Maui - Four Seasons or Ritz?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be heading to Hawaii for my first time this August with my husband. We are in our late 20s and looking to splurge in Maui at either the Four Seasons or Ritz to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. I've heard that the Ritz just finished with some major renovations and I am having trouble deciding between the two hotels. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. After Maui we will be heading to the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. We will be spending 4-5 days in each. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM

We spent a week at the FS (a few years ago) and thought it was excellent. Wonderful grounds, great staff, the usual understated luxury. Large, very well appointed accommodations. We really liked the location. A little off the beaten path so we thought it was a very peaceful environment. We had one incident which caused DW to leave a note at the front desk. Literally, within 10 min the general manager was at our door addressing the issue, which was resolved very much to our satisfaction. Would certainly recommend it.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM

I just don't like where the Ritz is located. I usually stay at the Hyatt and when driving around to the Ritz, it seems that the weather isn't as nice in that area. I have been to Maui four times, usually in late March or early to mid April, so don't know if the time of year had anything to do with the weather difference between the Hyatt and the Ritz.

I also didn't like the way the Ritz was up on a hill way above the pool and beach. Having said that, it is a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds and that area is more quiet than Kanapaali which is much closer to Lahaina.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone so much for the responses!! it looks like i am leaning towards the four seasons - bad weather would be a major bust....and ive read that several times now about that area. the ritz is slightly cheaper...ofcourse....since that is the one i am not picking!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM

It's not "bad" weather -- just slightly not-as-good weather (it can be windier and drizzlier). But I agree completely with crefloors- the biggest downside to the Ritz is that it's up on a hill.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:23 AM

Love the Four Seasons..not a fan of the Ritz in Maui but gotta tell you that the Hyatt in Kaanapali is awesome and it will save you some $$..
Costco has 6 nights with breakfast for 2 everyday for $693 pp..that is a good deal..flight not included.
Check Expedia too!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Six nights for 693.00 with breakfast?!!!!! If breakfast is at the Swan Court sign me up!!!!! That is for sure a DEAL!!!!! Wish I could go. I LOVE the Hyatt on Maui.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM

just went and got the Costco flyer...
MY BAD..it's the Westin in Ka'anapali for $769 pp and that includes a car for 6 days from Alamo, 6 nights in a partial ocean view room, $150 resort credit per room, daily buffet breakfast for two..it doesn't state the name of the restaurant, dinner for two at Ono Bar and grill up to $100, 2 day access to the spa for two, daily resort fees and internet access..valid 8/16-12/15/09

That still is one helluva a deal!
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Ksucat - thanks for the correction. I was looking at the costco vacatons the other day and was thinking it was the Westin and not the Hyatt, but agree - that's still a good deal.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:33 PM

WAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I want the Hyatt!!!!!! Just kidding, can't go anyway., and yes, that's still a great deal for sure.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:08 PM

hope the love is still there..hee hee
Westin is very nice and we have had great times there..
plus, the car, breakfast all week, $150 resort credit and $100 to Ono restaurant..
I would use the $150 for pool drinks..
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:16 PM

It is rumored that the Ritz tends to get more rain. I had friends check out and head to the FS after getting rained on every day (not teh whole day mind you).

we stayed at the FS for our honeymoon and had the most amazing time. You simply cannot beat teh FS service.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but here's another vote for the Four Seasons. I've been to both hotels and prefer the FS, both for location and amenities. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

thanks again! everyone is saying how great the hyatt is in maui....would it be a mistake to stay there instead of the four seasons? it would save some cash but is it at all comparable? it looks beautiful in the pics. we are staying at the hyatt in kauai.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 06:39 AM

No, it would not be a mistake it is a great location. Mind you I have not stayed at the Hyatt I stayed at the Westin next door, did go to Hyatt once years ago for a Luau which was nice and in 2007 for the Star Gazing and loved the grounds, lots of good reviews. I would stay there and spend the cash in either activities or shopping besides it is a great hotel. Have a great time.
Gina
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 07:18 AM

DD and her husband just returned from their second recent stay at the Ritz - both trips were business and they had no choice. They really don't like that resort very much. Too far from other things, and too far from a beach.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 08:48 AM

Stick with the Four Seasons. The service there is amazing and they don't nickel and dime you. Read the TripAdvisor reviews.
We're splitting our time between Napili Kai, which is in the vicinity of the Ritz, but dead on ocean front and the Four Seasons, for the pampering.
The biggest issue with the Ritz, in my opinion, is the beach and the way the hotel sits back from it. I haven't seen the property since it's been renovated but these were issues that couldn't be fixed.