Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Memorable Trip to San Diego with 10 Yr. Old Grandson

Dec 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

I am planning on taking my 10 yr. old grandson to San Diego during Spring Break and would like some suggestions as to what to see and do. How far is Safari West from San Diego? He lives in the D.C. area and has been to the zoo so I don't think that would be of much interest. Any comments on the Wildlife part of the zoo? We will be using public transportation so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Having been to both zoos in the past 6 months, I prefer the SD Zoo. Both are great but I felt the layout was better and a better selection.

I have not head of Safari West. Do you mean the Wild Animal Park? I still prefer the zoo but you can do a jeep tour and get very close to the animals, which would make it memorable. However, public transportation here may be impossible.
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Safari West is in NORthern California (so about 500 miles from San Diego) -- I assume you mean the San Diego Wild Animal Park?
Dec 30th, 2009, 03:29 PM

The Wild Animal Park in North SD has a sleepover at the
'park in the dark' program where you sleep in high end tents with beds inside the park and it is a HUGE hit.
I bet he would love that.
when is spring break for him?
He can take surf lessons or kayak at LJ Shores..google for both.
Legoland in Carlsbad might be too old for him..maybe not.
Birch Aquarium in La Jolla is lovely and you could take him to Petco Park in downtown SD to a Padres baseball game.
All kids love SD because there is so much to do.
You can forget about public transportation here..it will be basically non-existant and it takes forever.
You could do some things with the trolley if you stay in the Gaslamp area to Old Town but you need to rent a car.
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I have been to the Wild Animal Park and thought it was better than the zoo. I would definately do the Roar and Snore program. Also check out all of the tours that they offer in the day. Feeding the giraffe and rhino was very cool for kids and adults. This was feeding them in their mouth, by hand.
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Do a Segway Tour
Dec 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Roar and snoar is the name for SD Wild Animal Park..wonder where I got 'park in the dark'?
I thought about Segway tour on Coronado but don't you have to be 12 years old?
Dec 30th, 2009, 06:12 PM

Isn't there two companies in SD that do the segway???? not sure about age limits.
Dec 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Spring Break may be too early for a Padres game unless its in April (depends on school).Would highly recommend Petco Park.

Would also do a tour of the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier and the Maritime Museum in SD>
Dec 31st, 2009, 04:15 AM

We took our son to San Diego when he was 12 years old. We visited the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park and he loved them both. We also went to Legoland because our son was always a huge Lego fan. While he might have been a little old for Legoland, we still had a fun day. The Lego structures were impressive.

I think you are going to need a car in San Diego. I can't imagine trying to visit SD without a car.

Have fun!
Dec 31st, 2009, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Super recommendations. Thanks to all for your input. DGS's Spring Break is March 29 - April 2 so looks as if the Padres game may be out. DH & I were in SD last March, stayed downtown and used the trolley/bus + trains to get around and to the zoo. It was a lot of changing rides and waiting but I'm not sure I'de feel comfortable driving with just me and DGS. I'll check out the segway tours and animal park. I remember reading that Safari West is in Santa Rosa so guess that's too far away. Would appreciate any add'l input from others.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Dec 31st, 2009, 05:22 AM

SeaWorld! My boys LOVED it!!

Also, please rent a car or at least carefully research all avilable public transit well before your trip. San Diego is SO spread out with a relatively easy freeway system, I can't imagine relying only on public transit with a child along.

Have you already looked into that or were you just throwing that idea out there?
Dec 31st, 2009, 05:59 AM
TC

You might be surprised at how much help your grandson will be if you drive. When my nephew was about that age, he spent a summer with us. I fell and broke my right wrist very badly. Since my car was a 5-speed stick shift, we were stuck at home. A week of being bored and he and I figured out how we could drive together. I would steer with my left hand, brake and clutch -- he would do the gear shifting from the passengers seat. The kid was a whiz and we had a ball. Young men know an awful lot about driving and map reading. If you plan where you want to go each day and do the MapQuest driving directions from your hotel to the destination, he'll be able to read the directions and watch for signage while you drive. Its just another part of the adventure. Think how good you'll feel when the two of you become pros at driving around San Diego.

I agree with Sea World and the zoo as destinations. Both are easy to find and wonderful treats. The last time we stayed in S-Diego, we were at the Hotel del Coranado. The beach there is wonderful -- great seashelling, Marines doing their runs each day, kite flying, boats and planes to watch. It was a lot of fun.
Jan 1st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

I think I'll ask DGS to choose between the Zoo, Wild Animal Park or Sea World. I also may check into the Kayaking in LaJolla. I like the idea of letting him "help" with the drive by reading the directions and watching for signage. I have a GPS that I guess I could bring. The rental agencies probably also have them available to rent. Have any of you heard of GoCar. I read about them on Trip Advisor and they look like something a 10 yr. old would think pretty cool. I did check on the Segway Tours and he is too young for those.
Jan 1st, 2010, 02:58 PM

The water/weather may be too cool for kayaking in LaJolla; but you could walk down in the caves from downtown LJ toward LaJolla Shores (kayaking area); think he would enjoy Legoland and you could take him for a short ride up the Coaster (train)for an hour or two as sometimes May is gray; be sure and go over to Coronado Island. Yes, you will need a car. SD is not difficult to navigate.
Jan 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM

Another thought, rent a ski-doo or other boat on Mission Bay if weather permits. They have loads of choices and he would love it. You can also rent bikes or skates there.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Will the weather be fairly chilly in March?
Jan 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM

The weather will be in the low to mid 70's in March depending on if you are on the coast or inland. This for me is perfect weather. I don't like it when it gets too hot.

The ocean water will be cold - probably around high 50's low 60's. A lot of the kayaking companies will provide wet suits.
Jan 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM

opps, one thing you mentioned was public transportation. san diego has horrible public transportation - you will eat up all your time waiting for a bus. i highly recommend renting a car.