Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has any one tried the Tropica at the Westin Maui

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Kitty

We are going in 4 weeks for a destination wedding and was wondering about the resturant Tropica which is to be new and great food?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Abby

Don't expect too much. I feel that it is way overpriced for what you get. It looks like it was never finished. It does not belong on Maui. The food is so-so. Don't order the pork dish or the free range chicken.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:26 AM
jj

We considered it several nights but always walked by and continued to whalers village. I would definitely recomended Hula Grill. They have a more formal area and a casual area called the Barefoot bar. Tables are actually on sand. Right on the beach with live entertainment.
The Whalers village is right next to the Westin.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:15 AM
J

We did their Sunday champagne brunch which I thought was very good. A little expensive, but not really out of line for what we got: A great view, an expansive buffet with a variety of foods, and good service.

Never been there for dinner. Sorry.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:19 AM
dejahma

We tried to eat there last Jan. in the evening. It was the only restuarant without a line. As we were entering we met a couple leaving. They stopped at the desk and told the woman there that they were leaving because they had waited and waited but no one came to take drink orders, offer water or even give them menus. She apologized to them and then led us to our seats. Where we waited and waited and waited and no one come to take drink orders, offer water or even give us a menu. The place was empty the servers were chatting amongst themselves, the hotess was standing at the desk staring off into space. We left them to themselves. There's always a reason why a place isn't busy.