Banking in the US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:22 AM
gpm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banking in the US

Hello,
I live in Manhattan but I am moving out from the US in a few days. I would like to leave a bank account opened here.
I have an account at Chase, but would like to know your opinion about closing it and opening a new one at Bank of America, due to its positions nationwide. What do you think?
Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Try looking at www.bankrate.com

It is a very informative site and may be better suited to answer your question.

Also, try contacting B of A to have them address any concerns you have.

Debi
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM
LT

gpm:

You might want to check with Citibank. I know that when I was in Poland, I was surprised to see a Citibank branch in Katowice. Another bank you might want to check is HSBC. They seem to have branches all over the world.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Bank of America is great as long as you don't incur any of their "surprise" fees, such as those when you use a BA debit card at ANY A.T.M. in Spain.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Chase also is pretty much nationwide since they bought Bank One. I have an account at a bank that became Bank One, then Chase. I've been able to access it at branches in several states and through their ATM network.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Chase may have bought Bank One, but they have not yet fully merged their systems. For example, I can use my ATM card--I was originally a Bank One account--in New York, but I can't cash a check, or make a deposit. In fact, you can't make a deposit with the ATM card, either, just get cash.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:21 AM
J62

I find the hassle of changing direct deposit, bill pay, etc not worth the effort of changing banks, so I've kept my primary bank each time I've moved.

I've been with BofA for >15yrs. Started out in their home territory (where my account still 'resides'), moved to a new place just before they merged with NationsBank, then once again to Fleet territory).

I do have a local credit union acct with branches and ATMs inside the bldg I work in as well.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Look at USAA Federal Savings Bank. While their insurance is only for military and dependents, anyone can use their financial services. The bank is in San Antonio but works well worldwide because so many military use it. I love their online banking. They also rebate your ATM fees each month up to $18 (I think) because they don't have banks anywhere except San Antonio. User satisfaction is extremely high on review sites.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:11 AM

HSBC has banks worldwide.

Call toll free 1 877 850 4722 in North America for more information.

Where are you moving to?

Sandy
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 01:13 PM
gpm
Original Poster

I am moving to Brazil. Actually,my main interest is not using it there, but keeping an account here for future trips to US. Also, I would like an account which good fees for ATM use in Europe. I asked BofA and Chase about their ATM fees in Europe, with many different answers. What are actually the real fees and the exchange rate I will get there, with a BofA or Chase card?
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM
sandi

gpm -

If you're in Manhattan get over to a Commerce Bank and put your money there. There are no ATM withdrawal fees for withdrawals in foreign countries. Locally, if you use their ATMs, of course, no fees; if other ATMs and you have, I believe, $2,500 or $5,000 in your account they refund any fees. Their service is great with so many things for free. They're open 7/days till 8pm (5pm on Sunday). They're one of the busiest banks in town... seems everyone is moving their accounts here. But be sure to ask all pertinent questions regarding your situation and access while in Brazil.