Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui + Rusty Harpoon Restaurant (or others)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Marilyn

We wil be travelling to Maui at Christmas with our three kids - ages 15, 21, and 24, and are looking for places that they would enjoy eating at. I have seen the Rusty Harpoon mentioned in several postings. Can anyone tell me anything about this restaurant? We will be looking for reasonably-priced restaurants in the Kaanapali area, preferably on or near the beach, with a relaxed atmosphere. Also interested in the same thing in the Lahaina area. Thanks so much for your input. Marilyn

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Scott

Marilyn,

The Rusty Harpoon, would be fine for the little ones, their were certainly zillions of them when we were there for Breakfast. It is very casual...There is also a food court in the Whalers Village (where Rusty Harpoon is located) that may be good for relatively inexpensive bites on the go...

Enjoy.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Bonnie

Marilyn,
The Rusty Harpoon is sports bar where all the men are there at very early hours 6AM and on to watch all games that are playing on the mainland at regular games. They are even drinking at this time. We found it disgusting to see people drinking at this time of the morning. Even the locals told us the food is not up to par and not to eat there. They have a happy hour that starts around 3 PM and goes on and on. A better bet for your family would be the Hula Grill or Leilani's right in Whalers Village and they are reasonably priced. For that matter they have McDonalds and Pizza Paradiso there also. You can also go right up the street past the Hyatt and go to Luigi's italian restaurant. It's a little more expensive but the food is great.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Ken

Amazing that Bonnie was disgusted by men watching sports and drinking at 6 am, considering that the Rusty Harpoon does not open until 8 am.

She also points out that the Hula Grill and Leilani's are right in Whaler's Village but she doesn't point out that The Rusty Harpoon is also in Whaler's Village. All three are within 200 feet of each other. All three are great. Try them all and decide which one you prefer.

She also doesn't mention that in addition to the bar in the Rusty Harpoon (where there are usually 6 or 8 people, some of whom may be watching sports), there is also a beautiful oprn air dining room overlooking Kaanapali Beach and the Pacific. I don't think Bonnie likes sports or drinking. Cheers Bonnie !!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Bonnie

Ken,
I beg to differ with you. When it is football season the Rusty Harpoon DOES open that early. I have been there to witness this. If pre-game is 12:30 on the east coast what time do they have to open to show a live game? You walk by and here screaming and yelling. I know it is this early because I walk over to Kimo Bean to get my coffee at 7:00 AM and they are already open. 6-8 people ken? Puleeeze! I come from New England. We have the Patriots, we have the Celtics and we have the Red Sox. Yes, I do like sports and I do drink. What I don't care for is abunch of slobbering people yelling from a bar that early in the morning, but to each his own. You seemed to take this personally Ken. Do you own the Rusty Harpoon? Well guess what, even the locals say not to eat there. I still say this is not a place for children. I am entitled to my opinion and so are you. Cheers back to you Ken!

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Ken

Of course I take it personally. I am one of the slobbering early morning drunks !!

PS You forgot the Bruins !!