Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Maui; enjoy sunset before dinner, or make reservation during sunset?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Deblynn

We want to enjoy some beautiful sunsets in Maui, including taking pictures! Not sure whether to try and do sunset before going to dinner or just make a reservation for sunset time and reserve early so we can request a (good view) table. Also, we don't like to eat too late! Any advice?

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went to I'o Restaurant at the south end of Lahaina twice around sunset on our last visit. They are right on the beach, with an open air covered area and a tropical garden seating area. You can watch the sunset and have wonderful food in a romantic setting.
See www.iomaui.com
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:03 PM

OK, three places where I took awesome pictures last week of the sunset. After dinner at Hula Grill at Whaler's village, took some awesome pictures.

During dinner at Plantation House in Kapalua.

From the beach at Renaissance Wailea, no dinner involved. All three came out awesome on my digital camera and it is nothing fancy.

Have fun.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:29 AM

If I had it to do over again, I would enjoy a cocktail on the beach as the sun went down, and THEN go to dinner. Much better IMO.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:59 AM

There are plenty of west coast spots to enjoy a sunset without the dinner... sunset these days being around 7PM. Many public beaches (some behind the big hotels on the south side) have good views. Io in Lahaina is a fine restaurant if you want to do both; or just enjoy it from the waterside walk and then pick a place to dine later.

In any case, be sure that your viewing point actually faces west and isn't stuck inside the rim of a cove where your view is blocked, as happens often at many "sunset view" restaurants in Waikiki like Duke's.

(Don't forget that the best pictures are made when the sun is behind a horizon cloud or has tipped just below the horizon... Also, while the sun is still visible, with luck some surfers or a sailboat may cut across your view for a great silhouette.)
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM

When the sun starts going down in Maui everyone stops whatever they are doing and heads for the western shores. It's like a sun worshipping cult! A sunset dinner at a prime oceanfront restaurant means advance reservations...maybe days in advance {and you may not get a prime seating location}. It's up to you.

Some good advice given to us was to try to be in a different location for sunset every day. It's easier taking pictures while not having to worry about dinner getting cold.

Duster