Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui or Kauai which is better for a honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Maui for an 8 day honeymoon. We enjoy beaches, hiking, zip lines, kayaking, but mainly just relaxing and seeing the sights. We would prefer less tourist type areas and a friend recommended Kauai. What's the best and which beaches do you stay on North, South, West? Any suggestions on beautiful places to stay (or 'deals' on these beautiful places to stay would be great too) and whether we should spend more time in Kauai or Maui would be appreciated. We will be there in early July 2009.

Lastly, what are the 'must see' things we need to ensure we take in while over there. Thank you.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM

With 8 days I would pick one island only. I would stick with Maui.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM

I went to a Destination wedding on Kauai 2 years ago. It was beautiful. It has everything you mentioned. Am hoping to bring my husband there one day soon. I have never been to Maui but have heard its more flashy and touristy and city like. there is an 11 mile hike in Kauai that starts in the mountains and ends on a secluded beach called the Kalalau trail. Stunning. We stayed on the West end of the Island, more laidback and quiet. but the island isnt that big. It was a 40 minute drive to the other end where the airport is.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

If you want laid back and less touristy then Kauai is the island for you. Also,In my opinion Kauai provides for more of the activities you mentiones such as hiking, Kayaking up the river and lush scenery.We prefer the Poipu area but the north side is also very popular.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:19 AM

For Maui, look at Hotel Hana in the east, if you want real seclusion, or Wailea (south) if you want more contact with others.

Most folks believe that the north shore of Kauai is the prettiest part of the island. Not aware of any true development in the west (besides Barking Sands).

Enjoy your honeymoon.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would stick with Maui. It is most definitely not all flash or touristy or city like. I'm not sure where that description would have come from. I know Kauai is less developed overall. But you can find the best of both on Maui, peace & quiet, but also some options of lots of things to see and do, Haleakala, Lahaina town, road to Hana, even shopping and shows (lahaina). Maui has more options imho.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM

I've been to Maui, Kauai and Honolulu as well as other islands all over the world and so far, Maui is my absolute favorite. In comparing the two you're debating I'll say that Maui seemed to have much more to do than Kauai. We like to get out and go when we travel and we found that there were tons of activities and sites in Maui. Kauai is known for being a bit quieter and more relaxing (and subsequently kind of boring in my opinion). And as for being too tourist-oriented and busy/crowded, we didn't feel overwhelmed by tourists at all in Maui. I think it has alot to do with where you stay on the island. We were in a condo off the beaten path near Wailea. Both have great beaches, but I think Maui has better snorkeling (from what I remember). If you chose Maui your travel agent will point out the highlights I'm sure, but you mustn't miss the Road to Hana - breathtaking.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM

I agree that 8 days is too short to do two islands. The most spectacular hiking, ziplines and river kayaking are in Kauai. (Maui has no rivers). Kauai is also lusher, quieter, more rural, and has more spectacular scenery than Maui. An incredibly romantic place to stay on Kauai is the Hyatt on the south end. Check out their website. People who are drawn to more shopping, more restaurant selection, and more touristy stuff would prefer Maui. For more details on Kauai the most recommended guide book is The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook by Doughty. The helicopter tour of Kauai is an incredible experience.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM

I'm not sure if this is "touristy stuff" or not, but Maui also offers more opportunities for things like dinner theater (Feast of Lele), shows (U'lalena), luau (Old Lahaina), historic walking tour if Lahaina (it was the original capitol city of the islands where the King & Queen at the time lived), etc.

Kauai's attractions are more of the natural variety, and a bit more driving is required to see things there.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM

The North side of Kauai seems ideal for a romantic Honeymoon.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

We just returned from several nights at the Hotel Hana Maui over in Hana and I can't think of a better place to spend some of your honeymoon. 5 nights in Wailea or Makena, then end it in Hana for 2 or 3 nights. There are outdoor activities galore and the beauty of his area is hard to match anywhere.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

I have never been to Maui but have heard its more flashy and touristy and city like.

I'm with Suze. This sounds like advice from someone who has never been there.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Hi - we went to both for our honeymoon. We much preferred Kauai for exactly the reasons you may like it - quieter, much more "natural" beauty around the hotel (instead of other high rise hotels), and lots to do in terms of hiking/heli rides/kayaking, etc. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai and loved it - we chose it for access to golf and deals which gave us a room with a better view than we would have gotten at the Princeville (on the northern part of the island). As far as I know these are two of the more luxurious hotels on the island, but I can't speak for them all! It was quite a large property, very spread out and beautifully designed to not look as "hotel-like". One downside to consider is that the beach here is not usually swimmable due to dangerous currents - in Princeville, I understand this not to be the case. With its huge winding swimming pools and lagoon we didn't miss it, but just to note. Spa is great, and service was friendly and fantasic, very very helpful in scheduling/rearranging activities, particularly when we changed our second honeymoon destination partway through the trip. Great clubhouse and golf facilities. Food also great onsite, especially for a chain hotel. Also highly recommend a helicopter tour to see the northern and central parts of the island not reachable by car - it is stunning.

We found Maui to be much more touristy, with more to do as far as entertainment, but less to see in terms of the island without driving a fair bit out of the hotel zone. Obviously both islands have lots of visitors, but Maui's hotels (in Kaanapali area anyway) are quite close together and they dot the horizon line, instead of just seeing beach and cliffs like at the Hyatt in Kauai. We stayed at the Sheraton Black Rock which was at the end of the beach, helped a lot since the property was quite a bit more expansive than the other high rises nearby. Also had snorkeling on site which was nice. I am not sure I would return there for a honeymoon though as the rooms and restaurants are not as nice (we booked the day before instead of continuing on to Japan, so we didn't have much of a choice). Also seemed even more family oriented than other hotels in Hawaii, which maybe is not idea for a honeymoon. (I.e. at night there is no place onsite to have a drink after dinner, except for the breakfast area reconverted into a "lounge")

Maui had a lot more nightlife - bars/restaurants in Lahaina were cute and right on the water, but we were practically harrassed by time-share sellers and/or people trying to sell activities to the locally docked cruise ships.

I would look into Wailea - which I have heard is also touristy, but the hotels seem more upscale and perhaps the beach more private (I haven't been there, but this is info from other honeymooning friends). Also we drove through a Ritz Carlton which was north of Kanapali and seemed beautiful in Kapalua - not in a main tourist area, but had a huge pool and beachfront as well.

My cousin also booked some time at Lanai, very near to Maui, for her honeymoon next month. It looks more private - I believe there are only 4 resorts on the property.

Hope this helps - if you have hotels you are considering, let us know!
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Sorry but I have a hard time taking advice about an island, from someone who has never even been there (lol)!!

Even the more "touristy" islands of Oahu and Maui, that is centralized around just a few towns (Waikiki, Lahaina, certain resort mega-developments). If you have a rental car and get out around the island there is PLENTY of unspoiled landscape on each of those islands. To say an entire ISLAND is "too touristy" just shows you have not really seen it all.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM

I want to know what "touristy" means?

At least she didn't say that Maui was just like California. LOL!
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Lana`i is a separate island across the channel from Maui. It is beautiful and secluded.

I understand that the Princeville Hotel was undergoing renovations. The Hyatt is in the southern part of Kaua`i and the facility is beautiful. However, Poipu is rather barren, and, that's the attraction-it rarely rains there (like Wailea, Maui).
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM

Recommend scanning several Fodor Hawaiian posts and you'll see the regulars all have their favorite islands and features. I suggest you read guidebooks first for a general overview to match YOUR interests, then read the varied helpful advice on this forum.
I'm a longtime island visitor who first honeymooned in Oahu before they 'paved paradise' so we moved on to Maui. Yet we still revisit Oahu-lots to offer-BUT be prepared for a freeway drive through a big city to find all the island highlights and Waikiki is fun but can be very hectic compared to the outer islands! We loved Maui's early days with its beautiful stretches of sandy beach until we finally had enough of the burgeoning strip malls, high prices and developments YET Maui remains a grand popular island with great amenities/restaurants/resorts and wonderful tropical/upland areas to discover. We still want to visit the Big Island but Kauai had us at hello in 1997! We felt we had returned to the old Hawaii of our youth. It's a small, lush, more rural and laid-back island with many contrasts, lots of beaches but many hidden between rocky outcroppings or at the end of trails-truly an island of discovery!
Have a great visit whatever you choose!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Kauai has those palm trees that you dream of when you think about a Polynesian paradise. It has Waimea Canyon, which Mark Twain called the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific." It is the best place to take a helicopter ride. The Na Pali Coast, has 3,000-foot cliffs, which can be seen only via a helicopter flight or on a catamaran day cruise. There are all kinds of activities and tours.

Kauai is called the “Garden Island" because 97% of its land is undeveloped mountains and rainforests. Local codes prohibit buildings over four stories, so you don't see any highrises.
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM

Kauai is my recommendation. I visit often and just returned from a great 2 week stay at the Marriott Kauai Beach Club in Lihue (5 mins from the airport) and perfectly located to venture North or south. They have 1 and 2 bedroom oceanfront
villas (highly recommend). Get a convertible. Buy the book
the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (Andrew Doughty) and you won't be disappointed. By far, the most Romantic and Scenic Island.
So many beautiful beaches, hiking trails, drive up waterfalls,
friendly kauaians and lots of roosters!!
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Ditto on the Andrew Doughty guidebooks - they are great! A bit less helpful with Maui (seems to have more online for Maui than Kauai) but still great, wish he could do them for other destinations

To clarify from my earlier post, when I said "toursity" I meant the high rise hotels, hundreds of commission-paid people trying to sell us activities, lots of cheap jewelry shops where the cruise ships disembark, etc. Outside of Lahaina the island is beautiful - but if you are staying in one of the major hotel zones you may not have as private a time as in Kauai.

On the knot dot com there is a Hawaii expert who frequents the honeymoon boards - her posts helped me decide for my own trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -