Road Trip to Nashville

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip to Nashville

Eight female teachers are heading to Nashville for a weekend getaway this fall. Planning on a little shopping, a lot of good eating and kicking our heels up to some great blues/country. Need suggestions for

1) clubs/bars
2) shopping venues
3) and a hotel near them (NOT Opryland)

Where's the hippest neighborhood in Nashville?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:10 AM

As far as shopping, Opry Mills, which is near Opryland, is an excellent place to shop.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Just did a trip to Nashville two weeks ago and had a great time. Opryland Hotel/Opry Mills are WAAAY away from the heart of the fun, and not really anything special for shopping or otherwise. We couldn't get a room right downtown, there was something going on, but stayed at the Loews Vanderbilt Plaza, which was a great hotel. We walked about 20 blocks (we like to walk) to downtown and there are so many clubs/bars with bands playing for tips that we decided to do "one bar, one beer" to enjoy them all. It was a blast! On our walk, we found a nicer selection of restaurants a little further away from "downtown" but there are choices there as well. The Renaissance would be an ideal location or even the (Wyndham?) Union Station hotel, but it's a few blocks further. We toured that one and it was very nice. There are small tourist shops downtown, but more of the souvenier type. Have fun!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 10:51 AM

I have lived in Nashville for the last 16 years. If you want shopping, then Opry Mills IS the place to go. It's a large semi-outlet mall with a lot of neat places. Downtown is not a place to shop. There is also an outlet mall across the street from Opryland Hotel with true outlet-type stores.

The clubs/bars are too numerous to name. You can do what the previous reply said and start on Broadway and 2nd Avenue and see about 50 of them. These are honky tonks with local talent. Lots of fun. There are also a few dance clubs mixed in. Be sure to see Tootsie's Orchid Lounge (yes, that's the actual name). There is another famous place called the Bluebird cafe. It is on Hillsboro Road in a strip mall. You'd never know it to look at it, but it has spawned many a star. If you want to go there, make reservations. This is not a place for talking and living it up. They are serious about the music and will ask you to leave if you talk during the sessions. You mentioned you wanted to kick "our heels up to some great blues/country". We've got the country. If you want blues, go to Memphis.

As for hotels... I don't have much experience in Nashville hotels since I live here, but in what price range are you looking? Someone said earlier that the Opryland area is way away from the heart of fun. It's 20 minutes from downtown in rush hour traffic. Nashville isn't that big. It's also near the airport so most of the regular sort of hotels/motels are there. I would probably stay either right downtown (no more than a few blocks off Broadway), in the West End/Vandy area (where the Loew's is)or out in one of the suburbs. It depends on your budget.

Wow, I wrote a bunch didn't I? Sorry.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:07 AM

I found your response very helpful. Could you add more information. We will be in Nashville for a week in mid-October. We are less interested in nightlife than the eight gals, but more interested in things to do and sights to see. Also, can you recommend some decent, but not outrageously priced restaurants. We will be staying on McGavock Pike. This area is new to us and
we would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:32 AM

For lunch or dinner, I would suggest Monell's at 1235 6th Avenue North. It's a pay-one-price restaurant where you sit at the table and they load the table with different types of food. I think it's great for groups such as yours. It's a little out of the way because it's north of the downtown area, but I think it's worth the trip.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll hit the outlet malls at Opry Mills. The Renaissance looks like it would be a good fit for us as far as proximity to nightlife. I'm assuming that there are good restaurants in the general vicinity as well. Any favorites?
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Hmmm...Im not sure the outlet mall would be considered fine shopping.If you want better shopping ,I would situate myself in the Green Hills area.Great mall plus lots of great restaurants and cool boutique stores.Also they have some good day spas in this area..not sure what you girls want.Im not sure where the Renaissance is but Im not sure I would want to stay downtown.Green Hills has a very good Hampton Suites which is close to lots of good stuff.Are you girls wanting a upscale uneviroment or a toursity type thing??That will determine where you want to be.Plus,the Bluebird is in Green Hills.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:20 AM

Why is someone staying on McGavock Pike??????????
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:53 AM

A good "girly" place to go is The Factory in Franklin (south of Nashville). It is actually an old Factory that they turned into a mall type of place. It is very upscale though but a fun place to look around. There are restaurants there, too.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Oh, and I second Monell's. It's some good homecooking in a neat setting.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:05 AM

I second the recommendation for the Green Hills area. The Mall has upscale stores and there are all kinds of other fun stores scattered around in that area. Personally, I can't stand Opry Mills and never go near it, too many kids. Green Hills Mall doesn't have "arcade" type stuff so doesn't attract the teenagers looking for love in all the wrong places. Plus, plenty of nice places to eat and if you love sushi, try Shintomi on Bandywood.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 09:23 AM

The Vanderbilt/West end area is my favorite. That is very close to great restaurants -- Boundary, Sunset Grill, the Trace. For breakfast Pancake Pantry on 21st is a must. Both the Loews and the Marriott Vanderbilt hotel are fantastic, but pricey. The Sheraton downtown has better deals and is more than adequate but downtown is dead at night. Merchants is a good restaurant down there. You must go to the Frist Center. It's a beautiful old building (the former post office). Spend a day at Percy Priest lake and visit the Parthenon.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:09 AM

I have to agree with Sharon.....Opry Mills is not for me.Not my type of stores or my type of thing.Also the Factory thing is very cool.Lowes is a great hotel and restaurants mentined above like the Trace,Sunset, etc. are very cool.I love Green Hills Grille which ,along with lots of other cool stuff, is in the Green hills area.Have fun!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Downtown is dead at night?? I thought we'd be better off there to visit some bars with good music. Am I wrong? What about the new B.B. King place? We usually go to Chicago in the fall, but looking for a different type of trip this year. More partying without the Prada. The outlet malls will satisfy our tight-fisted friend.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:14 PM

I'm sorry -- the main drag around downtown (Broadway) has many bars and restaurants, as does 2nd avenue. Other than that, it is quiet. I didn't not mean to mislead