Maui - wrangler or convertible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't find anything posted very current on the subject. We'll be on Maui for 5 days. The road to Hana is on the agenda, alot of scenic driving. Just 2 of us 40 somethings celebrating 20th anniversary. Which vehicle would you recommend??
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:37 PM

Mustang convertible.

We were in Maui March 10-17. We originally rented a Jeep. Picked it up from the airport, drove to our condo, then drove back to the airport first thing in the a.m. to dump it and get the Mustang. The road to Hana has enough thrill in it with switchbacks without adding a lurching Jeep to the mix.

Also - road to Hana is often damp, so you probably won't have the top down the whole drive anyways. But, aside from Hana, we drove with the convertible top down the whole week...loved it.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 03:55 PM

Convertible. Comfortable and easy to secure. Push of a button and the top is down, or up.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:02 PM

Mustang convertible. At least you can lock it up. Keep the honest people honest.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM

We rented a mustang convertible last year in Maui. Would definatly do it again.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 09:55 PM

One of my favorite times on Maui was when our friend lent us his jeep to drive when we were there. Loved it. Yes, we did get caught in the rain(on the road to Hana) and had to pull over to put the top on but it's a memory we laugh about. Have an adventure.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:03 AM

We rented a wrangler a few years ago, it was a major pain, particularly putting the canvas on and taking it off, plus the vehicles are rough riding, poor handling and have no lockable luggage space.

The canvas has to go on every night as showers are not uncommon anywhere on the islands, unless you have indoor parking, and if you park under trees and don't put the canvas up, guaranteed there will be bird poop in the vehicle.

Convertables are far superior, I like the Chryslers, but I'm sure Mustangs are fine as well.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:14 PM
trippinkpj

We liked renting a Jeep Wrangler on Maui. But then, we're upcountry, Hana, Haleakala, outdoors kind of people. If you're staying in a resort and like classy comfort, go for the convertible. If you're like us, who stayed at a B&B in Upcountry (Haiku), hiking, backroads, granola and yogurt for breakfast, then go for the Jeep.
I hope this helps you.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 12:16 PM
trippinkpj

Here's another question: what kind of cars do you currently drive?
We're Honda Civic and Prius drivers.

Old Mar 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM

We had a jeep one trip, mainly because there was a good "special" so thought I'd try it. We found it very impractical overall, noisy and thirsty as well. Had thoughts of going up to Poli Poli state park with it but recent rain had made the track impassable.
Convertibles are much nicer and, contrary to what some say, you don't need 4WD for Hana Rd, it's paved all the way (except past Hana around the back of Haleakala), and is just a twisty road in a great setting !
If you want a really twisty and narrow road with some sheer drops on one side, drive "over the top" of west Maui from Kapalua to Wailuku or vice versa
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the tips. I was able to get a convertible at Thrifty.com for $132 with tax - $164 for 6 days. I was thrilled. Do you think Road to Hana will be a problem with all this rain?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 03:36 PM

I would ask about road conditions, and don't even consider the "forbidden road" if there is a lot of rain. On the other hand the waterfalls should be spectacular.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM

we're a little younger, early 30's had a ball in the jeep wrangler while on Maui. We found it a bit more adventurous and travel w/ light luggage anyway so it wasn't an issue.

BTW..how'd you get that great deal on the convertible? Wouldn't mind getting a convertible this summer, getting hitched so it would be nice for a special occasion.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM
rok

excellent tips,
if you could let us know where you get the convertible from Thrifty $164 for 6 days that'd be great