Search

md anderson

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
md anderson

anyone stayed at the Rotary House which is connected to the Medical Center? Opinions would be appreciated.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
GoTravel

barney, help us out; where? Does md stand for Maryland or Medical? Is anderson the city?

Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I'm assuming barney means M.D Anderson Hospital at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. Although I'm familiar with the med center, I'm not familiar with Rotary House. I can give a thumbs up for Homestead Suites, though.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I, thankfully, have not had to stay there, but have never heard anything bad from anyone who has. I know plenty of people from So La who stay there.
Good luck with whatever is bringing you there.
MD Anderson is a hospital in Houston.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 01:24 PM

Although I've never seen any of the rooms at the Rotary House, several years ago my son's school held their auction there, so I saw inside. It was very pleasant and well maintained. I believe they might have a crosswalk over to the hospital. It seems like it would be a very convenient place to stay to access MD Anderson. I think they also have a courtesy van that will take you to nearby places. Keep in mind that Rice Village is less than a mile away and has many shops and restaurants.

My best to the recovery of whomever is being treated. It is really an outstanding facility and one of the best places in the world, if not the best, to be treated for cancer.

If there is any other information you need regarding Houston, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are some links to Rice Village and Village Arcade (which is part of Rice Village):
http://www.houstoncl.com/shopping/ricevillage1.htm
http://www.thevillagearcade.com/index.html
http://www.local-i.com/restaurants-b...mendations.htm

Here's a map of the area: http://www.tmc.edu/maps/map-houston-02.html

Susan
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Hi barney2002,
I have friends who have spent months at the time at M D Anderson. I will find out where she stayed, while he was a patient at the center and post here.. I know they provide shuttle service to the hospital for her. As stated priviously, it is a marvelous place.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 03:37 PM

The Rotary House International is on the south side of Holcombe Blvd, while the main building of MD Anderson is on the north side. There IS a covered elevated walkway that goes between the two. MD Anderson also just opened a new building on the south side of Holcombe, but that's connected too.

All the major Medical Center hotels should have shuttle service to all the hospitals.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 06:36 PM

barney2002, I talked with my friends, who were at M D Anderson such a long time and she said the Rotary House was lovely but it was more expensive than they wanted to pay, since they were there 44 days the first time and quite a while on other visits. She stayed at The Radison Suites, which are now owned by Best Western, she thought. She had a sitting room, small kitchen and sleeping area. She was pleased with the hotel for the length they had to remain in Houston. She said M D Anderson is a wonderful place. I wish you well on the visit there.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 07:46 PM

The Rotary House is, I believe, managed under a contract by Marriott. It is pretty much like you find at most Marriotts - clean, friendly, dependable. It is more expensive than other options in the area, and there are several of them. Marriott has a Residence Inn property near the Medical Center that may be a good choice.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:55 AM

The Rotary House is operated by Marriott. From what I have seen, it is very nice. I have only eaten there, and the food was good.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:34 AM

My husband was hospitalized in MD Anderson in 1992 and 1993 for a total of over 3 months. He was given months to live in '93 but after his surgery and treatment has been cancerfree since. We are forever grateful to the wonderful doctors and nurses there. You are going to the best place to be treated! While there, and every year since for his check-ups, we've stayed at the Marriot Residence Inn over on South Main. If you ask for the medical rate they'll give you a substantial discount on their normal rates and the rooms are like fully furnished apartments with kitchens. There's also a free breakfast and hospitality hour in the early evening. We wish you the best during your visit!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:35 AM

We too stayed at the Residence Inn for six weeks. Staff there is very concerned about your well being and accommodating all your needs. There was a free shuttle to the Medical Center.We got a very good rate with some kind of discount, maybe it was the medical rate.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:23 AM

My husband and I stayed there one night with my father-in-law who had colon cancer and mother-in-law. We stayed in a suite which was surprisingly VERY nice. There is some kind of connection between it and the hospital - it's been 14 years since staying there, but I remember thinking what a great convenience it was.

My prayers are with whoever will need to visit MD Anderson for treatment.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 08:19 PM

I know I am a year + behind on this post but I just have to say I loved reading the comments on MD Anderson (I work there). It is also a really great place to work (been there for 13+ years now and plan to retire there). Trust me when I say, the patients there are the most incredibly strong people I have ever met.

...just had to reply to this. Happened to bump into it doing a search on "kids entertainment" and "houston" of all things!