Help is needed for a short trip to Nashville next weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Nashville next weekend (Oct, 15, Oct 16, Oct, 17) on a short notice. My husband will be busy at his conference, so I am trying to plan my free time.

We will be staying at Embassy Suite Airport.

This will be my first time there, so I've done my preliminary reading, and have some questions.
1. We would like to attend a performance at Opry (I beleive it is open). Do I need to buy tickets in advance on-line? Do they sell out?
2. Seems like veryone loves the performance at BlueBird. I looked at the schedule, and I am not familiar with any of these performers. So, in general, is this better to attend a later show?
3. We will have a car (we will be driving from Chicago). However, I am not too comortable driving in unfamiliar places. Can I easily get to downtown without a car - by taxi, bus,...?
4. I would love to visit a Visual art museum. And then the Country Music hall of Fame, Ryman, etc. Can I walk easily from the museum to these attractions?
5. Is Cheekwood botanical garden worth a visit?

Any other suggestions? Any good local places to eat. I already noted down - Loveless cafe and Pandcake Pantry.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 02:41 AM

Hi - I'm in Nashville, so hopefully I can help.

Opry tickets generally do not sell out completely unless a huge star is pre-announced as performing a particular show, so check out http://www.opry.com/shows/ThisWeek.html for a list of performers.

You can take taxis from the airport area to downtown, but taxis here are very expensive compared to other cities where public transport is more prevalent. However, there is a local law that limits what you can be charged in certain areas. In 'the triangle' (from the airport area to Gaylord Opryland Hotel area to downtown) you can only be charged $20 each way, so just make sure to let your driver know that you know about the triangle rule. Nashville can be a difficult place to drive for first time visitors (we have so many transplants and everyone drive's with their local quirks from wherever they came from so it turns into a bit of a mess).

Once you get downtown, you can walk from the Country Music Hall of Fame to the Frist Center for Visual Arts; it's several blocks, but very doable. You should also go by the Ryman auditorium and take the tour if you're interested in Country Music (you can buy tickets at the Country Music Hall of Fame).

Cheekwood is nice and has lovely gardens to walk; right now there is a Chihuly exhibit which is worth a look if you like blown glass. The home does have some interesting items on display, and is a popular destination, but having toured stately homes in other places, I don't find it terribly impressive.

The Loveless Cafe is worth a visit. It is just a short distance (literally across a parking lot) from the terminus of the Natchez Trace Parkway, so leave a bit of time to drive a little way down the trace. It goes all the way to Natchez, MS, but you could drive down a few miles and then turn around and come back at any point. It will be a BEAUTIFUL drive right now because of the fall colors.

Go to the Pancake Pantry on a weekday if possible. On weekends the line literally wraps around the block.

Also worth a check: East Nashville (across the river from downtown - same side of the river as the stadium) has some very good restaurants and bars. Follow Woodland Street. Battered & Fried is a favorite of mine. Jack's barbecue is very good, and if you're eating downtown, check out Mike's Ice Cream on Broadway between 2nd and 3rd; they do a selection of home made ice cream that is incredible.

If you're looking for good food near the airport, Ellendale's (http://www.ellendales.com) is excellent.

One other helpful tip: downtown Nashville has an abundance of panhandlers, but we have an aggressive anti-panhandler law that states if anyone is aggressive or threatening in asking you for money you can call the police and they'll take action. Basically they will ask you for $1 if they spot you as a tourist. If you give a firm no, they will back off thinking you're a local.

Hope this info is helpful. I love Nashville! Enjoy your stay - I hope you find it as fun, friendly and enjoyable as we do living here.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 03:32 AM

The Bluebird specializes in new talent. Most of the time the performers are not yet brand names. However, I have enjoyed every show I have attended. The selection standard is high. I have also found that the early and the late show are equally entertaining. Pick the time that best suits your schedule. You won't be disappointed.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 04:43 AM

I would also recommend Tayst on 21st. across from the Army/Navy store. It is a local place and has a seasonal menu. Really lovely and one of my favorite places to eat.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Jenny, Stumpworks, Sharon,

Thank you so much for your feedback! All these suggestions and tips - Great stuff!

I just got my reservation to the BlueBird for Sasturday, and will get for Opry for Friday. And with all these places to eat, I can not wait!!!

Thank you again!
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 05:53 AM

I love Nashville too--have a great time!

I think at The Bluebird you are expected to keep conversation to a minimum and listen. Not that you wouldn't, but it is not a noisy, "music as background entertainment" type place and I think they make a big deal about it?

I really enjoyed my tour of the Ryman. I think you can also tour the Grand Ole Opry, but since it just re-opened they may not be offering tours just yet.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Bricktop's on West End is also a great place. They have this incredible grilled artichoke that I love. Also the guacamole is delicous. Nice atmosphere and great bar.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Musicfan and Sharon again!

Yes, I read that it is very important to keep quite at that cafe. And I really liked it. I will go to Opry performance on Friday, so I will see it too.

I will tour the Ryman. Too bad I do not have enough time to eat at ALL these places
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Just another vote for Cheekwood, especially with the Chihuly exhibit. It's really amazing. Go at night if you can - everything is lit up and gorgeous. The drive from the airport area won't be too bad - 20 minutes or a little more, but mostly interstate and main roads. (Do watch out for police, though - the area around Cheekwood is notorious for speeding tickets.)

The Bluebird focuses more on singer/songwriters than big performers. Which is great, since usually you're hearing the song sung by the person who wrote it and knows how it's meant to be sung!

Completely agree on the Pancake Pantry - try to go Friday if you can. But it closes at 3, I think.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jent! Will try to go to the garden around evening then. And it is good that you gave me some background on the Bluebird.

You guys are great!!! Thank you so much!