Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Trip Report

Search

Mauna Kea Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Linda

Mauna Kea Trip Report

Just returned from an incredible week at the Mauna Kea on the Big Island. I can't say enough about this wonderful resort!! I've seen some comments here about it being "rundown" or "underwhelming" rooms, but that was not our experience AT ALL. I think they just went through a major renovation, so perhaps that is the difference. We stayed in the Ocean View room, which was wonderful - the view from the large balcony was breath-taking. We went with our 2 kids, 4 1/2 and almost 8, my sister and her family and my parents. Everyone agreed this was the one place they would gladly return again and again. My parents had spent the prior week at the Manele Bay in Lanai, and while they loved it, still prefer the Mauna Kea (this was their 4th trip). The beach was fantastic in every way, with great snorkeling (turtles, eels, octopus, along with incredible fish right off the beach - my 7 yr old had an incredible first snorkel!!), with just enough waves for the kids to have a ball but not enough for the parents to worry. The best meal of the week was at the Canoe Club at the Mauna Lani, with Merriman's in Waimea a close second. The Batik at the Mauna Kea was great as well. As mentioned in other postings, don't miss Cafe Pesto. Also did an afternoon of sight-seeing including Waipio Valley, Akapa Falls, etc - what a beautiful island. The Mauna Kea luau was great - the kids has gone to a hula lesson the prior day and got to get on stage and dance. This was the best family vacation I can imagine!! If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to share any other information.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:03 AM
maw

Linda,
Sounds like you had a grand time! We're going in November to the BI with our 2 daughters ages 5 and 9, 1 week Outrigger Waikoloa and 1 week in a Kona condo. Just wondering what island activities your kids enjoyed the most away from your hotel?
Thanks!

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Linda

My 7 yr old did the DolphinQuest encounter thru the Hilton Waikoloa - it was awesome!. In fact, we had lunch at the Outrigger while we waited for pictures. It looked very nice! Also, they loved the "mini-hike" to Akaka Falls. There was another falls you could hike to from there, but we ran out of time. We also wanted to go to Parker Ranch for horse-back riding, but ran out of time (we never wanted to leave the beach...), plus you have to be 8 to ride. You will have so much fun....!!! Once my 7 yr old discovered snorkeling, that was all we did...

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:00 PM
kam

We spent our honeymoon at the Mauna Kea just after it opened. Then we used to return every other Christmas with our whole family. It was renovated several years ago and I'm so happy to hear it's still as wonderful as I remember.Last time we were there was about 5 years ago and they had the same bartender at the beach bar and the same hostess in the dining room. The beauty of the Mauna Kea is the quiet way it blends into its setting and that gorgeous beach. I really dislike the other, newer, more flashy hotels on the Big Island and the Ritz Carlton to me looks like it belongs in New England somewhere. Thanks for your report.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 07:21 PM
maw

Linda, Thanks for your reply! Our 9 year old hasn't been much of water kid til THIS summer,hopefully she'll try snorkeling--but she and I certainly hope to do some horsebackriding. Both girls probably will do the Dolphin Quest, we won't be in Hawaii again for a looong time so want to make some memories!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Linda

On the DolphinQuest - you can book up to 60 days in advance, I think. Visit their website at www.dolphinquest.org and find out, because I think it fills up fast!

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:45 PM
mbln74a

Hi Linda, did you not see the manta rays swimming at the north end of the beach? At night the hotel shines a light into the water to attract the plankton & the mantas swim thru it..it is fascinating to watch.
If you didn't see it, you have a good excuse to return. BTW, that's my favorite beach.
Aloha, Linda

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:46 AM
linda

Oh, yes, that was amazing! In fact, they were SO big that we could actually see them from our balcony!!