Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

best time to visit the volcano on the big island of Hawaii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to the Big Island for our first time and wanted recommendations for the best time of day to visit the volcano?

Any other must-see things to do while we're there? Especially since we're with our two teenage sons, one of which really doesn't want to be on this family vacation, so the pressure is on. (we'll be there Dec 30 to Jan 6)

Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:23 PM

There are two answers to this question because there are two aspects to the volcano. If you are talking about seeing lava flow into the ocean at Kalapana, then the best time to go is around sunset. If you are talking about seeing Volcanoes National Park and Halemaumau in Kilauea anytime is as good as the next.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:37 PM

The Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park is very large and can easily take up a day. Well worth seeing.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm

If you want to visit the current lava flow, then you should plan to go around sunset. The viewing area isn't in the park, but the park website has a link with information:

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lavaflows2.htm
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Make sure to take the short hike through the Thurston Lava Tube; don't be turned off by the steep stair descent to the entrance (through gorgeous rain forest), when you emerge, the walk back is a piece of cake.
You can't drive around the crater anymore (probably until the venting stops, so who knows), but all the overlooks are cool, and several trails are open.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:02 PM

forgot to add, bring flashlights into the lava tube; you can go farther in, where there are no lights; the boys should like that. Also, if you like those, take the gorgeous Old Mamamaloa highway from Waimea to or from the Waipo Valley overlook; there are several places to check out tube "caves". For many ideas and maps, coupons, etc., check out the freebie info and brochures at the luggage carousel area in KOA. (Teen boys might like the ATV tours, boogie boarding, snorkeling on a boat ride to Captain Kook/Place of Refuge)
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Sounds wonderful! I just packed 4 flashlights. Thanks for all the great advice. I can't wait.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:42 AM

I recommend you go visit the park during the day, and then about a couple of hours before sunset start heading down Chain of Craters Road. There is another road off this one (can't remember name right now) that is a one-lane road with beautiful views at the end; I think it's worth a side-trip.

Then at the end of Chain of Craters Road you can park your car and walk along the lava. We did this when it was still light, and we sat on the lava and watched the lava flow into the ocean as it was getting dark.Incredible! (Be aware that sometimes the lava is flowing and sometimes it isn't.)

Then on the way back across the volcano we stopped our convertible a the top of the volcano, leaned back and watched the millions and millions of stars.I could have stayed there all night watching all those stars.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:11 AM

You might want to check with the vnp website on that one; might not be feasible to do Chain of Craters expecting to see lava flowing. (not to mention vog or clouds obscuring the stars, depending on weather and wind!)
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM

Samsaf, when did you do that? There is no lava flow visible from the end of CoC road anymore, and hasn't been for a couple of years I think. The steam plume and lava entry is near Kalapana, which is on the coast, east of VNP. Which is definitely worth doing. We did this in September, and it was quite spectacular. But do check with the official website as Sylvia said. the flow can change at any time, becoming invisible, or moving, or becoming dangerous due to prevailing winds.

There are a couple of pictures on my blog, here:
http://4weeks4islands.blogspot.com/2...ava-entry.html,
although I didn't get such great pics when it got dark, as I had no tripod. It got much more interesting when it was darker.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Samsaf- Your information is obsolete. Please don't post it again.

It has been about 21/2 years since you could see lava and walk to it from Chain of Craters road. I was there a year ago and you couldn't see anything from the end.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 01:44 PM

As I told the poster, sometimes the lava is flowing and sometimes it isn't. It was 2 years ago that we were there, and we were able to see lots of lava flowing, and it was so beautiful! Sorry -- I do remember hearing that it wasn't flowing presently.

I still think it's worth driving the Chain of Craters Road over the volcano. The area at the top of the volcano reminds me of how I think the moon would look (but have never been to the moon, so don't know for sure ).

The snorkeling on the Big Island is reputed to be the best on all the Hawaiian Islands, and we've been to four of them and can say that the Big Island does have tremendous snorkeling. I recommend you take a Fair Wind boat trip (their newest boat, which is faster than the other regular catamaran they have). It is sort of pricey, but in my opinion it is worth it.

I also think your teenage boys would enjoy going down into Thurston Lava Tube in VNP.

Have fun planning!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:18 PM

I recommend SeaQuest for a great combination snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay (Capt. Cook) and Place of Refuge (Honaunau Bay); they leave from Kona, do a terrific job, and with an AAA discount (that they never asked for; there are other discounts, like Military, etc.), it cost $70 per adult (that included everything, gear, snack, even tax; a terrific price, if you check around). We saw spinners and bottlenose dolphins, too. www.seaquesthawaii.com (we've done the trip 3 times, and they were the best outfit, in my opinion; chat to them on the phone, and ask for the very best price!)
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 02:23 PM

one more thing; if you go to the Mauna Kea beach, go early for best parking; the Mauna Kea parking lot only has ~30 spots.
(REmember, even if there are gates and guards, there's shoreline access. I love it when a snotty guard says their rehearsed "welcome to the private so and so resort and golf club; how can I help you today?" Then you say "I'm going to the PUBLIC beach!")
Teen boys might also like hiking down to Keholo Bay; check out directions in the Blue Book.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM

oops; I mean Sea-coast Adventures for the snorkel trip: www.seacoastadventures.com. The other outfit leaves from much farther down the coast, not the Kona pier.
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM

Sea-coast appears to be a rib-craft vessel. If you have a bad back or get seasick this is not a great choice. Also it does not have restrooms, so for some that may be a problem.

Another option is the Fair Winds.

If you are going to snorkel by boat I recommend going to Kealakekua Bay. The water is super clear and because of the topography the fish are concentrated in a narrow margine. I would not spend money to go to two-step. You can do that for free, why pay for a boat.

Bill
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 11:32 AM

wb, what is "two-step"? For my future reference?
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM

Two-step is the best snorkel area on the island that is accessible by car. It maybe be the second best snorkel area after Kealakekua. It is next to Place of Refuge or Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Historic Park in South Kona which is also highly recommended. Teenagers should have fun there and at the park.

Bill
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM

Thanks! I never heard it referred to as "two step"; have snorkeled there several times. Once was after parking in the NP lot, and got lectured by the park ranger (tho we toured the park first; what a fabulous place). The other two were by boat, because the non-NP parking was impossible the next time we tried. Also, access was a little difficult for me the one time because waves made it scary to get out of the water on to the rocks. (I think the Kapoho tide pools are in the running for the top 3 spots!)
Old Jan 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM

Sylvia, I don't know when you got lectured, but last time I was there, probably 2008, the ranger told me that if I was only going to park at the park and walk to 2-step, that there would be no entrance fee. It didn't matter since I always go to the park after snorkeling so I pay. It's like a tradition. I'll be at 2 step alot this May.

I also like Kapoho. In my opinion Kapoho and Kahaluu are right there after 2 step. I no longer recommend swimming in the tidepool because of pollution but if you wade through the pools and snorkel the outer reef, it is fantasic stuff.

Bill
Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 07:37 AM

Guess he was having a bad day (we'd already paid the fee and visited the park)! I'll keep that in mind for my next visit, thanks (astounding water clarity there).
I've been following the Kapoho bacteria issue, too; entered the ponds with some open scrapes, etc. (even swallowed a little water after bonking my head), no resulting problems, thank goodness. The ability of basalt to actually absorb and filter septic waste before it hits the ground water (even from lined receiving ponds) is a huge issue, especially with increasing waste. I hope that eventually an earthquake-proof sewage-treatment plant will be available to residents (but that's a lot of money, and issues surrounding that will be years in the arguing), and that the tidepools can be protected from all the consequences of excess carbon, E-coli, etc. etc.!!.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -