Search

Memorial Day Weekend in Nashville

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memorial Day Weekend in Nashville

Hi;
Hubby and I are meeting friends of ours (another couple) in Nashville for Memorial Day weekend (coming up!) They live in St. Louis and we are in Atlanta, so we are driving to see eachother, and figured Nashville is the central point. We will be staying at a Marriott in Opryland and will have Sat and Sun to spend in N'ville. I have only spent one day in N'ville, looking at Real Estate with a friend, so don't know much about what there is to do. Can anyone make any suggestions for the weekend in the way of fun places to go at night (restaurants, bars, shows, entertainment, etc.)? And also shopping...boutiques, vintage shops, clothing, antiques, etc. I would say we are all a little less low-key and more high-energy! All in our early to mid 30's. Anything special going on over the holiday weekend???
THANKS MUCH! We have no clue where to go or what to do!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:56 AM

I can't help you too much on specific night spots, but the downtown area is very active at night (centered around Broadway and 2nd Avenue). At some point, since you are in the area, you should walk through the Opryland Hotel. Go to www.tennessean.com (the local newspaper)and click on entertainment. It has restaurant and nightlife info. There are shows at the old Ryman Auditorium, at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, and of course, the Grand Ole Opry.
You probably don't want to spend all day at a mall, but near you is the Opry Mills mall. The area around Vanderbilt (Hillsborough Village) has some interesting shops. There is a bar/nightclub there called the Bluebird Cafe with local talent. Finally, if you want to take a pretty drive into the country drive to Franklin, TN (about 15 minutes south of Nashville), which has antebellum mansions, civil war sights, and a nice downtown.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:03 PM

Always worth checking out what is happening at the Blue Bird Cafe. They have a web site that lists the acts on the nights you are in town. You can order tickets from the web site. I have always been entertained. Often big name country acts are in attendance and do walk ons. This is a small venue, with a national reputation you won't be disappointed.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:15 AM

I highly recommend Watermark restaurant in the Gulch area ($$$). You may still be able to get reservations and if the weather permits, the outside dining has a really nice view of downtown. Bluebird Cafe is a great place and can be hard to get into. You can also try the Station Inn (there are way too many great music venues to list). Bob is right about Lower Broad. Most people walk around until they hear a good sound and follow it.
Antiques: Highway 100 near the 100/70 split in Belle Meade offers some great shops as well as an area on 8th Ave. Leipers Fork and Franklin (small towns about 30 minutes away) are antique meccas and provide wonderful sightseeing. Word of warning: once you visit Leipers Fork you will never want to leave. Try the charming sandwich shop behind the art gallery. In Franklin, make sure you hit Iron Gate and Mayfield Walker for antiques.
Obviously, I am into antiques, but not vintage clothing. I have seen beautiful things at Zeldas in Green Hills. Let me know if I can be of more help. Have fun.
Old May 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM

We were in N'ville last week. Spent several hours Sat. morning at Cheekwood, mansion & gardens donated by Maxwell House coffee family. If you like gorgeous gardens and walking, go there. Getting there thru the Belle Meade neighborhood is not hard on the eyes, either!
We had one dinner at Ellendale's, highly recommended but we were highly disappointed. Have fun!