Search

Maui Hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Hotels

I have been looking at hotel rates for October in Maui. The rates at the Ritz seem very reasonable and are actually cheaper than the Westin. Does anyone have any inside scoop on why? Is it a "lesser" Ritz? Is it inconveniently located?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM
pjv

There is a Ritz Carlton on the West Coast, much further north of Kanapali area, so it is a little remote. I can't remember the name of the town, but it is before the road gets bad. We looked at the grounds and pool and it looked very nice.
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:38 AM

The Ritz is nice enough but set back from the beach up a hill. The water at the beach is usually too rough for snorkeling or decent swimming. Check out Kapalua Bay Hotel nearby, but on a nice, calm snorkeling beach.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM

The Ritz is a beautiful property, not at all a "lesser" Ritz. It is located in the Kapalua resort area whereas the Westin is in Kaanapali. Kapalua is about seven miles north of Kaanapali. I personally prefer Kaanapali because there is more going on, walking distance to a number of restaurants and more dependable weather. Many people love Kapalua - it is a very scenic area with nice beaches and great golf courses. However, it does feel a bit isolated to us and we also found the weather there consistently cooler, cloudier, and windier than Kaanapali. On the other side I think the Ritz is a nicer hotel than the Westin.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM

if u're going on your honeymoon, then the ritz seem like the place to be as you may want alot of alone time with your spouse. if u're going with friends, then the kaanapali area is definitely more desirable.
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:07 PM

Frommer's describes this Ritz Carlton as the best RC in the world.