Search

Kapalua, Wailea or Ka'anpali

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kapalua, Wailea or Ka'anpali

Hi!
My fiance and I are desperately trying to finalize our honeymoon to Maui, and we're torn on where to stay. We've heard good things about Kapalua, Wailea and Ka'anpali, and we're not really sure which part of the island to choose (I know they are relatively close to one another).

We're looking for a romantic view, with great snorkeling and hiknig opportunities. Seclusion is great, but we'd also like to be close to a bit of upscale nightlife. We'll be renting a convertible so we are able to get a round relatively easily.

The hotels we've been quoted:
Kapalua Bay
Ritz-Carlton
Hyatt Regency
Four Seasons at Wailea

Which of these is the best hotel, and which reason would you prefer to stay in and why? Thank you so much!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Oops...I meant which region would you prefer to stay in and why? Typing not the best this morning...
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:43 AM
jja

I would do the Hyatt. Kaanapali is my favorite area since you can walk to most activities. Whalers village is about a 1/2 mile walk with several great restaurants and shopping. Hyatt is on the very southern part of Kaanapali and gets less trafic due to it's location. Restaurants are good at the Hyatt but prefer the Plantation House (Kapalua) for the views.
Great Snorkeling at black rock (less then 1 mile walk). Kapalua and Wailea both have great snorkeling as well.

If you want seclusion choose Kapalua. There are pluses and minuses to the 2 hotels you listed. I would probably go with Kapalua Bay due to it's location near the beach. Both hotels will give you discounted prices to the best golf on maui (Plantation coarse). Would not choose Kapalua in the winter due to rain and wind.
Wailea is more secluded then Kaanapali and more upscale. Also typically has less rain and more sun.

This has been debated several times. Do a search and you will find tons of opinions.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:43 AM

Hey CaseyBride,

Just returned from honeymoon at Four Seasons and we have nothing but great things to say about it. The hotel, its amenities, the service, everything was exactly what we were looking for. What you hear about the Wailea area that there really is no nightlife is pretty accurate. But this wasn't really a negative for us, and was honestly a draw, since we were actually looking to escape from that for a couple of weeks (being from N.Y.). My wife and I were more than happy at nite just sitting outside at Ferraro's sipping a drink or two, listening to the waves crash before us. But to each their own. The drive to get to the "nightlife" (i.e. Lahaina) from Wailea is about 30 minutes.

As far as snorkeling and hiking opportunities, there is plenty of that in the Wailea area, but you'll find great spots in Kapalua and Kaanapali as well.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 10:05 AM

I have stayed at the Ritz in Kapalua and also the Four Seasons at Wailea. The Four Seasons is more expensive than the Ritz, but a much nicer property [altho personally nothing touches the Four Seasons Hualalai on the Big Island]. I would recommend either Wailea or Kaanapali - Kapalua is out of the way and when we were there in Nov 1996 it was so windy that it was hard to sit outside and sun. The beach isn't as handy there either and the water was fairly rough.

Kaanapali is probably the best stretch of beach for length, services, etc. Wailea is nice but not quite as long - however Wailea is closer to Kihei which is a bigger town than Lahaina for shopping, less upscale dining etc. There are more hotel choices in Kaanapali.

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Four Seasons Wailea! On your honeymoon, you will enjoy the more adult-themed atmosphere of Wailea (although there are kids, just not as many), the seclusion, the upscale shopping area near-by, and the top-notch service you'll get there. My husband and I did miss the nightlife a little, but if you have a car, the drive to Lahaina is no problem and we quickly realized that we enjoyed the quiet walks on the beach at night just as much as a smokey loud bar. I'm in my mid-twenties and even though many people say that Wailea is for "mature" folks, I'd vote Wailea every time.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:09 PM

You can't go wrong with either the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton.We stayed at the Ritz for a 10 day belated honeymoon trip in Dec, 2002 and had a fabulous time!! The weather in Kapalua was PERFECT-sunny and warm with nice tradewinds to keep the heat down.I guess we were lucky or the Kapalua weather debate is overrated.Kapalua is just as private and luxurious as Wailea but much prettier-lush and green with breathtaking beaches, world class golf and tennis, fabulous dining and the Ritz itself(oh the spa there is to die for) is magnificent. No kids in sight, very peaceful.Wailea also has all of the above-I did quite a bit of shopping at the Shops at Wailea.Excellent dining choices as well. We easily could have picked the Four Seasons, but chose the Ritz and Kapalua for that trip.It was paradise!!
Wailea is quite a distance from the "action" at Kanaapali and Lahania
compared to Kapalua.We also rented a convertible and drove around quite a bit-the main highway along the beautiful coast is easy and links up all the resort areas.The Kapalua Bay hotel also looked fabulous.Both the Ritz and the Four Seasons consistently get great reviews so you will get the luxury, the seclusion and romance at either resort.Have a great time!!!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 08:04 AM

If you will be in Maui for at least 10 days, do what I will be doing, staying at the Ritz for 5 days and the Four Seasons the other 5. This way you experience both worlds!!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 10:40 AM

We are doing the same things as Pattyshearts. We are staying 5 nights as the Kapalua Bay Hotel and 5 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea.

From the research I have done and recommendations from friends and boards, I don't want to stay on Kannapali beach - period - that's why we chose Kapalua and Wailea. We wanted to stay in a place that felt authentically Hawaiian...nice but not fancy...and I think that is in essence the Kapalua Bay Hotel. PLUS, as guests at teh Kapalua Bay Hotel you can use the Ritz amenities. something to consider perhaps.

Our "itineray"...is based off of where we will be and when. First 5 nights at the Fairmont, since we want to do the sunrise bike ride down the volcano the first night/morning we are there. Snorkeling at Molokini, and surf lessons on Makena beach. Next 5 nights in Kapalua we will probably go into Lahaina, take in the luau, and rent a car and do the road to Hana.

It's working out perfectly!

good luck planning your honeymoon, and congrats!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Ka'anapali is my favorite. I have stayed there every year for the last 6 years and love it. There is a lot to do there, great snorkeling close by (even a spot in front of the Sheraton which is called "Black Rock". You should check out the Westin. If you go onto Starwood.com and sign up with them, you get 35% off of your room rate. Quite a good deal. If you have any questions about what to do, let me know. There is soooo much!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Hey Bogart---I'm impressed---Good choices, you might want to do Hana from Wailea rather than Kapalua(will save some driving time). And try to do the Bamboo Forest hike to the waterfall in Hana(it is amazing).
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 10:21 AM

Ezron, thanks for the suggestion! I only thought we would do it from Kapalua...because a friend said that you drive the road on the north coast to Hana. So, we can take the road south...staring in Wailea. or am I just confused?? I have Maui Revealed..hopefully it will help straighten me out.

Doing it from the Fairmont would be ideal anyhow...since my husband and I want to do more relaxing the last 5 days.

Thanks!
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Whether you come from Kapalua or from Wailea you take the same path to Hana, the north road as you said....it's just faster to get to the beginning of the road from Wailea than from Kapalua.