Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Staying in Kaanapali with 13 yr. old/ which snorkel trip to take - Trilogy or Four Winds, Lanai or Molokini?

Staying in Kaanapali with 13 yr. old/ which snorkel trip to take - Trilogy or Four Winds, Lanai or Molokini?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Maui with my 13 yr. old daughter for one week in late March, staying at the Westin in Kaanapli. I'd like to do one snorkel trip, and am having trouble trying to decide which trip to take. Have read various posts, guidebooks, etc. and narrowed the choices to Four Winds or Trilogy but not sure if Molokini or Lanai would be better this time of year. Also am a little apprehensive about getting up super early to drive to Maalea by 6:30 if I want to go to Molokini. Would it be less stressful to do the Trilogy Lanai Sunset trip as it leaves later from Lahaina, closer to my hotel? Also, is the water warm enough to go in without a wetsuit in both locations? Would really appreciate hearing from people who have been on any of these excursions, especially around this time of year. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:37 AM

We just came back from Oahu and the water was a bit chilly. You are staying in a great place to do beach snorkeling and the water is shallow therefore a bit warmer than it would be on the boats. I liked the beach snorkeling better than Molokini - saw more at the beach than the other and would suggest that you not worry about booking it until you get there - should not be a problem to still get booked in . That way you can check out the water and see what the weather is like. You are right that the one to Lanai is closer but if it is a sunset trip it is probably not a snorkel trip. I would also check when you get there - there are usually morning and afternoon trips for snorkeling which might help.

When we were in Maui we went to a different beach every day. One of the locals told us that the best way to find a beach is to watch for parked cars along the road. We found an excellent beach that way - turned out to be our favorite snorkel beach. went there one morning and saw a pod of over 150 spinner dolphins - amazing experience. The fish at your resort have been fed and are very friendly - your daughter will love that. Good luck and like I said before - book after you get there and see what else is available and what the temp of the water actually will be. I prefer the water at 80 or more to be in for an extended period of time - don;t know if that helps or not. It was in the 70' s last week in Oahu. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM

We've been with Trilogy twice. Once to Molokini and once to another location (can't remember the name of where we went, but it was the Discover Kaanapali sail that picks up right on Kaanapali beach). Since you're staying at the Westin, I'd suggest the morning Discover Kaanapali sail because of its convenience. It was a nice half day excursion. The crew on the Trilogy boats are terrific.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM

My favorite snorkel dive was put on by Pacific Whale Foundation. the foundation studies whales and dolphins in Hawaii and some of the proceeds of your expedition go to funding research and preservation. Plus it has an incredibly knowledgable staff. Finally, myself, wife and toddler had a GREAT time. In addition, if you are staying in Kaanapali, there is great free snorkeling at Black Rock out by the Sheraton. I saw about a half dozen giant turtles in about a 45 minute period. Congrats on your trip. You will have a great time.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM

My DH and I loved Trilogy to Lanai but there were no kids on our trip. When we took the kids to Maui we did Four Winds. It was November but before the Thanksgiving holiday so not too many people on board. There were kids though and they were all having fun. The captain is especially nice to the kids and lets them steer the boat while he socializes with the guests. My kids still talk about that trip. It was a great family adventure. I would recommend it.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Sherrie, I think Trilogy's Discover Kaanapali might be the right one for us. I've also learned that there is also a snorkel/sail company called Gemini that picks up right in front of the Westin. Am curious if you or anyone else has heard about Gemini. To avoid the hassle of an early AM drive to Lahaina (or worse, Maalaea) I'm inclined to just catch a boat in front of the hotel in Kaanapali, so long as the snorkeling and boat service are good. Again, thanks for your help.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Rdpesq and Suzie,
How funny - we must have all be typing at the same time as I didn't see your replies before I hit "post reply". Thanks for your comments. As bcirish and rdpesq indicated, I plan to snorkel by the beach as well but thought it would be fun to do a sail/snorkel as well. Suzie, did you do the 6:15 am (YIKES) or 10 am Trilogy to Lanai trip? I've heard that mornings are better for snorkel excursions but really dread getting up in the predawn hours and trying to find the right place in the morning by myself. Hence, ny current thinking is I should go for the easiest Kaanapali boat..
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:37 PM

When you leave the mainland for HI getting up early is no problem. I was up super early every day and we are in CA. I imagine is you are further east you will find youself up and ready to go pretty early.

Yes we went on the early one. They served the yummiest cinnamon rolls and coffee. It was a great time to meet and great the other guests too. We ended up making friends with another couple and stopped for drinks in Lahaina after the sail back. Later in the week we had dinner with them. (They were trying to escape having all their meals with his folks!) Fun fun couple!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM

socalfam: We did the AM Trilogy Discover Kaanapali snorkle trip. We were up early (East Coast residents), had breakfast and walked down to the site where the boat will pick you up at around 8:00 a.m. I think. We stayed next to the Westin at the Kaanapali Alii so this location was perfect for us. Our stay was in June and there were numerous kids on our trip ranging in ages. Our 13YO son had a great time. Trilogy serves a terrific lunch and if time permits, actually goes to two snorkle sites. They try to make the trip back by sail (they cut the engines) which is fun. I'm sorry, I don't know anything about Gemini.