to just wing it for meals, except we're going to try to do Commander's Palace one day for lunch.

We have a Honey Island Swamp tour planned for Sunday morning, but other than that no tours are planned. We thought we might schedule another tour for Mon or Tues so ideas are welcome.

We like culture, history, eating, shopping - all of the typical stuff girls like. Got any good suggestions for us?

Also, we both really love cats - are there any good "cat focused" sites or shops in New Orleans?

Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Hi,
I used to live in New Orleans and am moving back this summer. I love to point people in the right direction so they don't go to the tourist traps.

Here are some options:

"Jacquimo's" on Oak Street which is uptown and accessible by the St. Charles street car line. They don't take reservations. If you go have a late dinner on Tuesday you can see the Rebirth Brass Band next door at the Mapleleaf afterwards. They're a quintessential New Orleans band- not to be missed. If you don't dine on Tuesday have your concierge check to see what night they're closed.

Shopping on Magazine Street. You can take the bus from near Harrah's. Go Uptown on the bus until Magazine bends. Then you'll see the beginning of the shops and restaurants.

When you go to Commander's Palace go to the cemetary across the street afterwards. It's one of the most beautiful cemetaries in New Orleans.

If you want to have lunch, go to Liuzza's by the track in Mid City. From Harrah's walk down Decatur Street to Esplanade Ave, and take the Esplanade bus to Mid City. Tell the driver you want to go to Lopez Street. Once on foot go right from bus route onto Lopez and you'll run into Liuzza's. The barbequed shrimp po-boy is amazing. (It's not b-b-q like you think) This is a beautiful area to walk around looking at houses and there's a coffee shop, Fair Grinds around the corner from Liuzza's. To get back up to the hotel, keep walking up Esplanade to Carrollton where you can take the street car back to Canal Street to Harrah's. Or you could get an ice cream/ gelato at Angelo Brocato's on Carrollton before you hope on the street car.

Other restaurant options that are in the FQ and therefore walkable: (and NOLA will be amazing for dinner- make reservations NOW)

Bayona- 430 Dauphine, closed Sundays
Irene's- 539 Saint Phillip

Check out Frenchman Street (Decatur St turns into Frenchman when you cross Esplanade Ave) for music. There's music every 5 feet on Frenchman. If your mom doesn't want to "club hop"(ha-ha) you can get tickets to a show at Snug Harbor at 626 Frenchman Street. It's more elegant and you can sit down and order drinks.

Another fun night spot is the Rock & Bowl in Mid City. Have your concierge see who's playing. But you'll have to get a cab and back. My dad and I danced until 2am there to zydeco music when we were planning my wedding!

That's all I can think of for now. I've pointed you toward the most non-touristy places possible. Feel free to email me: [email protected]

Have a great time!!!!
sukiduper
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sukiduper. We had plans to see the Rebirth Brass Band already - checked their schedule a few weeks ago and saw they were at the Maple Leaf. I'm a jazz fanatic so I am very excited about this.
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:15 AM
BKD

jenblase,

Sounds like a very nice trip. Harrah's Hotel is very nice. Check out the art work. There's a lot of great art in there and it's pretty much all local artists.

I'm assuming your mom is in good health and gets around well? There will be a lot of walking and it's starting to get warm here.

First off, the streetcar is great for going down St. Charles Ave. and out to City Park, but count on taking cabs a lot. The streetcars do not go everywhere (wish they did). With respect to Sukiduper, I'd steer away from the buses.

Many folks here think that NOLA may be Emeril's best restaurant. So go and tell us what you thought. Mondays are tough to find restaurants open so be mindful of that.

Here are some of my favorites:

Stella- for a special meal
Cuvee- one of the more creative menus
Herbsaint- really steady
GW Fins-high end fish in the quarter
Lilette-uptown favorite
La Petite Grocery-uptown
Clancy's-uptown's version of Galatoire's
Gautreaux's-uptown small great food
Sucre-high end desserts uptown
MiLa-new really great in CBD
Grand Isle-near Harrah's great for lunch

I could go on and on.

Shop on Magazine St. for antiques, clothing, jewelry. Day spa would be great for you and your mom. Belladonna is the largest day spa on Magazine St. My wife loves going there. You could easily spend all day on Magazine. If money is not too much an issue, you might hire a driver for the day to take you down Magazine St.

For culture, check out the Ogden Museum of Southern Art and the Contemporary Art Center across the street. D-Day Museum is next door as well.

Music-take a cab to Frenchmen St. and go door to door. Spotted Cat is free and incredible.

Cocktails-take the streetcar to the Columns hotel and sit out on the porch and have a drink overlooking St. Charles Ave. in the late afternoon.

Most of all, have fun and thanks for coming.
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:44 AM

You mentioned that you may have room for one other tour or excursion. I'd recommend seeing the plantations one day. Laura Plantation or Oak Alley come to mind first.

I personally think Emeril's is better than NOLA, but that's my opinion. I didn't see K-Paul's mentioned, but that is a quintessential Cajun restaurant.

Instead of taking the bus to the Fairgrounds, why don't you take the Canal Streetcar to NOMA/City Park and then walk it from there. It's not that far from the streetcar stop.

I also recommend taking the St. Charles line out to Camelia's Grill for breakfast one day - it's a great experience.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM

New Orleans Food and Wine Experience is going on at that time as well...