Detroit Airport Layover

Search

Detroit Airport Layover

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Airport Layover

We will be having a 3 1/2 hour layover at Detroit airport on a Friday evening starting at 5:30---is there anything close where we could take a cab---for maybe 1 1/2 hours to see that we could get back to the airport---never had to wait that long for a flight and my 3 grandkids(13, 12, 12, ) will be bored to death---or is that a bad idea?.
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:16 PM

That time on a Friday would make me nervous. Mamaw or one of the other Detroiters may have a suggestion.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:06 PM

We fly in and out of Detroit frequently and I would not leave the airport for that short a time. There are restaurants and shops in the airport - I would just stay there.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Hello gail, I haven't been to the Detroit airport but my daughter and son-in-law have when flying to Italy via NWA. They love the terminal (NWA's) and enjoy having a drink and a meal. You don't say what airline you are flying with but if it is NWA from my kids experience you should not be bored..evidently there are a lot of great shops to look through also.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:50 AM

3.5 hours is really not enough time to do anything and traffic can be bad at that time on a Friday.
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I also agree with the other posters about Metro. By the time you get anywhere interesting it will be time to turn around to go back through security.

Which terminal will you be in? If it's the new McNamara terminal, I think you'll be able to find enough to amuse yourselves. If it's the Smith terminal you might advise them to bring things to do. They do have a shuttle from one terminal to another if you're at the Smith and want some better choices. Check out the website for the airport for details and for specifics on what is before security at McNamara.

By the time you get off of the plane, use the facilities, have a sit-down meal and get reorganized, it probably won't be too bad, plus they're not 'little' kids. Three kids under the age of 5 would be much more of a challenge than three teens/tweens.