Mayflower Hotel - any good?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked into the mayflower hotel with our 4 children(6-13) for a first trip to NY. Having read these pages I'm wondering if we've made a mistake - (we can't get a park view.) Has it been refurbished or is it a bit shabby?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM

There are 15 reviews on tripadvisor here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._New_York.html

Sounds like some rooms are renovated & others not. If you've got a suite & are on a high floor sounds ok. If you're worried, call (like one of the reviewers did) & express your concern to manager & see what he/she can do. The location is terrific.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:00 PM

I stayed at the Mayflower last weekend. My double room was on the 11th floor, and it was a park view (stunning). Two windows; air-con unit in the bottom half of one window. Bathroom and pantry (sink, small refrigerator, cabinets) were spotless and everything worked. I adored the shower (tub shower, not separate units). Never had to worry about running out of hot water. And, the water pressure was strong. Heavenly. My room was overall a celadon green. The light colored carpet showed signs of much use, but it looked clean though worn in spots. The Mayflower is not cutting edge in decor. Nor is is the height of luxury. But, it was clean and comfortable. Decor bland & slightly worn looking. Plenty of space in the room, which is unusual for New York hotels. Two closets, one with ironing board. Plenty of hangers.

If you stick with the Mayflower, don't give up on a park view. Ask again when you arrive.

We found the staff friendly and helpful. Bellmen especially helpful.

At night, someone "mans" a desk at the elevators to ensure only those bona fide guests with keys get upstairs.

Location is hard to beat. Right on the park. Near Central Park South and Lincoln Center, as well as public transportation and the Natural History museum & the Rose/Hayden Planetarium.

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 07:48 AM

I'm in general agreement with other posters. I stayed at the Mayflower recently. Old, outdated rooms and carpet. Beds were average in comfort. I had a non-park view, and generally kept the shades closed because there was nothing to look at. But these rooms are big, and the prices are decent. If you are the type of person, like me, who spends virtually no time in your room, you may want to consider it. If you like to lounge and relax in your room, and make it part of your vacation experience, go for something nicer.

Location is excellent.... they have that going for them.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 11:58 AM

When we are in NY(at least one time a year, often twice a year), Mayflower is always on our hotel's list...
It's true that some rooms are "oldy"...
but they have been always clean, we've never had problem of water's heat or pressure...
Even standard rooms are large and really location is great, with some good restaurants nearby in Upper west side and a subway station, node of a lot of lines...
Only complaints we can made is that some of the check in or check out employees(some "managers" as you say) are not very friendly, but concierge-doormen, maid are all perfect...
So don't worry...
Erik and Anny.