Search

Maui gas situation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui gas situation

Hi! My family and I are leaving for Maui on Wednesday the 7th. I understand that there is a price control on gas in Maui. How are the lines? Is there gas? We have been planning this trip for 18 months.....sure would hate to wait in long lines to get gas with the grandchildren. We are renting 2 condos south of Kihei at the Hale Hui Kai and want to drive to Hana, Haleakala, the Ocean marine aquarium etc. Will we find gas for our rental cars????????? thanks for your information.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:07 PM

Hi hunnie,
we just returned from Maui yesterday. We did not experience long gas lines. Sure, the gas is expensive, but not significantly more than the mainland. There are two gas stations very close to your condo right on South Kihei Road. Don't even worry about it... By the way, you are in a great location. The beach in front of Hale Hui Kai is fantastic (Keawakapu (sp?) Beach.) The water is spectacular and there are not too many people on it. We stayed at the other end of this beach at Wailea Ekahi. Between you and us are multi million $ luxury homes owned by people who are not even there half of the time!! You picked the best spot. Before spending a week on Maui, we spent a week on the Big Island, and i was surprised how tiny Maui is comparatively. You will not need a lot of gas anyhow. Let me know if you have any more questions. Enjoy your trip!
Kirsten
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Kirsten thanks so much for the info. We have been to Maui twice before and it is such a lovely place to be. I had researched the area, having stayed up at Kapalua and Kannapali the last times. I love that wizard guide book and on-line information. They really have their facts straight. The book recommended this beach and condo so we went for it. It makes me feel so much better that we are staying in that area. We were on the "big island" 15 years ago and stayed on the Kono coast which is beautiful too and yes much bigger. Have you been to Kauai at all? We were there 3 years ago and highly recommend Poipou beach area. Great condos and I used the wizard guide book too! Again, thanks so much! "hunnie"
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:53 PM

Okay, I'm joining this conversation. My fiance and I are getting married on Maui Oct. 8th. I was wondering about the gas prices over there since Hurricane Katrina hit. We are also traveling to Kauai. I've never been to either island. Any tips? Must dos or must sees?

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:56 PM

I was out today and saw prices ranging from 3.24 to 3.39, fromk Wailuku to Kihei. Gas closer to the airport and tourist areas are higher. Tesoro and Chevron both have refineries in Hawai`i. The price cap is on wholesale prices only, and for Sept 5-11, the WHOLESALE cap fot Maui is at $3.20. Retailers canmark it up as much as they want from there. I expect to see an even bigger increase in prices next week, as the wholes sale cap is set based on a five-day average of prices in three markets: Los Angeles, New York and the Gulf Coast.

Today I saw on a news report that Maui no longer has the highest prices in the country. We have no shortages or panic-driven lines like I've heard about in other places. My mother tells me her neighbors outside of Tampa have gone loco with panic and are filling up spare gas cans, paying outrageous gouging prices and one gas station owner in her neighborhood is watching over his pumps with his 12-guage in hand.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the inside scoop. That is terrible! I feel so bad for all those people down there. I guess I can't complain for the gas I'll pay in Maui/Kauai considering what the Southern folks are dealing with.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

alias1
Congrats on your wedding and what a great way to honeymoon. We went to Kauai 3 years ago. Staying on the Poipu beach area was nice. Driving around the island (as far as you can) was wonderful. Terrific water falls, snorkeling up north, and hiking. Found there was more of a ocean current for snorkeling then on Maui. We also visited the Kauai coffee plantation and still order the "peaberry" coffee beans on-line. Grab yourself the wizard ultimate guide book for both islands it was so helpfull planning our trip. We are taking our "kids" and grandkids to Maui since there is more to do on this island for "kids" then Kauai. We plan to see the new Maui Ocean Center, ferry to Lanai, snorkle and hike. You will love your trip to these two islands.