Search

Maui's Haleakala - closest town/hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
tmt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui's Haleakala - closest town/hotel?

I’m trying to work on our trip to Maui in August. Right now we have 8 full days there.

What town(s) would be best to stay before doing the Haleakala sunrise trip? We will be driving ourselves so as not to be on a tour’s time table.

I am thinking about staying one or two nights in a town close to Haleakala so that we can see the sunrise at the top without having the long drive. Going to the Haleakala sunrise might be better accomplished on our first night in Maui since the time change will be in our favor to get up early – we will be coming from the west coast where we will be for one week prior to Maui, so used to west coast time by then. (We are from the east coast).
I’m also thinking of doing some easy hikes and see the sunset in the Haleakala area - so maybe 2 nights would be better at the same hotel/B&B. What town is closest to the top of Haleakala?

We plan on staying in Wailua or Kaanapali during the rest of the stay.

Thanks. T.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

Do a search for places in Kula, as that is a community in upcountry that is good for accessing Haleakala. There are some b&bs and small inns in this area.

-Bill
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Take a look at the cottages at Banyan Tree House in Makawao, which is a town on the lower slopes of Haleakala:

www.hawaii-mauirentals.com

I stayed in a cottage a few years ago and loved it. Returning next month for a longer stay...this time in the
larger Plantation House.