Four Seasons Wailea or Ritz Kapalua?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time to Maui- hard time deciding which one to stay at. Some say Kapaula area too crowded, some say Wailea too much of a hike from everything.

anyone been to both? thanks in advance!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM

I think you mean some people say Kaanapali can be very crowded. Kapalua is not crowded at all, and that's one big reason some people like it.

You've asked the most commonly asked question about Maui. There are probably a few hundred posts and replies about this in the archives.

The simple answer is, it depends on what you want and your vacation style. Without knowing those things, it's not possible to answer your question very well.
Kaanapali is best liked by younger people, people who want lots of activities and shopping and nightlife close by, people who don't mind the more crowded and touristy areas.
Wailea is more resort oriented, quieter, nicer hotels overall, farther from Lahaina's restaurants, better beaches than Kaanapali.
Kapalua is the quietest of the three, and the greenest/prettiest area, but it's a little cooler, windier and wetter on average.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:23 PM
gyppielou

I have enjoyed staying both areas, say 5 nights to explore Kapalua and Kaanapali and Lahaina, and 5 nights to hang in Wailea, Makena, Paia and upcountry. This way you see the best of each area, yet still relax. GL

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:25 PM

I agree, it depends on what you want. We stayed at Maui FS for our honeymoon and loved it. Had looked into Ritz, but decided on FS. A good friend is on his honeymoon right now and he also considered Ritz but ended up at FS as well. If it's beaches you want, Wailea is place to be, so go with FS. Ritz is a bit more isolated and quiet.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Just returned from Maui, loved it. We spent 8 days at the Fairmont Kea Lani, Amazing. We walked through the FS and it was stunning... really really nice.

Wailea is very nice, very classy and very relaxing. The weather is great and the beaches are nice. We drove up to the Kanapali area and the weather was unstable, rain and sun, but it was very windy. The resorts looked older and the area was not very charming. I am glad we stayed in Wailea, its stunning there.

Send me a line if you have any questions.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your replies.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Sorry for such a late reply...
We stayed at the Ritz in November of 2002 and loved it. The room, service and amenities were very nice. The area and grounds were very quiet and romantic. I have not stayed at the FS and cannot give you a good comparison though. Judging by others' replies you will not go wrong with either choice. Good luck and have fun!