Maui Kai

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Kai

My family just returned from ten days at the Maui Kai. While it is an older condo unit, we were very satisfied with our stay. All units directly face the ocean. Daily maid service is provided. All units are equipped with full service kitchen, DVD, CD Cable, irons, etc. We rented a two bedroom unit Rm 601/602. Rm 601 is a corner unit and it was nice having windows on three sides of the unit. It was nicely furnished and very comfortable. The bathrooms are functional and clean. Nothing fancy, however. The pool and cabana is located behind the building. This can be a plus after a full day at the beach. It includes two large gas grills, a complete kitchen and a pool table. We grilled dinner one evening and we're the only ones using the entire pool area! Music filled the air from the Embassy Suites next door. It was wonderful. The Maui Kai is an affordable ocean-front alternative in Maui. We enjoyed our stay tremendously!

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Thanks for posting, carbogilligan. We are headed to Maui Kai for a week this winter and it was nice to read your description. How was the beach in front of the condo?
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

There really isn't a beach directly in front of the hotel. The tide comes pretty close. There is a walkway across the front of the building with steps that lead down to the sand when its low tide, and steps on the side that lead to a large beach in front of the Embassy Suites. Just another note, not all units have a traditional "lanai". Its a bit misleading. Our unit in 601 had its living room extended all the way to large sliding glass WINDOWS with a banister. You get the feel you are outside but you really aren't. Unit 602 had a traditional lanai totally open to the view. From the studio, you walk thru a sliding glass DOOR to get to the lanai. Being 6 floors up, we preferred the view from the living room area. We also have a five year old so height was a concern. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks again for the info-we are renting a studio unit #306 directly from the owners: http://mauikai.us/
It is one with the livingroom extended and sliding glass windows. Was the beach in front of the Embassy Suites good for swimming or snorkeling? Is there a restaurant at the E.S.? What else is within walking distance? (we will have a car but I'm just curious as to what is nearby). Also, any highlights of your trip that you'd like to share-I always love reading trip reports!!
Thanks again,
Laurie
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Laurie......the beach in front of the Embassy suites is good for swimming. Favorite snorkeling beaches are Black Rock, south of Maui Kai or Napili Bay, north of Maui Kai. You definitely need to drive to Napili Bay. Napili Bay has a great restuarant, the Sea house. They have an outdoor area, suitable for swimming suits for lunch! Walking distance from Maui Kai is a shopping village with a Star Market, grocery store and several other stores and restaurants. To the north is a great deli and farmer's market, open everyday. The Embassy Suites also has an outdoor restaurant/bar that provides another convenient option. We also went to Sands of Mahana, a great resturant on the beach. It serves breakfast until 2 p.m.! Lunch begins at 11 so people have a choice. Its north of the Maui Kai too! Not very expensive either.
Again, ask away while the memory is fresh!
Carole
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:29 PM

carbogilligan: Glad to hear this great report about the Maui Kai. I have been staying there for 20+ years and it feels like home. I have never been dissapointed. They have a lot more to offer than a standard hotel room. I stay in unit #402 and it has the traditional lanai but it is carpeted with that indoor/outdoor carpet so you have the comfort of indoors on your bare feet but you are still outside. They also have an ice chest, beach mats, blender, toaster, microwave, oven/stove and the best part is a full sized refridgerator. Very handy if you are staying several days.

2sweets: The Embassy Suites has a traditional resturaunt, a buffet and an outdoor bar that serves snacks that can easily be a meal. Great onion rings there too.