Maui snorkeling with kids where?

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui snorkeling with kids where?

Hi- we will be in Maui first week of August- kids ages 6,7, & 10. What are the best spots to snorkel with kids. Also, do you suggest Life Vests for extra saftey? We would like some off shore places we could access ourselves, and would also like to take one snorkeling tour. Can you recommend a kid friendly tour (reasonable price)- also is Molokini worth th trip and expense? Thanks for response!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM

From shore:

Ulua Beach in Wailea
Black Rock in Kaanapali

Four Winds II was great for us and our kids. It was more than just snorkeling though, it's the whole trip. The captain lets the little kids drive the boat while he makes the rounds and talks to all the passengers. He's a hoot! The BBQ is terrific and the trip back is fun as the captain points out all the turtles. Since reasonable, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder I can not say if it is reasonable for you. I can say it was really fun for us with our kids, 8 & 12, unless they were 7 & 11, why can't I remember which it was? Anyway have a great vacation and if your kids are not strong swimmers have them wear a life vest. If they are strong swimmers have them wear rash shirts so they don't get sunburned while snorkeling. You will be snorkeling alongside them so you can be the best judge regarding the life vest.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Ag3046

Makena Beach - the snorkel tours go to Turtle Town which is the south end of Makena. Also Kapalua bay is nice and easy, Black Rock at north end of Kanapaali. I'm assuming when you say "off shore" you mean places you can swim to from a beach, as in swim off the shore. When I think of "off shore", I think of something like a mile off the shore that you can't swim to. I think there are lots of life vests that are reasonable for kids. They can easily get suddenly tired out or cold and it would just be an added level of safety. Make sure they also have sun protection, like rash guards. The kids will look cool, like surfers if they wear rash guards.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:44 PM

Kahekili Beach and Kapalua Beach in West Maui are both good for kids. In South Maui I thought Po'olenalena Beach was heavenly.

We booked our Molokini Trip with Four Winds. I really enjoyed the trip but found the shore snorkeling in Maui to be superior in terms of fish and coral.

We used Tom Barefoot to book all of our tours. We were very pleased with their prices and recommendations on tour companies.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:48 PM
trippinkpj

I liked the Makena beach snorkel spot. My kids did well there on an August trip (they were 10 and 15 at the time). We didn't do the Molokini trip, although I have friends that did it with their then 8 yr. old and said it was great.

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM
amaclise

Makena Beach - I have seen the sea turtles every time I've snokeled there.

Have your kids wear surf shoes because they can get easily cut on the lava at Makena. Don't know about the life vests depends on how well they can swim and if they want to dive down.