Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui Trip Report: Napili Kai, Old Lahaina Luau, Leilani's, Hula Grill, Marriott Wailea

Search

Maui Trip Report: Napili Kai, Old Lahaina Luau, Leilani's, Hula Grill, Marriott Wailea

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After four days in Oahu we flew Island Air to Kapalua/West Maui Airport. This is a prop plane seating about 40. The flight was fine, a little bumpy but on time. West Maui is just an airstrip and a bag claim and a phone bank- -no real airport services. We had arranged a rental car through Hertz at the Kapalua Villas. A Kapalua Villas van drove us to the concierge there, who rented us the car. We did this because we were returning to the Napili Kai, just south of Kapalua, and wanted to avoid having to rent and drive from Kahului. And, it worked well. We stopped at the Maui Tacos and then hit the grocery store there at the Napili Plaza, then went to check in at Napili Kai, where we were informed that the type of unit we had requested (confirmed days ago, and prepaid two nights) was not available due to a flood, so they had moved us to a larger but unaircondioned unit. It took alot of insisting, but finally we ended up in the type of unit we requested (1 BR OF Suite in Puna II or Puna Point) but with the need to change rooms after 3 nights. I was disappointed that they had not bothered to call us to discuss room availability when the flood occurred (middle aged women and unairconditioned condos in August never mix). Room was just as expected, same as it was four years ago. We had really been looking forward to returning because on our last stay, we had so enjoyed having a room right over the water, a great view any time of day or night, a lovely beach which was good for boogie boarding or snorkeling and not too crowded, a good onsite restaurant in the Sea House, and a two bathroom unit for what was then under $300/night. We knew that the room would still be furnished and finished out exactly as it had been in aroun 1970, and it was. We knew that we would have the little ants in the kitchen again, and we did (and more this time, requiring all food to be stored in frig). I had forgotten that there is no dishwasher. Anyway, all was well until a couple of other events took place, not really within management's control. There was a water main break for one full day. This led to the air conditioning going out as it is a water chilled system. And, on the morning or day 4, another guest hit our rental car in the parking lot. So, we checked out and went to the Marriott Wailea. Management handled the car wreck very well, and was attentive at the end, but during the water outage communication and services were lacking and I just think that the price/value relationship is not what it used to be. This time we paid rack rate, or $470. I think we would go back only if they updated.

Old Lahaina Luau was the best Luau we have been to out of three, as judged by the setting, entertainment, and food. My only complaint is that they seat you at tables of 8 and our kids aged 15 and 12 could not see because we were the back four and two of the front four were tall and did not seem to want to swing out a bit from the table. I just think that OLL should change to tiered pricing. All in all it was lovely, though.

We dined at Sea House for one dinner, one breakfast, and ordered cocktails once. Food and service were very good. This is not a gourmet restaurant to which serious foodies should flock after a 30 minute drive, but it is a great on site restaurant with a great view over a pretty beach. If we are in the Napili/Kapulua/Kaanapali area again, we will go back.

We will also go back to Leilani's and Hula Grill on Kaanapali Beach. They just get it right. Ditto Maui Taco's, which is just a counter service fast food taco/burrito place which makes good food. No atmosphere.

At the Marriott Wailea, they have redone the rooms and pools and restaurant. It really looks nice and the adults infinity pool is as nice as any Four Seasons pool area. Kids pool has three slides and the main pool is nice as well. There are two beaches and each is a short walk down the hill. One is very good for snorkeling. Our rooms were really nicely appointed and large. We only stayed there for 24 hours, so I didn't say anything, but if you're going for a longer stay, you wouldn't want our rooms, 1512 and 1514. They are right under the restaurant, so we heard lots of chair scooting at around 7 am, and they are right over the pool snack bar, so the balcony is railing is not all glass, which affects the view. However, if you've got a person in the group who doesn't get around well, these would be great as it was only a few steps to everything. Our only complaint about the Marriott is that food service is sssslllloooowww everywhere. Long wait for drinks ordered around the pool, long wait for food ordered at the pool snack bar, and long wait for food to come at Malo. I mean really long waits. I don't know if they are understaffing or what. Food at Malo was good.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Napili Kai was $470 per NIGHT?? Wow!
Seems very expensive for an older property with outdated unit. I'll put it on my "don't bother" list.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it had gone up alot. That is a rack rate for that season. It seems Napili Kai is always booked up. I think there are alot of people who book directly through the owners and get better rates, though, so you might try VRBO or something like that.

I really should have added that, at the end, management was very helpful. They offered a partial credit and it was posted right away. They sent us a letter of apology which we received right away. However, as you say, $470 a night does not really reflect the value received any more.
Old Aug 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Flying into Kaanapali is much nicer and easier if you're staying on the west side, but you'll pay for it.

I'd rather save a hundred bucks and drive for 45min to an hour.
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

We paid about $60 per ticket for Island Air Oahu-Kapaulua. I was thinking that it was about the same as the fare to Kahului when I bought. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM

"book directly through the owners"

Napili Kai is condos ? I thought it was a hotel.
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I know that at least some of the units are owned individually because a woman checking in next to me said she had rented "directly from the owner and already had a key" and also because we had to move rooms mid-stay because "the owner was coming in". I believe there are some regular hotel-like rooms, but most units are condos with kitchens, from studios up to 2BR. There is a restaurant and a concierge, which makes it a little like a hotel.

Someone said that the "owners" of the resort, a family, actually only had a long term ground lease, which may explain why the property is not being updated. I don't know....
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 08:34 AM

It's nice to know that the Hula Grill is still good. We wandered into it on our trip back in 2001 on a day that we were tired and didn't plan where we were going to eat. We ended up loving it. They even had a hula dancer at the bar area.