maui/kauai or kauai/lanai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my travel agent is recommending the hyatt in both maui and kauai for our 10 day honeymoon in late sept. i heard maui can be rather touristy/crowded, so my buddy's telling me to forget maui and go to kauai and lanai instead.

my better half and i want great beaches, dinners, tennis, no overcrowding, and occasional touring. we're both in our early thirties.

1) are the hyatts good hotels?
2) what are your thoughts on lanai vs. maui...i don't know what to expect?

thank you in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:09 PM

I have been to both Kauai and Maui. I have stayed at the Hyatt, Kauai. The rooms are small. The pools and the Anara Spa in the Hyatt, Kauai is outstanding! Kauai is very laid back- even more laid back in the Princeville area of Kauai. Very tropical and wonderful. Maui is fantastic too. We did not stay at the Hyatt there. However, the Hyatt is in the Kaanapali area which is where we stayed. It is very crowded there. The Wailea area is fantastic and less crowded. Nicer beaches too. We did 10 nights in Kauai and 7 in Maui. It was a nice contrast. Kauai is very tropical and Maui has a tropical side and a desert side. The sun rise on Haleakala is awesome. Both have fantastic resteraunts. I have not been to Lani- however a relative of mine has and said it was even more remote than Kauai and did not like it. Not a lot to do. I hope this helps. Aloha!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:29 AM

I don't think Maui will be all that crowded in late September. The Wailea area might be a better choice for you, but we have loved the Hyatt on Kaanapali also. It has lovely grounds and is at one end of the Kaanapali strip so it seems a little more secluded.

We visited Lanai on a day trip. I would not personally want to stay there because there just isn't enough to do (and we don't golf). There's a reason that Haleakala, the road to Hana, Iao Valley State Monumnet, etc. on Maui attract tourists - they're fantastic.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Do NOT miss Maui! I've been to Lanai and would not go back. I'll be making my 5th trip to Maui and my 3rd trip to Kauai this summer. You can do a day trip with Trilogy catamarans from Maui to Lanai if you want to see the highlights and snorkel there...
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:06 AM

Another area of Maui to consider that's not as crowded as Kaanapali would be Kapalua (about 20 minutes north). The Kapalua Bay hotel and Ritz Carlton are located here.

I've only visited Lanai on a day trip and probably wouldn't choose to stay on the island but that's just me. If you're looking for a quiet place to relax with nice beaches, it's perfect. But there's not much to do and the island is very arid, not lush.

The two top resorts on Kauai are the Hyatt and Princeville. I have only stayed at the Hyatt. I enjoyed it but it is a very big resort. Princeville is probably more secluded although late September is pretty quiet in general. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Stayed at the Hyatt Kauai for our honeymoon. THe rooms are okay- the grounds are great the pool is great, the breakfast buffet is good with an outstanding view. Every morning we were up before the sun eating breakfst and were able to watch the sun come up while eating in the open air restaurant. They have a great terrrace to have drinks on and to take in the ocean views.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:26 AM

I forgot- on hotel alone, I would recommend the Hyatt over Princeville. The Hyatt has a much more tropical / Hawaiian feel.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:00 PM

DO NOT MISS MAUI!! Wailea is incredible!
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 04:48 PM
gyppielou

Is there a reason to stay at Hyatt? I have been to all three islands and love them all. North Shore in Kauai in September, Lodge over Manele on Lanai, Wailea or Kapalua over Kaanapalli, to avoid too much tourism, and at least a night in Hana...so with just 10 days?nights?, depending where you're coming from, 3 nights at the Lodge and then 7 in Kauai would be remote and wonderful. Or Maui and Lanai, or Maui including a stay in Hana. There is much to explore on all islands with a little work. We spent 4 nights in Lanai and loved it, rent a jeep, horsebackriding, snorkling..the Lodge is a special place. Good luck, there is no wrong choice. Hana, Napali, Lanai, everything is magic.....

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

These postings have been very helpful, thank you. i think we're going to forego lanai and head to both maui/kauai and stay at the hyatts.

Thanks from Chicago.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 07:05 AM

One more vote for Maui and the Wailea area...if you want one of, if not the best, (definitely best weather-wise) places to stay (the other being Kapalua) then Wailea is the place to stay. September is a great time...definitely not crowded...depending on the dates of your stay you might want to consider flying over to Oahu for the Aloha Parade. (Until after 9/11/01 CBS used to show the Aloha Parade as part of its Thanksgiving Parade coverage.)
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Dear Seabiscuit,
Opinions are like bottoms - everybody had one! You will have a wonderful time with the decisions you've made. Kaanapali is a fun place to be. From there you can explore the entire island. I feel certain you'll love Kauai as well...
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:51 AM

I meant to say - everybody HAS one. Ha!