Maui trip report - adventures, restaurants, noelani, and more

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from my first trip to Maui. 10 of the best days ever! I think I'll divide this into categories rather than days.

RESTARAUNTS:
Pizza Paradiso
Aloha Mixed Plate
Hula Grill
Gazebo -- great place fror breakfast. Location is right on the water. Yummy banana mac nut pancakes.
Maui Tacos -- good food, resonable prices, salsa bar.
Sarentos -- maybe my favorite place ever. Awesome service, location, and food. The waiter addressed us by name. I had the Ahi (amazing) and the hubby had the tiger shrimp. We argued over who's food was better. The calamari appetizer was also awesome. Amazing place!
Charley's in Pa'ia
Kahuna Kabobs
Leilani's -- yummy food and drinks. Try the Lava Flow - it goes down very easy! Also their Hula Pie was killer.

We cooked a few meals for ourselves. Got groceries at the Safeway in Lahaina and got our fish at the Fish Market in Honokowai. Can't say enough about the Fish Market. Good quality fresh fish. The guys behind the counter will tell you what it tastes like, how to cook it, and what kind of marinade to use. Go to the Fish Market if you plan on cooking at home! We had marlin, ahi, walu, and opakapaka.

ACCOMADATIONS:
Noelani Condo Resort. Located btw Kaanapali and Kapalua in Honokowai. Great location if you like it a little quiter. Small resort -- maybe 50 or so units. We had a studio. Watched whales daily from our lanai. Also saw a lot of surfers as there is a small park next door. Two pools, jacuzzi, concierge that was very helpful. Only con is no sandy beach. We didn't mind.

ACTIVITIES:
Sunrise at Haleakala -- got up sooo early and it was sooo cold, but totally worthwhile. Most amazing sunrise I've ever seen. We then took a horseback ride into the crater with Pony Express. This trip was amazing. The landscape is out of this world -- it felt like we were on another planet. The ride took us to the craters basin, where we stopped and had lunch, then took the long trip back up. I was mesmorized by the colors and the beauty of the place.

West Maui coast hike -- Dragon's teeth, Nakalele blowhole, Olivine pools. Awesome!

Honolua Bay snorkelling -- cloudy near shore, but once we got out further the snorkelling was great. Saw a wide variety and a ton of fish.

Road to Hana -- narrow, curvy roads with one lane bridges. So beautiful. My favorite place was the end of Nahiku road. Jaw-dropping views, amazingly blue water. We went all the way around -- the road past Hana is way worse than the road to Hana. We made it though. Spent some time at Ohe'o Gulch. A great place for families and a great place if we had more time. Next trip we will definately spend a few nights in Hana.

Kayak/Snorkel trip -- used Maui Kayaks at the recommendation of Roxy (thanks roxy). Amazing trip. Our guide, Nitzan, was very good. I felt so safe with him and our small group. I felt bad for the people in the large groups. Maui Kayaks take a max of 8 people. The day was beautiful and the kayaking was fun. Saw a whale breech, loads of fish, and turtles. Tons of fun.

Boogie boarding -- we did this at Oneola beach. Lots of fun. Great beach -- not a lot of people there.

Ocean raft trip to Lana'i -- Took this tour with Sea Watch. Saw whales very close -- got a real good look at a baby. Saw a huge pod of spinner dolphins - very cool. Did snorkelling at Lana'i, checked out the Manele Resort (we had 3 hours to do whatever on Lana'i). While eating lunch we saw a mom and baby whale out in the bay. The baby was breeching and slapping it's tail against the water. Then the mom was slapping her tail -- it was if she was teaching him how to do it. Amazing.

This was a fun filled trip for us. We used Maui REvealed extensively. Many times I sat wondering if Maui is the best place on earth. The whales are amazing to watch. Can't wait to go back there someday.

Andi
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:10 AM

Aloha maslow!! So good to hear about your report. We are leaving next Tuesday!!!! So excited. We are staying at the Paki Maui which is right across the street from the fish market. We went there quite a few times last year, your right the service there and the fresh fish was almost better than going out. I have a couple of questions for you. Do they still have the farmers market across the street from the park? They did it 3 times a week last year and it was a great way to get really fresh fruit and other stuff. Also we are looking into a guided hike. Was your hike guided? If so who did you go with and did you like the company, or did you go on your own, and if so maybe you can give us a little guidance on how you got there and any other info on the hike. We have some info on Maui hiking safaris if anyone knows anything about it?? (I'll try a seperate post for that)Ok glad to hear about the whales too that is our highlight as we get oceanfront too and spend allot time just wathcing whales. Sooo excited
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Hi- What a great report. We leave for Maui in 18 days! Our past trips are so much like your trip report...from the restaraunts, Safeways and West Maui trip. We stay at the Whaler in a studio condo! Could you give me more information on where the Honokowai Fish Market is? Is it near the Star Market between Kaanapali and Kapalua? Is it everyday and what are the hours? We want to cook a few dinners that include fresh fish. Mahalo!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:33 AM

Cleo13- Could you give some information on where and what time the farmers market is? Is it close to the Fish Market? What are some of the fun things you are going to do on this trip in 7 days! Please remember to post a trip report when you return. I bet you are excited. Mahalo!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 09:34 AM

the farmers market was right across the street from the maui park in honokawai(sp)it's about a block away from the fish market the times were in the morning and I think the days were mon, wed,fri. In the center where the fish market is,is also a deli okazela something like that, they have awesome food for a really great price. I'll report when we get back about all the awesome stuff we do, we don't make to many plans kinda go along as we feel.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Thanks Cleo13 - You have the true Aloha Spirt! We never book anything in advance either! "TAKE FIVE" AND "HANG LOOSE BRAH" Have a great trip.. Cant wait to here from you... Will you be back before March 12th? Mahalo!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

The Fish Market is great -- located the next strip mall down from the Star Market one. They are open til 8pm on most days. The farmers market is down a little further next to Bad Ass Coffee. They are open M-W-F from 7-11. We bought fantastic pineapple and good mac nut pesto there.

We used Maui Revealed as our guide to hiking. It will tell you everything you need to know.

I'm happy to answer any more questions.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 03:03 PM

So glad to hear about the market!! Sorry riggsie (not really cause we'll still be there) we will still be there, going for 13 days I don't have that book and I think I am out of days off before we go, Maybe if I get a chance, I've heard so much about it. Oh maslow one more question where is Oneola Beach? Is it over on our side of the world? Alhoa!
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Cleo13- You have to get Maui Revealed before you go...it lists everything right down to the mile marker on the road. Without it we would have missed alot on the road to Hana and great snorkel spots. Great reading on the plane. If you get a chance try the Rusty Harpoon in Whalers Village on Kaanapali Beach. They have great stuffed shirmp and Ahi. We liked it better than the Hula Grill. Have a great trip and Mahalo to you and Maslow for all the information. I can taste the fresh pineapple and Ahi now!!!!
Maui No Ka 'Oi (Maui is the best)
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Cleo-- Oneola beach is up in Kapalua. If you get Maui Revealed you can read about how to get there. It's off of Office Road.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:03 PM

Looks like I have one more thing to get for my trip. I still have Monday off before we go. It's pouring rain almost snow here can't wait to warm my toes in the sand
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 05:40 PM

ok got the book!!!! Just looking at the pictures of the hike you did(maslow) is making me so excited!!!! Thanks for the push to get it(riggsie) I'll report when we get back Aloha!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:44 PM

Up with Roxy!!
Glad you enjoyed the Maui Kayaks trip.

Personally, using Maui Revealed, we found hiking on Maui to be pretty easy, no guide required. MR has some excellent directions and maps. We especially loved the Pipiwai Trail out to Waimoku Falls (across the street from the Seven Deadly Pools) which is well maintained and a playground of falls/pools, vistas, and bamboo. The Four Falls of Na'ili'ili-haele, one of the first stops on the road to hana, was also a lot of fun, although not as easy a hike--muddy, jungly, boulder-hoppy, but SO worth it, and hard to get lost or anything. We also hiked to the Olivine Pools, which is a pretty easy, though rocky and dusty, hike. The view when the pools first rise up from the horizon is amazing, and the pools are a blast, complete with blowhole.

Happy to answer any other questions!

love
roxy
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Hello Maslow, Great trip report, thanks. We leave in 9 days for Maui!! Our first time also. Only staying 7 days (2 travel). Is it possible to do Road to Hana in 1 day, Haleakala and Upcountry 1 day??? Also, how cold was it at sunrise? Thanks for any replies.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:23 PM
AliHsu

Where exactly is Dragon Teeth and how do you get there? I thought I was there and took a bunch of pictures, but someone told me I wasn't at the right place.

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

We didn't "do" any of Upcountry other than Haleakala. It is COLD for sunrise. Wear everything warm you have, hat, mittens, a blanket if you have one. The wind blows like crazy up there. We did the Road to Hana in one day -- next time we go we'll stay in Hana a few nights so we have more time.
Dragon's teeth is in Kapalua. Park where Lower road meets Office Road and walk along the golf course towards shore.